Cub Issues [resolved]

Born to fly
Deryl
Airman

Cub Issues [resolved]

Post by Deryl »

Just purchased the Cub but I have a couple of problems to report.

First is that my Altimeter does not appear to work at all.

Second is that I have very weird aileron control. It seems impossible to hold any amount of bank using aileron input as the aircraft wants to immediately return to straight and level. In fact FULL aileron input only results in a modest 15 to 20 degree bank. It is then necessary to HOLD full aileron to retain an even shallower bank angle. So for now I using rudder only to make my turns.

I will continue to fly and see what else I can report.

Any ideas?

Markoz
Senior Airman

Re: Cub Issues

Post by Markoz »

Hi Deryl.

I have found that the slower I am flying the harder it is to turn. I get the same results as you, it struggles to bank more than 10-15 degrees if that. If I add some throttle and/or a bit more nose down so I gain speed the Cub turns so much better.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be the way it is or if it's a glitch. (Sorry Scott and Co. as I have still not read the manual as this girl (the plane, not Heidi) is so much fun to fly! In fact it is harder to land than it is to fly!).

Hope this helps a bit Deryl.

Sorry. But I just had to give more praise to Scott and the Team as they deserve all that they get and more! :mrgreen:

Mark
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

You have just been Accusim'ed... or rather, learned a couple of lessons perhaps?

The altimeter only reads thousands of feet. There is no hand for hundreds. Just a single long hand, and the numbers themselves represent x1000.

As for the aileron deflection, this is a known traight of the Piper Cub. We actually have a video (that perhaps Scott will show) that does a 1 for 1 comparison of aileron deflection against that of a real Cub. The role rates are identical. This is also why one won't see a Cub perform a "roll" at an airshow often, as it takes the plane to the limits of what it is capable of. The return to center is natural for a cub, and often much earlier aircraft of the 20th century. Often a bit of rudder is required to hold the turn, or at least establish it. This was one of the traits that made it a good training aircraft. Some of the other folks here may wish to chime in from the dev team who are Cub fliers... but by all accounts we have been told the roll rate is spot on. Scott's experience in the Cub's he flew in also reflect this.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Deryl
Airman

Post by Deryl »

Yes - I have no real problem with the "roll rate" but I find I cannot bank beyond 15 or 20 degrees even while holding full aileron input - I find it impossible to believe the real cub behaves like this. Further, in a real plane when I establish a certain degree of bank I can neutralize the aileron input and the aircraft will pretty much remain at that bank angle for a time. With this cub, it is impossible to establish any bank at all...the moment one even begins to neutralize the aileron input the aircraft immediately and aggressively returns to straight and level. In order to hold any bank at all you have to hold full aileron the entire time and then you may get be able to hold a modest 10 degree bank angle. Anything resembling a steep turn seems impossible even at higher speeds...unless you aggressively use rudder inputs...but this introduces its own control problems.

And yes - I now see that the Altimeter is calibrated in thousands of feet so that explains that.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Sounds like there is really something wrong with your controls, but I have no idea what. The Cub banks slowly but easily all the way. Hell, she can even knife edge as Heidi can testify. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Deryl,

We had one mysterious issue during beta with this exact issue- can't roll more and the aircraft wants to aggressively return to level flight, almost like a super dihedral effect. Ultimately, it turned out to be a corrupt FSX installation. I know this sounds crazy, but we removed and re-installed FSX and then the Cub, and all was well. Do you have a very complex FSX installation, if not and I do not recommend this lightly, but I would uninstall, remove all traces of FSX, then re-install.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

Scott - A2A wrote:I do not recommend this lightly, but I would uninstall, remove all traces of FSX, then re-install.

Scott.
Ouch! I have found that it can get as excessive for me as it does for Deryl. I can't tell you how many times in recent months I have reinstalled FSX. This would be a case of "Oh no. Not again!" for me. But in the end it will be worth it. Of that I am sure.

I might do it early tomorrow after a good nights sleep though. I'm too tired right now seeing as I haven't had any sleep in the last 38 hours. :mrgreen:

Mark
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

What's your controllers setup in FSX (deadzones, motion range)? Maybe ailerons don't deflect fully on your systems.
Michael Krawczyk

Deryl
Airman

Post by Deryl »

Well, I guess I'll just stop flying this cub for now.

There is no way I'm going to reinstall FSX when every other aircraft is working just fine. Down the road perhaps I will be forced to reinstall but for now I have too complex a setup (REX, FTX, etc...etc...) to consider it worthwhile.

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

I've just switched over to my other OS (Windows 7 RC1 x64) and everything is working great! The Cub turns beautifully, no sluggishness at all. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and reinstall FSX in my Windows XP Pro now.

Oh well. Such is life! :mrgreen:

ImageImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

OK, I am on the phone with Harry atm, and it turns out he has a temporary motherboard installed. We went through all checks and I do not believe there is any conflict, but we have confirmed the issue is resolved when our sound system is disabled. Our sound system is open source and is working on over 99% of installs, but this issue I suspect is due to some odd sound driver conflict in the system.

CODY:
I recall you having a similar issue after replacing your motherboard, the same one you mentioned in this thread. I think he may have the same issue you had. Can you walk him through what you did, if you recall?

EDIT:
His older motherboard used Sound MAX drivers. When he installed his new motherboard, he had no sound. He then installed the Realtek drivers and now has sound.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Before reinstalling FSX, you can try to backup and delete your FSX settings:

Go to "C:\Users\<username_here>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" (that's on Vista / 7 on XP this path is different) and delete files fsx.cfg and Controls/Standard.XML. FSX will rebuild them at the next start with default values, just like after clean reinstall.
Michael Krawczyk

CODY614
Senior Airman

Post by CODY614 »

Scott - A2A wrote:OK, I am on the phone with Harry atm, and it turns out he has a temporary motherboard installed. We went through all checks and I do not believe there is any conflict, but we have confirmed the issue is resolved when our sound system is disabled. Our sound system is open source and is working on over 99% of installs, but this issue I suspect is due to some odd sound driver conflict in the system.

CODY:
I recall you having a similar issue after replacing your motherboard, the same one you mentioned in this thread. I think he may have the same issue you had. Can you walk him through what you did, if you recall?

EDIT:
His older motherboard used Sound MAX drivers. When he installed his new motherboard, he had no sound. He then installed the Realtek drivers and now has sound.

Scott.
Scott...It was a new "Hard Drive" for me.
I simply forgot to update the drivers for the sound card when I was all done.But that solved it.
SB Audigy sound cards always have been "Quirky?"

Jeff

Deryl
Airman

Post by Deryl »

I too recently installed a new hard drive so I decided to give Cody's suggestion a try. I updated all drivers on my sound devices and restarted my computer. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the cub but still encounter the same problem.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Try Mike's suggestion for my issue. If there are different motherboards being installed with the same hardware, there may be more than one specific .dll that may be conflicting. In my case, I removed my old soundmax.dll, and everything started working like a champ afterwards.

Anyways, post your reports please.
some1 - A2A wrote:Can you both run this little program: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... Viewer.zip, select File->save info and paste the results here? This can tell what's the difference between your setups.

Mine for example looks like this:

Code: Select all

------------------
System Information
------------------
                  Report Time: 2009/3/29 23:0:17
                           OS: Windows Vista Business Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
                         BIOS: 022008 - 20080220
                    Processor: ~3500MHz Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
                       Memory: 4 GB
    Default Audio Device Name: Speakers (ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device)
       Audio Driver Vendor ID: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82751043&REV_00
         ALCapsViewer Version: 1.0.2.0

-----------------
OpenAL Components
-----------------
Name            Path                    Version        
OpenAL32.dll    C:\Windows\system32\    6.14.357.23    
Cm_Oal.dll      C:\Windows\system32\    1.0.0.1        
wrap_oal.dll    C:\Windows\system32\    2.2.0.5        

--------------
OpenAL Devices
--------------