Mustang engine stops producing power above 13,500 feet.

Arguably the finest fighter of the second world war
new reply
elparker
Airman First Class

Mustang engine stops producing power above 13,500 feet.

Post by elparker »

I discovered yesterday it was difficult to climb above 11,000 feet in the Mustang. Today flight tests revealed the engine stopped producing power above 13,500. At first I thought the engine had quit but soon discovered the prop was still turning at 2,500 rpm. So I did a test flight starting at 25,000 where I encountered the same problem. The manifold pressure had dropped to 10 and recovered to normal pressures when I descended below 13,500. It is though the supercharger had quit. My instrument panel has a high blower switch but the switch cannot be used.

The software is WOP WW2 Fighters.

Anyone else have this problem?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Mustang engine stops producing power above 13,500 feet.

Post by Killratio »

There seems to be a problem with FSX and the way reciprocating engines work as altitude increases. It is not generally noticable with GA aircraft as you rarely fly above 12,000 but Warbirds are affected.

If it is of any comfort, Accu-sim completely overcomes this limitation...so when the '51 is done, the problem will dissapear.

Sorry, I can't comment on the technical side of what the problem is, just the practical that you have already experienced.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

elparker
Airman First Class

Post by elparker »

Further testing reveals it is not just a problem with FSX. It does the same thing in FS2004.

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

make sure your changing the mixture control as you increase altitude
ImageImageImage

elparker
Airman First Class

Post by elparker »

The Flight manual says the mixture is to be set to automatic throughout all flight regimes.

I discovered today the P-47 does not have a problem with loss of power at altitude. So I went into the Aircraft.cfg files of both aircraft and compared the engine settings. Somehow the P-51 cfg file had the critical altitude setting to 24,000 (+/-) and all the turbocharger settings were set to zero. So I reset the P-51 to the same settings as the P-47 and went flying. Voila! No loss of power.

The settings for the P-51 are probably set too low but at least it works.

brettt777
Airman

Post by brettt777 »

Sounds to me like your supercharger is not in auto mode. Above like, 12-14,000 feet, the supercharger will automatically switch to high speed and you should have plenty of power.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Keep in mind, prior to the WOP3 Mustang, the blower is not accessible on the P-51. This all changed with Accu-Sim, but the original Mustang developed for FS2004 does not have this option. The biggest single problem you are running into is that the mixture needs to be adjusted in order to get proper power output, since this predates the auto mixture coding that was done with the first Accu-Sim aircraft, the 377.

There are two ways to get the aircraft to perform properly, first set the auto-mixture on in settings or alternatively in the aircraft.cfg set the automixture there.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

elparker,

This almost sounds like a problem in FSX's SimConnect. Just leave your mixture in RUN. Make sure your RAM AIR on the lower left panel in the cockpit is set to RAM.

When you take off, full throttle, 3000RPM, what manifold pressure do you see?
What is it at 7,000ft?
12,000 feet?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P51 Mustang”