Back to my Roots

Born to fly
new reply
1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Back to my Roots

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Scott,

It's funny how life is sometimes....... things that meant so much to you years ago that you just didn't realize until you get older.... more mature or something.

I've been Flightsimming many years now. Cut my teeth (so to speak) on FS3 when it first came out in the days where ground was flat.... green and the sky blue. I can only remember the Cessna 182RG...Sopwith Camel... and Learjet and can't really recall if there was much of anything else. I fell in love with that program.....loved flying the 182 and spent many hours behind the stick. Even mailed my computer to Okinawa a couple of times when I was deployed for 6 months...... took the computer on two 6 month Westpac floats just so I could get a little flying in while steaming across the Pacific..... Yep..... I love Flightsimming!!!! (smile)

However, it wasn't until this mornings flight in the Cub that everything really came back to me.....why I fell in love with the flightsimming to begin with and what really got me started. As I took off on a dawn flight this A.M., armed with that first cup of coffee..... everything was just simple again. No FMC to program...... no GPS to haul up..... no real radios to really tune or Nav stations to look up........ just the cup of coffee and the wonderful quite morning flight enjoying the beauty of where FlightSim and creative artist have taken this wonderful hobbie!!

I spent many years in Aviation as an Avionics Tech working or teaching on about everything the Marine Corps had to offer in my time....... but I used to find peace and quite long ago in that little 182 just waking up in the morning with a cup of coffee and my little "quite space." Thanks to you and your team....... All is now right with the world once again. (smile)

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Back to my Roots

Post by Alan_A »

Couldn't agree more. I started about the same time (FS for Apple Macintosh in 1986) and had the same kind of experience. Then, somewhere along the way, it got very complicated and stopped being fun. The Cub has set the balance back to where it was and where I want it to be.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”