Comparison

The US WWII front line fighter in the Pacific
vgbaron
Airman First Class

Comparison

Post by vgbaron »

Don't quite know how to frame this question. I get the impression that the Airplane Factgory brand is going to be a "very good quality for the price" type as opposed to "top quality". Looking at the screenshots, it appears that the Corsair panel is bare bones, little texture but more than adequate for flying. The outside visual model looks great and I would assume the flight model and sound are very good.

I love the WOP P-51. How would you compare the workmanship on the P-51 with the Corsair?

Thanx,

Vic

skarden
Airman Basic

Re: Comparison

Post by skarden »

Actually thats just how the corsairs pit looks,nice and spread out gauge's with most of the switch's down on the side panels,I'v always liked it,nice and uncluttered :)

although I too am curious as if there is a proper start up or just a ctr+e deal only,either way I think I'll be getting it as I'v always thought it was such a cool looking plane.

vgbaron
Airman First Class

Post by vgbaron »

I agree - my uncle was in the Air Force and when I was a kid he made me a balsa model of the Corsair. Always thought it was cool too!

I'll probably get it also - only had one product from A2A that I didn't like and it was my personal preferences, not the product - the P-40. For some reason I just didn't like the feel of it.

Vic

stearmanaviator
Airman First Class

Post by stearmanaviator »

This should help with the Operating Procedures.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/web_ ... 07159.html

David

vgbaron
Airman First Class

Post by vgbaron »

That's a good film - I've seen it before.

vgbaron
Airman First Class

Post by vgbaron »

LOL! I actually got my answer by reading the home page.

Think I'll pass on this one. Perhaps the WOP barn will come up with one that's a little 'meatier'.

Vic

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

I've been flying the F4U and can honestly say it's 99% as good as the original WOP birds. Same quality inside and out IMHO. Virtual cockpit is just as good too. There might still be a few little niggles here and there but I'm sure they'll be fixed asap.

Some things will have to remain as they are. An example and explanation from Rob: "there is no wing fold lock in FS default system hence our lock has no impact on anything except for fun of twisting and moving it up and down". Tho I'm sure once you are airborne you won't try and fold the wings... Or will you? :roll: LOL
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

vgbaron
Airman First Class

Post by vgbaron »

OK, I'll take your word for it. I'll give it a try. I love the a/c and A2A has a good rep.

Thanx!

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

It certainly isn't a "ctrl-e" aircraft. Nowhere near as much systems depth as the Accu-Sim ones, for obvious reasons, but nonetheless, there are plenty of switches and buttons to click - even if they don't have the desired effect yet.

Ian P.

tracyq144
Airman Basic

Post by tracyq144 »

I am downloading it now, I think it may be right up my alley.

I have the Accusim Jug, and love it, but I am also time challenged in that I can only get into FSX for a couple of hours a week, and sometimes just like to sightsee. Favorite plane for that so far has been the Realair Scout package, but, lovely as they are, they are a little slow, LOL.

This may fill the bill for a faster plane than doesn't take a memorization course.

I know, I am a lightweight.

But that doesn't make me a bad person! :lol:

skarden
Airman Basic

Post by skarden »

Cheers for that Ian,exactlly what a wanted to know,i'll definitely be grabbing this beauty 8)

stansdds
Airman

Post by stansdds »

It's not A2A or AccuSim quality, but it is the only FSX native -1 series Corsair. I bought it, I find the -1D cockpit to be the most accurate. Not perfect, but it will keep me busy for a while. The exterior models have some accuracy issues and the -1A and -1C cockpits also have some inaccuracies. I hope that many of these will be fixed via a patch at some point in the future. I don't regret spending the money for this one, just don't buy it expecting it to be near perfect.

And yes, I am a very harsh critic when it comes to the Corsair. I've been an avid fan and researcher of the type since 1977. If there's an error, odds are that I will spot it in a nanosecond.

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

The flaps control levers on the right panel are also wrong. IIRC those were connected to hydraulics valves operating the flaps, and worked like the electric switches in P-47. Push forward - it opens, pull back - it closes, center to stop motion.

This is demonstrated on the instructional video which part of can be found here:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 40PXmWrR5J
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

8thFG
Airman First Class

Post by 8thFG »

How does it compare to the old Aeroplane Heaven Corsair for FS2004?

stansdds
Airman

Post by stansdds »

I think it is on par with the AH offering. The external model of the Aircraft Factory Corsair has better proportions than the AH Corsairs. If you liked the AH F4U-1 package for FS9, then I think you will like the Aircraft Factory F4U-1 package for FSX. Bear in mind that neither package is offering a 100% correct model of the Corsair. Here's a quick review I posted on another site.
Well, I've taken it for a quick spin around the airport. Ground handling is pretty easy with judicious use of rudder and brakes. Takeoff was fairly uneventful and the torque is controllable with plenty of right rudder. It flies well and landing, other than poor visibility over the nose, is pretty straightforward. So it seems to handle as I would expect a Corsair to handle. I've not flown it with one of my -1 series manuals in my lap, so I can't say it's completely faithful, but it did feel right. I did notice a 4 to 7 fps hit while on or near the ground in this aircraft. Above about 1000 feet I was running 23 to 24 fps and my system is locked at 24 fps.

There's quite a bit of variation in the cockpits of the real Corsairs and it looks like this offering uses a -1D cockpit as the basis for all three versions. It's nicely done, but not entirely accurate for the -1A or -1C. The -1C has gun arming switches for three guns per wing, the center switch should be blocked off. The -1A cockpit should not have the HVAR control box. The engine priming switch should be spring loaded, not a standard toggle switch.

Now for the really bad. The exterior model leaves a bit to be desired. There are some inaccuracies in the wing root air inlets. Only early -1A's had a landing light, all Corsairs through the -4 series had the three recognition lights under the starboard outer wing panel (never under the fuselage), the white section light on the -1 series should be on the upper surface of the starboard outer wing panel, the wing formation lights are present, but completely invisible until turned on, the light on the fuselage spine should be blue on wartime -1 series Corsairs. The tail wheel doors should open further, the -1C model still has three shell ejection ports and a .50 caliber muzzle port on the starboard wing. The main wheels are definitely F4U-7/post war replacements. The antenna wire running from the rudder to the forward mast is correct, the additional wire running from the rudder to the aft mast is incorrect. None of these models have the cockpit access step in the starboard side of the fuselage, but the -1C and -1D have the late war FG-1D type step cut into the inboard flap, but it's on the port side and this should have been on the starboard side!

All of this reminds me of the package put out by Aeroplane Heaven a few years ago. A great concept, but lots of little errors that should have been caught with a little more research and little more time making certain that the little errors were worked out.

In summary, I think I've got myself a nice -1D to fly around so long as I stay in the cockpit. I'll likely comment out the recognition lights, justify the landing light by saying it was added during restoration as a safety feature and perhaps some errors can be masked with some painting. Do I regret buying this package? Not really. I love Corsairs, I've studied them since 1977 and FSX doesn't have a -1 of any variety. Who knows, perhaps some of these errors will be addressed in a patch? Anyway, I'll be spending a lot more time in the -1D.

new reply

Return to “F4U Corsair”