The Cub's flight model - Flare after glide

Born to fly
new reply
skunker
Senior Airman

The Cub's flight model - Flare after glide

Post by skunker »

Hey guys,
Let me first say that I have only spent about a total of 5 minutes or so flying the Cub. Also, I am also not sure if my realism settings are set correctly. With that said, I wanted to make an observation. I only have about 20+ hours in a J3 Cub in real life.....and the A2A cub seems to be 99% like the real thing...HOWEVER...I'm not sure about the flare after breaking the glide during final approach. It seems that it goes on a little too long...and I can't seem to touch down. I can't seem to bleed off the airspeed...

What are you all using as your approach speeds? I"m typically at 55 or so.

Private-Cowboy
Senior Airman

Re: The Cub's flight model - Flare after glide

Post by Private-Cowboy »

Much lower here, around 45 for me. I bleed off speed and alt in a slip and just before touchdown I pull her straight. I was very surprised to see that you can practically land the Tundra Cub on a helipad. All it needs is a little bit of headwind, not even much.

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

Yea, I have to slip everytime just to land in FSX...even with just 2mph wind. But in real life I never really had to do that. I'm going to fly some more. Thanks.

Private-Cowboy
Senior Airman

Post by Private-Cowboy »

Well I fly higher than I have to to find the airfields (those unmarked and ICAO-less ones) and make a plan how to land there. And then I've to bleed of speed and alt quickly. Slip comes in handy there. I think that's not the way to do it in real life though. :mrgreen:

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Private-Cowboy wrote:I was very surprised to see that you can practically land the Tundra Cub on a helipad. All it needs is a little bit of headwind, not even much.
During beta testing I was able to take off and land the stock Cub in the width of the runway at Courcheval in the French Alps in a 27 knot crosswind at 90° to the runway. I then moved over to the helipads and took off and landed on them when going diagonally from corner to corner. It's a lot of fun doing that. :lol:
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Post by Li'lJugs »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
Private-Cowboy wrote:I was very surprised to see that you can practically land the Tundra Cub on a helipad. All it needs is a little bit of headwind, not even much.
During beta testing I was able to take off and land the stock Cub in the width of the runway at Courcheval in the French Alps in a 27 knot crosswind at 90° to the runway. I then moved over to the helipads and took off and landed on them when going diagonally from corner to corner. It's a lot of fun doing that. :lol:
Yes, but is that realistic?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

J-3 pilot's swear they can get in and out of places that no other aircraft can.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Warbirdflyer21
Airman

Post by Warbirdflyer21 »

Ok this is what i do and i touchdown perfect. i come in with a little left or right rudder and keep my wings and speed constant with a little power when i get about 30 feet of the runway i staightin up and flare the rudder keeps it constant where u want it. i land about 35-40 mph. try it make sure autorudder is off though.

mdhurst
Airman

Post by mdhurst »

Li'lJugs wrote: Yes, but is that realistic?
Here's a Cub landing in what appears to be about half its own length...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPSElw8qEsI

Okay, I think it's a Super Cub (flaps), but still...
MarkH

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

That is definitely a Super Cub. The easiest way to spot a non-J3 Cub is the lack of an exposed engine.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”