Help!! No Instrument Panel!!

The US WWII front line fighter in the Pacific
new reply
rss
Airman Basic

Help!! No Instrument Panel!!

Post by rss »

The people at A2A Sims and/or Aircraft Factory should be given a big thumbs up for the the fine job they did on the F4U Corsair.

When I first flew the beast, however, I noticed that there was no real instrument panel; only the 6 basic Microsoft default gauges. I thought this was normal, but several items I have read imply that I should be able to get a panel, at least to eliminate the rockets. Hitting the 'W' key cycles back and forth between the six basic gauges and a clear (no gauges, only an outside view) screen.

I am running FSX w/Accel Pack and a 1920x1200 monitor on a stable Core i7 PC system. All other FSX aircraft work as expected, including the Microsoft planes and an A2ASim B-17.

Graciously,
Robert

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Help!! No Instrument Panel!!

Post by Scott - A2A »

I am not sure I understand, but there is no 2d panel in the corsair. Are you unable to see the virtual 3d cockpit? Have you tried hitting your A key while in the cockpit?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

rss
Airman Basic

Post by rss »

Thank you, Scott! I'm sorry, I actually have TWO concerns here:

1) If there is NO "2D" cockpit, then the virtual "3D" cockpit should match the picture on page 13 of the PDF user guide. As far as I can tell, however, I am getting (seeing) only a small portion of the advertised cockpit. This portion shows only the top center of the panel and contains only the gunsight, gun controls and bomb release controls. (Perhaps my "not so common" screen resolution of 1920x1200 has something to do with this. This software was probably designed when 4:3 aspect ratios were most common.)

2) Acc to the guide, I can lose the drop tanks and the rockets, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it; at least not without a complete instrument panel. The PDF user guide says I can (at least) lose the rockets by hitting the "switch furthest back on the right." From what I can actually see, these would be the bomb release switches, but none of them are effective in any combination.

Thanks VERY Much!
Robert

rss
Airman Basic

Post by rss »

I discovered that hitting the '-' (minus) key while viewing the 'virtual' cockpit reveals more of the specified instrument panel. But at it's lowest resolution, I am only getting about HALF of what's pictured on page 13 of the user guide.

I am still having no luck losing the rockets or drop tanks.

rs

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

we assume that the buyers of our products have some familarality of MSFS before they buy. The VC is an entire 3d modelled cockpit, the eyepoint can be moved , and zoomed etc.

Please refer to the FSX manual and control list for the default functions.

- + are the default zoom, default hat switch would be for looking around etc. Holding down the space bar and moving the mouse is another default viewpoint control.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rss
Airman Basic

Post by rss »

Begging your pardon, most aircraft come with 2D panels, so I have never had to use a 3D panel. My joystick "hat" control does a fine job of moving through the 3DCP.

New found curiosity, however, bade me check out all the other FSX aircraft on the system and the F4U's is clearly the best; certainly obsoleting the idea of a 2D cockpit!

With full panel access, I was able to eliminate both the drop tanks and the rockets, although the amount of user guide text devoted to this procedure is not consistent with its importance.

Many thanks for your attention on this matter. German dictionary in hand, I'm off to download the Heinkel Uhu.

Robert

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good stuff Robert,

2d cockpits are fast becoming old technology, FSX itself being geared toward the new system of Virtual cockpit + 2d pop ups as opposed to the old style of 2d cockpit, 2d pop ups.

There is now a whole host of mods for the virtual cockpit, from head tracking with TrackIR to adding bumps and virtual head movements with I believe a product called EzDok.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “F4U Corsair”