Best Virtual Cockpit View

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
scoul27
Airman Basic

Best Virtual Cockpit View

Post by scoul27 »

I wanted to ask some of the actual P-47D pilots or those that have sat in a P-47D, what zoom level, eyepoint, etc... settings give the most realistic virtual cockpit view based on the actual P-47D. Specifically what can you see in the actual aircraft.

Thanks,
Shawn

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Best Virtual Cockpit View

Post by Scott - A2A »

Be aware, you can have two high time pilots of a specific airplane and have them both sit down with a simulator. One will tell you a small field of view is real, the other will tell you a wide field of view is real.

While we like to think of visuals are being objective, the way we all perceive visuals is quite subjective. Ultimately, we place the eyepoint in the appropriate place. Use the zoom to what 'you' feel is best, and that is the best for you.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Test Pilot
Senior Airman

Post by Test Pilot »

Not that I would know what it's like to sit in a real P-47, but as Scott says it's nonetheless subjective and all up to you. Zoomed in takes away some of the visual distortion created by having a zoomed out view (less fisheye view). So that may make it more realistic in a way. But having it zoomed out gives better peripheral vision, so that's also more realistic in a way... It's a give and take.

scoul27
Airman Basic

Post by scoul27 »

Thanks!! Great replies, I never thought of it that way. Sometimes we can get so caught up in realism that we forget to "fly the way you like too and have fun" (This doesn't apply to the actual aircraft though, the more realistic the better!! We got spoiled by A2A!!)

I want to take a moment and thank A2A for all of their hard work. I can't imagine all you guys do to get these top notch products to us. It really makes a difference in the flight sim community. Especially for me, my dream has always been to be an aircraft pilot. A dream that was never meant to be. When I was in the Air Force, I failed depth perception and was color blind which prevented me from flying. I was still able to be around aircraft and that satisfied me. I still had hope, but not long after I became disabled and learned that I would never be able to fly my own plane. The dream was gone but then A2A came along and gave me the most realistic flight experience I could ever imagine. THANK YOU!!! :D

P.S. I noticed that I am an Airman Basic in my profile, boy does that bring back memories, I made it to Staff Sergeant in the Air Force before I became disabled so I cannot wait to attain that rank on here.

crim3
Senior Airman

Post by crim3 »

Being strict, the simulator Field of View should match the FoV covered by the monitor screen. This way the size of the objects would match the apparent size of their real counterparts. But, unless you have something like a projector or a TrippleHead2Go, it means zoom levels around 1.0 (33 degrees in FSX), which is claustrophobic.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

scoul27 wrote:I wanted to ask some of the actual P-47D pilots or those that have sat in a P-47D, what zoom level, eyepoint, etc... settings give the most realistic virtual cockpit view based on the actual P-47D. Specifically what can you see in the actual aircraft.

Thanks,
Shawn
The default eyepoint is just about right for a pilot say 5'8" tall sitting on a 28 foot canopy seat type chute. Normal seat position in the Jug with the harness locked allows you to just about reach forward and touch the panel. This would be the setup visually for the absolute realism type end user.
For any pilot having flown a Jug, with the aircraft facing full forward as on the landing roll, you have a field of vision based on two equal areas extending outward from the bottom of the windshield bow on either side of you. Depending on the width of a runway the exact area will differ somewhat but should always be kept equal.
Normally when flying the 47, you will "adjust" youself as best you can in the seat forward and backward to achieve this visual cue. In the sim, if you line up on a runway and adjust the zoom so that you have an equal triangle of runway edge showing on each side of the windshield bow, you will have it about right for realism.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”