Best Practices for Starting the P-47

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
Salty57
Airman First Class

Best Practices for Starting the P-47

Post by Salty57 »

I purchased the P-47 sometime ago but did not fly it much due to difficulty even getting the engine to start. About that time , the Mustang and Spitfire came out and I quickly put the P-47 aside and went onto those models. Recently I decided to try the P-47 again. However, more often than not I can't get the engine to turn over and start when I engage the inertial starter. The few times I have gotten the engine to start I can't see what I did that was right. It is too random. So I'm looking for those much more experienced than I to see what you would recommend I do that will result in consistent success. I have read that over priming can be a problem. I usually fly in warmer weather so I have only primed a few shots but even that doesn't give me success. So some clues and good procedure are what I'm hoping for here. Thanks for any advice. BTW I have the latest Accusim loaded.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Best Practices for Starting the P-47

Post by Skycat »

As a general tip, since there is no APU aned you're starting on battery, you only get about three attempts before the battery is effectively drained. However, opening the hangar panel resets the battery so do that first and start out with a strong charge.

Also, consider performing a complete overhaul just to be sure you don't have an invisible problem with the engine.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Maybe you should try default wheather and make attempts there using different amounts of prime. With 15°C OAT max 3 prime strokes should be enough. Throttle 10 - 15 % open per tool tip is nice I think. You can also re-charge the battery using shift + 3 panel if needed (I think it's on the lower right).
Filling fresh oil with shift + 4 panel gives pre-warmed oil and starting should be easier.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

gulredrel wrote:Maybe you should try default wheather
This is a great tip when learning a new sim as you can kinda zero out everything to just the aircraft get it figured and then go from there to the different situations.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Do you hold the starter long enough for inertia to build up?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Try about five shots of prime with a cold engine. Don't think you can over prime but not sure of that. Without enough priming it won't start.

Legion
Airman

Post by Legion »

Wasn't the P-47 a hand crank plane in real life??

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

The inertia starter did have the option to be hand cranked to start without battery power. It can be seen here at just after 39:00.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2D3k0sJ8HM[/youtube]

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”