Small Simconnect issue

Born to fly
new reply
Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Small Simconnect issue

Post by Alan_A »

I didn't want to bring up a glitch in the "Perfect" thread... especially since this one is so small... but I wanted to bring it to your attention.

In cockpit view, pressing A cycles me through the different views, all the way to the outside prop start view, as per normal. If I press A one more time to continue the cycle, I get a cockpit view that includes several different 2D windows - map, radio and one of the setup dialogues (I forget which). At that point the screen freezes and the mouse pointer changes to the circular icon that indicates something is loading or processing. Track IR is locked out. From that point on, I'm unable to change views or manipulate any controls either in the cockpit or on the keyboard. I was able to exit the flight by hitting escape. When I reloaded, I got a message in a green bar that told me that there had been a Simconnect failure, and that certin Cub functions would not be available.

I solved the problem by exiting Flight Simulator and reloading. However, every time I tried to cycle camera views forward from the prop view, the same thing happened.The workaround is to back out of the prop view via SHIFT-A. If I do that I can get all the way back to the cockpit with no problems. All the 2-D windows work fine on their own. It's only the combined view that creates problems.

Specs are: Core i7 965 @ 4.0, 6gb OCZ DDR3 RAM @ 8-8-8-24, EVGA GTX 280 SSC, Forceware 182.5, Nhancer 2.4.5, FSUIPC 4.5.0.0, TrackIR4 hardware running on TrackIR5 software. I disconnected a Saitek Proflight Switch Panel but that didn't seem to help.

Doesn't detract from an amazing product but if you guys know of a fix, I'd be glad to apply it.

Thanks in advance!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Dangerous Beans
Staff Sergeant

Re: Small Simconnect issue

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I had a similar problem yesterday while setting up CumulasX and Simprobe for the DiscusX
Only difference was I didn't have to cycle the views, it happened as soon as I loaded the plane.
A Windows restart fixed it though.

Asus Strix Z270H
i7-7700K
16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
MSI GTX 1070 GamingX
Corsair H100i V2 Cooler
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case
Asus VE276Q 27" Monitor 1920x1080
Win 10

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Thanks - now that you mention it, I should have tried a Windows restart. Was too eager to get into the air, however. I'll try that now and see if it helps.

Am on Vista 64, by the way - should have mentioned that in my first message.

EDIT: No luck, I'm afraid. Had the same problem after the Windows restart. After the lockup, after about 15 seconds, the view cycled back to the cockpit, but with Track IR still frozen. Then it switched to tower view, and there were serious video artifacts - block white sky, big color blocks, etc. Finally had to use Task Manager to close FSX. So I'm still open to suggestion. Again, not a huge problem as long as I can remember to go backward, not forward, from the prop view to the cockpit.

Anybody got additional thoughts?

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

Hi Alan.
I don't have Vista x64 but I do have Windows 7 x64. I can try in that but I'm not sure if that will really achieve anything. I don't have my TrackIR 4 installed on it either but I might give it a go, just to see.
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

GAJIT
Airman

Post by GAJIT »

Yes - i have been getting that issue. I can just restart the flight and get it flying but still have the message on screen re Simconnect.

Fantastic product A2A - well done everyone involved.

Regards

GJ

Ben6745
Airman

Post by Ben6745 »

When doing something, I got a "There has been a SimConnect failure, some Cub functions will be disabled". I don't know what simconnect is even...it said restarting may help, so I did. But mine does not freeze up like Alan's does. I can keep flying just fine.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

For what it's worth, this is similar - not identical, but similar - to a lockup I started getting after upgrading REX to version 2.0, and using REX as the weather engine. In earlier (pre-Cub) instances, I'd get the lockup when using the Saitek switch panel - it'd freeze, and in the process Track IR would lock up. At first I thought REX was to blame - there were some issues with its rewriting parts of the EXE.XML file. But this was addressed in a patch, and I have the right EXE.XML references for the Saitek panel in place. Then, last night, I got the same lockup using ASA as the weather engine, and REX only for textures. So it's clearly not a REX (or REX-only) issue. And today's lockup happened after I'd disconnected the Saitek panel. Maybe there's something affecting the way Track IR addresses Simconnect - if it does. Does it? So far, this is proving really hard to isolate. Thankfully not Cub showstopper since as noted I can back out of the prop camera, but I'd still like to get it sorted out.

I'll keep working it at my end, but if anybody has any additional insights, I'm open.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”