Newbie need help Smoke and fire

It's big, powerful, and fast.
new reply
kelto
Airman Basic

Newbie need help Smoke and fire

Post by kelto »

I am a three-month newbie and bought my first payware today. Downloaded the P47 and tried to fly but it smoked badly from the start. I thought it would clear but it got worse, caught fire and crashed. I tried to learn all the switches and controls but saw nothing related to smoke and fire. Then I tried to read this forum but found nothing directly related. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Kelto :cry:

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Newbie need help Smoke and fire

Post by jcblom »

which '47 are we talking about, the WoP2 or the WoP3 version (with accusim)?
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

kelto
Airman Basic

Post by kelto »

I don't have Accusim. Since my initial query, I re-executed the patch and it changed things. Now the plane won't start no matter what I do. I turn on the fuel pump, prime the carb, set mags to "both" crack the throttle and mixture full rich. The inertial starter doesnt work. No sound. Nothing. Always the same result. Start and die. Disgruntled.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Please ensure that you have auto mixture disabled in your realism settings. It MUST be turned off. Also, make sure you reset your failures via the pop up 2d panels.
ImageImage
ImageImage

kelto
Airman Basic

Post by kelto »

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested except I found "Reset Failures" on the main panel, not the 2d popup where you normally see the 2d panel. These actions changed nothing and I got the same result (no start). Then I selected one of the models (MKI) and modified the config file [piston_engine] , setting auto_mixture=1 and auto_ignition=1 . Now the engine is already running when I bring the plane up. The manual mixture/throttle controls operate as they should so I don't know what the auto-mix reset did. I notice in my first flight, though, I had to keep the mix at full rich or the engine started running rough and spitting smoke.

After the flight, I selected one of the other models that I had not modified the config and it would not start per original problem. A small success but still disgruntled.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Hmmm, it still sounds like you have auto mixture enabled in your realism settings. Perhaps this is beyond me.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Then I selected one of the models (MKI)

Are you referring to the Spitfire Mk. IA? Perhaps your payware is the WWII Fighters Special Edition CD or the Aircraft Power Pack 2 DVD? This is the pack that includes the P-51 Mustang, A6M5 Zero, Messerschmidt 109E, Spitfire and Thunderbolt and possibly the P-40. If so, these are all Wings of Power 2 aircraft and they are not as complex in systems modeling as the new Wings of Power 3 P-47 Thunderbolt with AccuSim.

If you are having problem starting the Wings of Power 2 Thunderbolt, you may want to edit the starter torque value to be a little higher. The starter usually doesn't mesh long enough for the engine to catch, and the battery charge is based on the default battery so it runs down pretty quickly. See this thread
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

kelto
Airman Basic

Post by kelto »

No, one of the P-47 models is named "MKI RAF 30 Squadron". Its is not the Spitfire that is similarly named. That just happens to be the variant that I chose to tinker with. It is the only one I have flying. I have since adjusted the toe brake value when I discovered it would not stop. So I guess one flyable is better than none.

kelto
Airman Basic

Post by kelto »

A follow-on to my last: The starter torque is set to 0.1 in the config files. I understand that is the correct value. I read your link. I have tried multiple and continuous activation with no effect. My start switch is dead in both positions. I have to use Ctl-E to start the plane.
Thanks

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Strange that you have to go through all that editing. I see there is a "MK.I 30 Squadron" skin included with the Wings of Power 3 Thunderbolt, so I assume this is the product that you are using. What kind of information are you getting when you bring up the Shift+2 and Shift+7 keys? You may need to do an overhaul or something.

It seems to me that since the RAF skin is stored in the WoP3_P4D-22 folder of SimObjects\Airplanes, that all of the other D-22 variants will also be affected by the edits that you make to the base Aircraft.CFG file. Very peculiar.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

kelto
Airman Basic

Post by kelto »

Well, thanks for staying with me on this. There are actually three separate config files for wopP47-20, -022, and ,-23. Respectively. There are a couple of skin variants controlled by each separate config file. So the changes I made on the one does not effect the others.

Of course I could take the easy way out and edit each to agree with the changes I made on the first and they will all be starting and running. But that does not seem to be the correct solution.

Incidentally the auto-mix control is unchecked on "settings" so that is not the problem.

I have downloaded several freeware planes without problems. I really did not expect this result for a payware plane. Discourag :( ing

kelto
Airman Basic

Post by kelto »

OK. I shut FSX down and restarted. Now they all come up in idle at load. No smoke, no fire and no starting. Manual Mix/Throttle/Prop controls all seem to work normally. Strange but I only modified 2 of the three config files. I don't understand it but at least they are flyable now and that is progress!!

Thanks to all

Happy Camper :D

new reply

Return to “P47 Thunderbolt”