Cowl Flaps dont open!!

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
sa80
Airman Basic

Cowl Flaps dont open!!

Post by sa80 »

Cowl flaps wont open when engine isnt on..Ctrl+shift+v doesnt work.neither does the lever or Shift 3 pop up..what am i doing wrong?

q3ark
Senior Airman

Re: Cowl Flaps dont open!!

Post by q3ark »

The cowl flaps rely on hydraulic preassure to operate, just like the wing flaps. If the engine is off you will have to manually pump the hydraulic system to generate preassure using the handle on the bottom left, next to the pilot's seat :wink:
ImageImage

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Isn't this the second time this week this has come up? :lol: Give the pump handle to the left of the seat about 40 pumps and you will be able to cycle the cowl flaps open and closed for a few cycles.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

If you aren't sure what that means pop along to this thread and have a look at the videos, very informative. Videos
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I rarely open up my cowl flaps before I start an engine, unless temperatures in the very high range dictate I do so. I usually just wait until the engine is on and running before messing with it. It saves me having to pump that silly hydraulic pump like I'm blowing up a monster truck tire with a bicycle pump. It generally won't hurt anything either as long as your cylinder head temperature doesn't rise much between the time you start the engine to the time you open the cowl flaps.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

Pumping that silly handle is all part of the experience :P It's about the only bit I get right :lol:
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

gtmattz
Airman

Post by gtmattz »

Tigerclaw wrote:Pumping that silly handle is all part of the experience :P It's about the only bit I get right :lol:
When I was trying to decide wether I wanted to purchase the p-47 and was watching the demonstration videos and such, when the pilot demonstrated pumping the handle to get emergency hydraulic pressure, I think that was the moment when I decided I would definitely get this plane. The attention to detail is just superb.

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

I noticed the other day during start that as the pressure had dropped off before starting the engine, the breeze from the prop momentarily blew the cowl flaps closed before they were pushed open again by the hydraulic pressure after start.

Incredible!

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”