Cub is in beta

Born to fly
lukecrowley571
Airman Basic

Re: Cub is in beta

Post by lukecrowley571 »

maxter wrote: Yes indeed, a Hurri would be just awesome.

Cheers and thanks,
+1 :D

paul diergaarde
Airman

Post by paul diergaarde »

Nice aircraft. But why? There are already many good Piper Cubs around. Accusim on an aircraft with a simple engine manegement as the Cub? Really no need!

Why not devote your efforts to the aircraft A2A started with (WWII)?
Some examples:
The B29 (the ONLY good one available)
The Lancaster (never updated to a good standard)
A Halifax? Stirling? Wellington? Mosquito? Tempest? Typhoon? Sunderland? A26? B26 Marauder? B25?He111? Ju88? Do17? Fw2000 Condor? Me110? He177!
General accusim for all RR Merlin/ Griffon engines.

Don't do the P51D, Spitfire Vb, IX, B24, Fw190, B17, PBY, P38: there are now perfectly good alternatives available. Fortunately First Class simulations will have a good (no fs2004 model in fsx) Lancaster available soon (11/09).

Looking for good news,

Paul

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

paul diergaarde wrote:Nice aircraft. But why? There are already many good Piper Cubs around. Accusim on an aircraft with a simple engine manegement as the Cub? Really no need!
To broaden the customer base? There are some great aircraft in the A2A portfolio. But frankly: without the ability of combat in FSX I rather invest my money in civilian addon aircraft. That's why the Cub will be my first aircraft from A2A ever. You see, it worked already. One more customer.

Besides: there definitely isn't any rendition of the Cub out there that comes even close to this one.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

lawdawg
Senior Airman

Post by lawdawg »

Jigsaw wrote:
paul diergaarde wrote:Nice aircraft. But why? There are already many good Piper Cubs around. Accusim on an aircraft with a simple engine manegement as the Cub? Really no need!
To broaden the customer base? There are some great aircraft in the A2A portfolio. But frankly: without the ability of combat in FSX I rather invest my money in civilian addon aircraft. That's why the Cub will be my first aircraft from A2A ever. You see, it worked already. One more customer.

Besides: there definitely isn't any rendition of the Cub out there that comes even close to this one.

I agree wholly.
Chad (PAEN)

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

lawdawg wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

I agree wholly.
Same here. This will be my first A2A purchase, too.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

My first A2A purchase will be the Cub. I guess it's because the Cub is actually an airplane that the average Joe can fly in real life....

moore1018
Airman Basic

Post by moore1018 »

I'll add to the list that I'm a new A2A customer as well...specifically because of the Cub. I am currently training for my Light Sport license in a Champ in the RW, and the engine management features in the A2A Cub will help practicing my checklists. Sure they're not long lists, but the simulated repetition will pay off (for me anyway). Can't wait for the Cub!

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

moore1018 wrote:I'll add to the list that I'm a new A2A customer as well...specifically because of the Cub. I am currently training for my Light Sport license in a Champ in the RW, and the engine management features in the A2A Cub will help practicing my checklists. Sure they're not long lists, but the simulated repetition will pay off (for me anyway). Can't wait for the Cub!
That's exactly what I'm doing, too. I actually delayed my checkride in a Cub because I want to practice in A2A's Cub!

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

Jigsaw wrote:

I agree! I don't care about military aircraft. It was the release of the B-377 that drew my attention to A2A Simulations. I really hope that they will produce even more civilian vintage aircraft, like a DC-3 or -4, or whatever.

Besides, I have yet to see those "many good Piper Cubs around" that can compete with this new model.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Nico wrote:Besides, I have yet to see those "many good Piper Cubs around" that can compete with this new model.
Yes, agreed.

I have to admit I'm also getting frustrated with this notion that complex is always good and interesting, and simple is never interesting and not worthy of the Accu-Sim treatment. It's a little like saying that those SPI board wargames are better than chess, because the SPI game comes with thousands of pieces and a detailed map and a set of rules as thick as a phone book, whereas chess is always the same board and the same pieces and they don't even look like soldiers...

I'm looking forward to playing chess with the Cub and its engine...

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Alan_A wrote:I have to admit I'm also getting frustrated with this notion that complex is always good and interesting, and simple is never interesting and not worthy of the Accu-Sim treatment.
Yeah, and it's also implying that Scott and Co. didn't think it through before investing months of hard work in creating the Cub and the Accu-Sim treatment for this little bird. It's somewhat insulting. I think some trust in judgment is in order here.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

lukecrowley571
Airman Basic

Post by lukecrowley571 »

Another first-time A2A customer here (I'm not counting BOBII). I'm really looking forward to the Cub, but if you guys Accu-simmed a P-51D or Hurricane, I'd snap that up in a heartbeat...

maxter
Airman First Class

Post by maxter »

Mmmmmmm, an Accusimmed DC-4, now you're talking. That would be awesome.

For that matter, any old propliner.

Cheers,
Core i7 4790 | O/C 4.9 Ghz | 32GB 2xRipjaws-X 16G DDR3-1866 RAM
Gigabyte GTX980| 3 x Phillips 21"
2 V300 240gb SSD RAID OS | 2 x Barracuda 3Tb SATA3 HD's in RAID
Antec P193| Corsair 1000W
Aviation photo gallery http://www.christopherbporter.com

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Jigsaw wrote:
Alan_A wrote:I have to admit I'm also getting frustrated with this notion that complex is always good and interesting, and simple is never interesting and not worthy of the Accu-Sim treatment.
Yeah, and it's also implying that Scott and Co. didn't think it through before investing months of hard work in creating the Cub and the Accu-Sim treatment for this little bird. It's somewhat insulting. I think some trust in judgment is in order here.
Well, what this really shows is that it's hard for a company that's known for one thing to do something different - especially when the one thing has an intensely loyal following, and when the work is such that it takes months to hand-craft a product. A2A made its name on warbirds, and developed a warbird-fan following, and it makes sense that some of them would think, "well, all those Cub hours could have gone into a Hurricane/B-29/Brewster Buffalo/etc." If, say, PMDG did a warbird, the reaction from the airliner crowd would probably be similar.

But yes, it'd be nice if some of our warbird friends could take the leap of faith with A2A and see what the Cub experience is like.

As a newcomer to A2A and to Accu-Sim, it's entirely possible, as I've mentioned before, that I'll migrate from the Cub to the Jug... and maybe even to the Stratocruiser. When I first became an airplane fan a long time ago, I was airliners-only, and if Flight Simulator had been available in 1970 or thereabouts, I wouldn't have looked at anything else. At the moment the rest of my life is such that I need simple airplanes and less, not more, adrenaline. But sometimes I think that managing a big propliner would take me back...

Aztec73
Airman

Post by Aztec73 »

Well I have to say that the Cub was a plane that was used in combat and not just as an observer.
The Cub used in the D-Day invasion They had a 10 Cubs on a converted landing craft, It had a 300 foot runway down the center of it with room for 4 cubs on the main platform, and another 6 standing on their props, 3 down each side. I have pictures of this craft.

The Cub was also used to drop 50 lb bombs. This version patrolled the east coast waters of the US and Canada looking for subs.
The rocket version that was in the forum a bit earlier was not used as a rocket launcher, but to ferry rockets from the stocks of munitions to the airfields.
It was used as an air ambulance, to haul wounded from the front lines,this was before the helicopter was used , Piper converted many of the J-3 type aircraft for many different applications during the war years. So in fact the J-3 was a warbird it had many different rolls. One other thing you must know,

I think it is an important fact a Piper Cub with a lycoming engine remained aloft for 535 hours and 45 minutes by two pilots named Baxter, And McDanials. they refueled without landing from a speeding truck with a roof platform,that had the fuel cans, they trailed a rope with a hook on it and they picked up two 5 gallon tanks of fuel each time ,the only reason they had to come down was due to exhaustion. The runway the truck used was only 3500 ft. so it was a tricky situation, due to darkness and wind and weather.This was in 1939 Thier are many more records that this little plane has, and still has that are in the book.
It is called the Legendary Piper Cub,by Caroll V. Glines

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”