Why not a bubble canopy P-47D ???

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Why not a bubble canopy P-47D ???

Post by Tom_Weiss »

that should be pretty easy to add ... please ? :)

jsaviano
Airman

Re: Why not a bubble canopy P-47D ???

Post by jsaviano »

I'd love that option! :D

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Actually, it's not that easy to add. The Bubble Canopy has much different aerodynamics than the older "birdcage" and thus would require quite a bit of rework to the flight model.

If you do a search of the forum, you'll find several posts on the work required to add a bubble canopy to the model.

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

CAPFlyer wrote:Actually, it's not that easy to add. The Bubble Canopy has much different aerodynamics than the older "birdcage" and thus would require quite a bit of rework to the flight model.

If you do a search of the forum, you'll find several posts on the work required to add a bubble canopy to the model.
I think it would be a great idea to release an add on to the P-47 then ! anyone that bought a Razorback surely will want to have that option, and it would be a nice way to generate some cash without going thru the expense of creating a whole new add on.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I'm a fan of the bubbletopped version also, Thomas, and would love to see an Accusimmed version of one of the variants...but I don't foresee this happening anytime soon. For one thing, even something as 'simple' as cosmetically changing the cockpit to remove the canopy braces would cost A2A Simulations the time of their modeler(s), who is busy with at the P-51D and probably with finalizing the B-17G, plus some other projects as well. I hate to admit it, but the Mustang and B-17 always rate high as crowd pleasers, both at airshows and in the sim world, and these addons will probably be more lucrative than any version of the Thunderbolt.

Even if Rob could whip out a 'chopped' version of the P-47D so it looks/feels like a bubbletop, the FM would be wrong and A2A would have to revisit the code. The P-47D-25 through D-28 blocks would be a close match in engine performance (forget the M and N models, with their 'C' series engines, etc.) but aerodynamics are different, plus the D-25 ushered in wartime improvements like more fuel (370 U.S. gallons internal vs. 305 gallons of the late Razorback), double the water for War Emergency Power, and more oxygen -- these changes raised the basic weight of the plane by 560 lbs. and gave the plane a higher stalling speed, according to an actual training manual. I wouldn't be happy with mere cosmetic changes, and I know A2A Simulations wouldn't be content either.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the P-51D in the near future and I don't want to see that get delayed. Hopefully once this is released and A2A Simulations has some time to consider their next projects, a late model Thunderbolt will be in the running. A2A Simulations will have a little more experience with the P&W engine following the Accusimmed B-17, and will have introduced new features with the Mustang. I'd love to have a P-47D-40 (the culmination of the 'D' series) or at least a D-30 with field modifications to bring it up to D-40 specs (ie, gyroscopic gunsight, HVAR rocket stubs, dorsal fin fillet) and maybe even post-war National Guard equipment. A late model P-47N would be a major project but could also bring interesting new features to the sim market.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Tom_Weiss
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tom_Weiss »

I did not know that so much work would be needed, you are right then - it is better to save it for later and do a proper job and create a realistic version rather than just a cosmetic one.

meanwhile ...

:)

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”