Request For Paint

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Request For Paint

Post by Roadburner426 »

This might be a little in bad taste, but I mainly fly my P-47D-D23 like it's my own private plane from point A to point B. Was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking the time to make me just a gloss black plane? Don't want any markings or anything besides just the rivets and panel lines. I have tried but do not understand how it all works so I would understand if it would take to much time, etc. Thanks in advance.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

crim3
Senior Airman

Re: Request For Paint

Post by crim3 »

That would look really cool, I'd like to see that.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

should be easy, give me a few days...
just black, no markings at all?
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Emacs
Airman

Post by Emacs »

Actually I was thinking about a black P47 myself.

But I would opt for a white playboy bunny at the rudder.

Totally unrealistic I guess, but iirc there is a US Navy weapons testing squadron which uses this type of paint.
And somehow I like it ;-)

Cheers,

Emacs

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

OK, here's my first attempt.
I used an almost black, with a slight shine to it, so the stencils would still stand out in matt black.
I also left all paint scratches, as I felt I looked too flat otherwise.
The only color left is in the scratches and the no step panel.
So, what do you think?

Jan Kees

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

That is pretty good actually. I like the fact that it still has the red on the inboard side of the wings. Looks just as good as I imagined. Thank you for taking the time to do it.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

ICDP
BDG & A2A

Post by ICDP »

Very nice looking repaint Jan. How about making the stenciling white, or even red to see how it looks? Also if you want to experiment with the glossy reflections try messing with the env.dds texture. Or try the one from my bare metal factory fresh repaints pack.

Emacs
Airman

Post by Emacs »

Jan,

that looks great to me !

Any chance for the little bunny ?

Cheers,

Emacs

crim3
Senior Airman

Post by crim3 »

yes, I thought it would be difficult to do a completely black repaint and still see details. But that's what it happens with a real life car with a glossy black. Details are seen only at certain light angles.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Yeah I knew details were harder to see in black. The good thing with FSX though is the bump mapping so that way you can still see panel lines and things still cause they aren't just part of the texture.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

crim3
Senior Airman

Post by crim3 »

So I think, bump mapping and a polished metal finish should make those details arose with a repaint like this.

And talking about it, in general bump mapping makes the aircrafts look great in FSX, specially when is used to model the usual dents in the leading edge of the wings (and other parts). When I saw those dents in the 377 it brought me directly to my first exterior check in real life with the little (and old!) cessna 150. I haven't seen those dents modeled in any other FSX aircraft but it makes the exterior model look so real.

By the way, the p-47 specially profits from bump mapping. Many of the repaints shown at the forum look terrific thanks to bump mapping. I'm eager to try things by myself. Let's see how the euro/dollar ratio behave next month... not very well by now :(

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

back to the black.
I've made all the stencilling red, but probably should have taken the datablock off.
Since I assumed that a person flying a non-registered, all-black P-47 is probably planning illegal activities (or is a big fan of the New Zealand rugby team, but then a ZK-reg would seem logical), I also assumed that he wouldn't mind some scratches in his paintwork...

I now have a veryvery dark grey texture, a slightly reflective alpha, a dark spec file, and a reflective spec aplha, giving it a subtle sheen. It's not really gloss deep black, as that made all the details in the textures more or less disappear.
So, how do you like this? You want it darker, or shinier? No scratches? Datablock or not? Red stencils, or not?

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

That aircraft is smokin :shock: . With the red stenciling it reminds me of a P-61 Black Widow. I really think it looks great in those shots in the kind of matte/flat black with the wear. No aircraft is going to be in perfect paint for long. I know this from being an aircraft painter. You can paint an airfoil and after a few sorties the wind is already eroding the paint from the aircraft. I do not plan any illegal activities with her though :oops: . Just happen to like older WWII aircraft in black. I think the only one I don't have a black paint for is my P-38J. I keep trying to use that Abacus repaint V3.5 or whatever it is though and I can't do anything like this. Cause I tried toying around with the P-47 and all I really did was turn the aircraft completely black making it devoid of all markings. Then tried reading about how to use photo shop but I made it to the part where it said I had to download all these alpha channel packages and things from the internet and thats where I got confused. Painting an aircraft in real life is so much more simple. Prep the plane, mix the epoxy, spray a few coats, and done, lol. Thanks for taking the time to do it though. Looks better than I imagined.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

Emacs
Airman

Post by Emacs »

Wicked !!

If only...

Cheers,

Emacs

FreqE1
Airman

Post by FreqE1 »

That F-14, how dare they put something so offensive and s -e -x -i -s -t on a government aircraft! Outrageous1 I can't believe the gall of some people.

Oh I wish sarcasm would translate better online. I miss pin up art on aircraft. Pin ups and planes, they just go together. I'm suprised they are even allowed the Playboy Bunny.

I'll stop now before I get too non PC.

Cool paint so far jcblom, I realy like the red text with the black too. Like Roadburner426 the first thing I thought of was the P-51 "Black Widow".

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”