Ride on B-24H "Witchcraft"

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
new reply
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Ride on B-24H "Witchcraft"

Post by cflord »

Fellow WWII Bomber Lovers:

I have been involved with a year long project to document the history of a B-24M crash in 1945 that took my uncle's life. After many hours of research and data collected from family, The National Archives & Records Administration, The AAIR Aviation Archaeological Investigation & Research, Greg Stone, Dan Williams, Terry Newhouse and The Collings Foundation I was able to complete my research and report.

On May 12, 1945 the Consolidated B-24M-10-CO, 44-41995 took off from March Field in California to accomplish a 12 hour Ferret (Intelligence Gathering) training flight, to prepare for a special mission in the pacific. The flight was to fly low level (1,000 feet) over the Pacific Ocean along the coast of California and Oregon. Approximately 5 hours into the flight the weather came in with ceilings 500-1,000 feet, 0-.5 mile visability and rain. Some how the airplane drifted over the coast line and flew through the redwood trees on top of Anderson Cliff, killing all eleven crew members on board. The airplane, weather, and terrain were all co-altitude at the time of the crash. My uncle Sgt Robert G. Lord was the Flight Engineer and Top Turret Gunner on that fatal flight.

Last weekend The Collings Foundation brought their B-17 "Nine O Nine" and their B-24H "Witchcraft" to a local airport near where I live. Although the flight was expensive, I could not pass up the chance to fly on the last B-24 still flying. After aborting our first takeoff attempt for a malfunctioning propeller governor, we finally got off the ground at 17:30 (5:30 PM). To honor my uncle I brought along the flag that draped his casket at his funeral in 1945. The flight was truly historical and ment allot to me to see where my uncle performed his crew duties.

If you ever get the chance to fly on a WWII warbird, do so, you will never forget it!

Keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord, C-130 Flight Engineer :D
Last edited by cflord on 30 Nov 2006, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

!S
Snuffy

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I remember going inside "Witchcraft" just a couple of months ago.
Thanks for the great pics.Cliff I am sorry that your Uncle lost his life in the prime of his life.That was a tragic accident.
My uncle was a mortar team leader in General Pattons army during the Battle if the Bulge.Fortunately he survived the war in the ETO.But both my dad and my uncle have passed away.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

JJB17463rdBombGroup wrote:I remember going inside "Witchcraft" just a couple of months ago.
Thanks for the great pics.Cliff I am sorry that your Uncle lost his life in the prime of his life.That was a tragic accident.
My uncle was a mortar team leader in General Pattons army during the Battle if the Bulge.Fortunately he survived the war in the ETO.But both my dad and my uncle have passed away.
I flew on this aircraft twice when it was the "Dragon's Tail", and twice also on the B-17. It is an unbelievable experience and worth every penny.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

B-24 Crash

Post by cflord »

Hey Guys

My next adventure is to go out to California next June 2007 and meet up with Greg Stone, who use to be a member of the Redwood Empire Aviation Historical Society. We plan to search for the B-24M crash site. I managed to get the 40 page accident report off of microfish from 1945 and the report had the coordinates for the crash site. Lucky for me, the crash site is located in a National Wilderness area, pretty much undisturbed by people. We know the exact ridge line the B-24 flew through the redwood trees, so the search is on! Wish me luck!

Have any of you guys downloaded the "Witchcraft" paint scheme for the WOP B-24J? I downloaded the "Witchcraft" livery and reinacted the flight I took on her from the Middle Georgia Regional Airport in Macon, Georgia. The memories of the flight caming rushing back, it was so cool!

Keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord, C-130 Flight Engineer :P

Osram
BDG & A2A

Re: B-24 Crash

Post by Osram »

cflord wrote: Wish me luck!
< Osram tucks in his thumb and starts pressing :) >

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Cliff that is something that you definately have to do next year.
I do wish you great luck.
It will bring you resolution to what happened over 61 years ago.
There is a B17 crash site in the Olympic Mountains in my state that I'd like to see(I don't know if I'll get around to it though).
Those crewmen lost their lives as well.I've seen pictures of the crash site.
I used to enjoy Mountain hiking up Mount Rainier(14,410 ft)when I was young.I climbed a lot of peaks too.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”