Captain Bob Booth

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
jamesarthur
Airman Basic

Captain Bob Booth

Post by jamesarthur »

Captain Robert Booth (USAF retired) died early this morning at the age of 85.

Bob, as he was known to all, was a European Theatre 8 victory fighter ace with the 359th Fighter Group. He was shot down on D-day + 2 and spent the remainder of the war in a German POW camp.
Bob flew the P-47D.
After a very short time as a civilian, Bob rejoined the Air Force as a MSgt and flew as a flight engineer. He returned to flying as an F-84 fighter pilot and flew through the Korean War.
Bob even flew the RB-57 Canberra with a recon squadron in VietNam.
On his wall hung photos of his P-47, F-84, and RB-57.
I recently asked Bob what it was like to take off a P-47. He said it was a pussycat and didn't have any adverse handling qualities. That's a fighter ace for you. As we fly our A2A Razorbacks, let's remember that that hunk of iron was just a platform for getting guns and ammo on the tail of an enemy acft and that the pilots didn't give much thought to the mechanics of flying the airplane. As Bob always said, flying was easy, it's computers that are hard.
The nose art on his P-47 (B/W photo) says "Oily Boid". If anyone knows of an Oily Boid repaint please post its location. I have no idea as to how to repaint the P-47. If anyone thinks they would like to create a repaint of Bob's airplane, post a reply.
Last edited by jamesarthur on 11 Jun 2009, 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Captain Bob Booth

Post by Lewis - A2A »

S! Captain Robert Booth
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

He will be missed...

FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

jamesarthur
Airman Basic

Post by jamesarthur »

Is there a link to the "Oily Boid" re-paint shown in the third reply?

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

jamesarthur-When I read what you wrote I linked your post here at the armyairforces forum so those in the 359th FG might possibly hear about the sad news of his passing.I hope that you don't mind.
http://forum.armyairforces.com/tm.aspx? ... e=1#173427
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

jamesarthur wrote:Is there a link to the "Oily Boid" re-paint shown in the third reply?
Not yet, I still need to finish it and then upload it. Soon, though.

Jan Kees

jamesarthur
Airman Basic

Post by jamesarthur »

jjB17463rd BombGroup- Thank you for the links to your dad's B-17 group and to Bob's
Fighter Squadron.

Bob passed away in his sleep after being confined to his bed for one week.
Our son is a Major in the USAF currently serving in Europe. I met Bob through our son.
Bob loved to fly and play golf. He was a flight instructor, Ag flight instructor, and flew charters out of Medford Field in Tulare, California. Fortunately, the Tulare airport adjoins the Tulare golf course and if Bob wasn't at one, he was at the other.
While in high school, our son worked at the golf course. The Central Valley of California is HOT in the summer. Our son moved water sprinklers around the course and just when he needed a boost, Bob was there in a golf cart with a cold drink. Our son grew to love Bob and Bob inspired our son to later join the Air Force (after graduating with a Mechanical engineering degree). Our son called Bob weekly as Bob was very interested in how his career was going. Bob was always there for our son and, as parents, we treasured his mentorship and love for our son.
last march, our son realized through phone conversations that Bob was slipping away. He took leave from the Air Force and his family and flew home to have the last few visits he knew he would have.
Thank you for your efforts to keep your father's history alive and available to all. And thanks to the Association of American Fighter Aces and the work they are doing at the Air Museum in Seattle to keep Bob's memory alive,

jamesarthur
Airman Basic

Post by jamesarthur »

jcblom - Thank you for the clarification Re; the status of your "Oily Boid" repaint. I, and many others, look forward to its completion. A photo of the P-47D Oily Boid in flight hung on Bob's wall.
I understand he was flying Oily Boid II, a P-51B, when he was shot down by ground fire. I will make sure that Bob's great-grandson is alerted to your repaint. Thank you very much.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Thanks, I see that Robert J Booth is listed here in the 369th fighter squadron part of the 359th fighter group.
http://www.americanfighteraces.org/wwllusaf_a-b.html
Have you considered registering Mr Booth at the National World War II memorial as a tribute.
It's free I even registered my father,my mother and one of my uncles there.
Perhaps your son the USAF Major would like to do this.
http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp ... page=intro

Oh I did a search and found the 359th fighter groups association website too.
You might want to download their latest newsletter and contact the group historian and others to let them know of his passing.(contact info on 2nd page of the Feb 2009 newsletter)

http://www.359fg.org/

jamesarthur
Airman Basic

Post by jamesarthur »

jjB17- Thanks for the links. I have been in touch with a representative of the Fighter Aces
and the rep even visited Bob at least twice before Bob's death.
I was not aware of the Fighter Group website and their newsletters. I will inform them of Bob's passing. I will email our son and he will certainly want to enroll Bob at the War Memorial site. He eased the path for Bob's family, through a Pentagon buddy, to have Bob's ashes buried at Arlington (along with his wife's ashes) sometime the summer of 2010.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

A nice book here too on the 359th Fighter Group.
You can preview some of the pages and it looks like the book is available to order as well in case you don't have it.The book is called 359th Fighter Group by Jack H. Smith
http://books.google.com/books?id=NzXb6A ... 8#PPA99,M1

I see that Jan Kees has done a wonderful job.He has got the markings and the tail number right.
Jan Kees does very detailed work.

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/359thfg. ... 5#tabletop

Oily Boid II the P-51B AAF serial # 43-7199 tail number 37199 is listed here
http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/359thfg. ... 6#tabletop

The missing air crew report (MACR) is 5592
http://www.footnote.com/documents/28597 ... orts_wwii/
Usually Footnote lets you see these for free every veterans day or memorial day I think.

I see that 1st Lt. Robert J. Booth had the nickname of "Posty" on that list.

jamesarthur
Airman Basic

Post by jamesarthur »

jjB17- Thanks so much for the additional links. We ordered the book from Amazon on Bob's Fighter Group. Even the review pages had two photos of Bob that we have never seen before. Our AF son will really enjoy the book as he is quite a student of military history and will appreciate learning more about Bob's unit. When asked about "Posty", Bo would just smile. Our son said call signs are often given as a result of an "event" that happened to the recipient. Maybe someone knows the history of Bob's nickname?

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I think I've got it right this time.
If anybody has any remarks or comments, now is the time, otherwise I'll package and upload her..

Jan Kees

jamesarthur
Airman Basic

Post by jamesarthur »

jcblom– Thank you so much for doing the "Olily Boid" re-paint. It looks great. When looking for your "Oily Boid" re-paint I was impressed with the number of historical aircraft you have brought to life with your skill and devotion to detail. I give add-ons as gifts (especially A2A and MAAM aircraft). I look forward to putting together a package of the A2A P-47D with your Oily Boid re-paint and a bio of Bob for both of our sons and others. Our second son also knew Bob as he took flying lessons from him. Bob was a member of the Caterpillar Club and displayed his membership pin and card. Our second son is an ardent skydiver and skydiving instructor with over a thousand jumps. Bob was always amazed that he actually chose to jump from an airplane and considered it fun. Thanks again.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I just finished uploading "Oily Boid" to sim-outhouse, so it should be available soon. I hope you'll like it.

(still had to 'dot an i', compare previous pic..)

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”