B17 dropping Bombs in FSX (Warning Pics)

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
Maenniskopesten
Airman First Class

B17 dropping Bombs in FSX (Warning Pics)

Post by Maenniskopesten »

I Downloaded, a Mission by Bruce Fitzgerald from FSXmission.com
In his misson he made it possible that a DC3 dropped bombs, I tried building one myself for the B17 wich actually did work but for some reason didn't work after I restarted FSX. So I just took the mission from Bruce and changed the File so that now I can drop bombs with the old B17 from the first WoP pack. You can do alot with the SDK Files, but it's pretty tricky. It's possible for instance to set a Target a Faktory or even an airfield I guess and when you hit the target with a bomb, the place will start to burn. There's no Damge model but the bombs leave craters, and the bombs are Mk 82, but i wouldn't be suprised if there'll be WW2 bombs to download soon. The SDK gives you lots of possibilties and I've got loads of Ideas but i'm not smart enough to get them in the mission. If anybody is interessted in building missions for FSX, there are good Tutorials to download from http://fsxmission.com/live/ under the downloads sektion.

Here are some pics from a little bombrun with the B17

on route
bomb doors full open
target area
there goes the cookies!

Bang!

Basicly you start from an airfield in England, wich is in the flightplan and can not be changed, and then you start of to any targetarea you want to, all missions can be modified so that every aircraft can drop the bombs. For instance you could build a Mission for the Lancaster to go and bomb the Tirpitz, that is if someone would model a Tirpitz or a Warship.
A Big problem is the aiming from High Altitude, it's not possible so lets just keep fingers crossed and hope that some brings out a working norden bombsite :lol:

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Well this is cool. ...

Let the ideas and rants flow!
Snuffy

Maenniskopesten
Airman First Class

Does anybody know how to add the norden bombsight wich was used in FS2004 to the aircraft in FSX? I think AC had made it and uploaded it some time ago.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Yes, this stuff is made through the mission which was the reason of my great disapoinment. The droppable objects feature is in the wrong SDK section... :(

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

A Big problem is the aiming from High Altitude, it's not possible so lets just keep fingers crossed and hope that some brings out a working norden bombsite
This is actualy dooable. I have a bombsite that works generially. I am having trouble getting it to work in the FSX B-17. I had it working in the WOP B-17 ok. The real problem is the speed of the bombs is basicelly constant with the aircraft. So what happened is no matter what alt , and at a constant speed I could always get on target. I had some help getting the drift adjustment working. Far from a true norden but to me acceptable for now. I just wish a true heavy bomber sim would come out. And for those that say this would be to easy setting the drift and holding the sircraft on course is a lot harder that you would think. If i could just get it to work in the FSX B-17 it would be great. Now if a guage could be made that would change the view angle thru the sim connect thing having the angle adjustment would also be possible. I am also curious as to would it be possible to make an object that would drop realisticely, eg the proper curved drop angle that bombs really used.

Maenniskopesten
Airman First Class

I had the bombsight working in FS9, but didn't have anything to drop. And I can't get the Bombsight to work under FSX either. I do think that you could have a lot of Fun with FSX but sadly it won't be possible to match B17 II for instance I loved playing it and sometimes still play it these days. What bugs me though is that Piloting the Aircraft is such a fuss in B172, Imagin the Aircraft had a nice Virtual Cockpit like the WoP Aircraft. Take Offs ad Landings and even just basical flight would be far more enjoyable. But the way things look I guess one must try to "mod" FSX to as realistic as one can.
By the way did you get it to work in FSX with the old WOP B17, thats the one I'm using, or under FS9 thats where I had it working to.

Maenniskopesten
Airman First Class

ROB - Shockwave wrote:Yes, this stuff is made through the mission which was the reason of my great disapoinment. The droppable objects feature is in the wrong SDK section... :(

regards
ROB
I think people could still build there own Bomber Campaign. The Problem with SDK is that it's awfully complicated for somebody who doesn't know alot about such things. Building a mission in IL2 for instance is real easy.

What is a shame is that dropping loads together is not possible in multiplayer

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Yes, of course, people could still build their own Bomber Comapin.

All I say is why (and it is rhetorical question) droppable objects belong to the missions, not aircrafts department of the SDK?!. After first rumours about flour bombs in incoming FSX I said to myself: "This is it! And I bet I know how they do the droppable objects in FSX becasue this can't be done other way to do it right: the dropable objects are installed in aircrafts like the fuel or payload! The object itself has weight and own balistic and is defined as an external separate object/model. Simple, rational, natural and briliant! And finally I will be able to help AC and Terror to construct the 100% working Norden"
No way, man. I dug through the whole SDK searching for droppable objects and I found a few lines here an there, mostly in very surprising places within the SDK. But I still didn't give up. I stepped on this 'mission-oriented' path, made some tests, even using the water ballast system to simulate the weight drop and came to conclusion: what a lame solution is this. And I gave up.

Of course I don't want my opinion, which is very subjective based on emotions after disapoinment and time involved, to throw anybody away from tweaking and experimenting. This solution can still bring some fun to a creator and users.

So, Maenniskopesten, I don't want to damp down your enthusiasm, just go for it.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

Maenniskopesten
Airman First Class

I'll do my very bets but sadly i'm not getting very far :lol: It's just all so...complicated.
Lets see what happens in the end :wink:

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Please keep working on it guys.I'd love to see FULL emulation of the Norden Bombsight.The pics look great !
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

A full duplication is most likely not doable. But a decent site can be done. My problem is getting the view in FSX to angle down with a 2d panel. I thought I had this working before but It is gone now and I can t find it. I am back on it again tho. Having a droppable object is not limited to missions only tho. I will have to find it but you can have then in a normal free flight. You have to make a flight and add a few lines to it. Then when you select that flight the dropable object is available.

Maenniskopesten
Airman First Class

That would be great if you could get that to work! In the SDK it is possible to mark Areas and use them as Triggers. It would be possible "I think" that you could for instance set an Area between 10000 and 30000 Feet above a City, and have Heavy 88mm Flak Fire bursting around the aircraft. YOu could also then add a failure Trigger to the Area and have a Enginefailure or something

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

46th_Terror wrote:... My problem is getting the view in FSX to angle down with a 2d panel...
Terror, try this key assignment: 'View (always pan down)' and 'View (always pan up)'

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

I'm after first very promising Norden test.
Terror, watch your email box...

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Here' ssomthing I posted at simouthouse a while back,

"Using the FSX mission structure its no doubt possible.

Although perhaps not the bouncing bomb, bombing can indeed perhaps work, plus you can add flak and for night missions flares, then tie them in to the failure system in FSX and what you have is a simulated combat situation.

So for example:

Have the flack in a certain area and in that area add a random failure that may may not occur coupled with a sound file of flak hitting the aircraft.
Do this a few times so you have various flak 'fields' dotted around.

Of course you would have to edit FS to blackout conditions, somthing i did for FS9 but i lost the textures in a HDD crash"
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”