Question about Nav Instruments on American Bombers/Fighters

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
new reply
Jawaka

Question about Nav Instruments on American Bombers/Fighters

Post by Jawaka »

The Radio Compass and Flux Gate Compass on the B17/B24/B29/P51/P47 have major tick marks every 7.5 degress.

Is that correct? If yes, why? Is there some reason why it's not every 10 degrees?

Thanx

Jawaka

Post by Jawaka »

Anyone?

Jawaka

Post by Jawaka »

Maybe a pic would help:

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

I dont know the real answer but looking at it. I would assume it has to do witht he 0,90,180,270 degree standards. North south east and west. devided out it comes out pretty even that way. If done on a 10 degree it would be harder to read as the numbers would be to small. But if a real pilot has a true answer I am interested also.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

I would be very surprised if with a bit of search you could not find the original navigation manuals and even instruments like triangle calculator on ebay. I have a few, but not US WWII, sorry.

Jawaka

Post by Jawaka »

This was a B17 radio compass up for auction on Ebay. Obviously not the same model but clearly marked in 10s of degrees. I have yet to find any navigation instrument that doesn't use the 10 degree demarcation.

Any military pilots or maybe someone from Shockwave can shed some light?

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Hi, Jawaka. The radio compass and flux gate arn't quite correct.

The radio compass should have five, and the flux gate fourteen marks beetween the main (digit) marks. So, it gives 10 degrees system.
As the author I'm ashamed of myself :oops:

regards
ROB

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Don't ya just hate it when bald headed people place objects for sale on E-Bay?

Looking hard enough at the glass on the guage above, you can see the reflection of the seller and his camera.

Off topic I know ... but there have been a host of images from E-Bay where reflections of the seller and what they were or were not wearing at the time of the article being photographed.
Snuffy

Jawaka

Post by Jawaka »

ROB wrote:Hi, Jawaka. The radio compass and flux gate arn't quite correct.

The radio compass should have five, and the flux gate fourteen marks beetween the main (digit) marks. So, it gives 10 degrees system.
As the author I'm ashamed of myself :oops:

regards
ROB
Hey ROB. I can see how it was easy to miss. Certainly looks correct. It was when I started to try doing some extreme poor visibility navigation and started to look much more closely.

Any possibility of a fix?

Snuffy_Haden wrote:Don't ya just hate it when bald headed people place objects for sale on E-Bay?
LOL, I didn't notcie that at first. Pretty funny.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Jawaka wrote: Hey ROB. I can see how it was easy to miss. Certainly looks correct. It was when I started to try doing some extreme poor visibility navigation and started to look much more closely.

Any possibility of a fix?
Sorry Jawaka, I havn't noticed your question. We have to wait for an occasion to get it fixed. However, if this fault is a serious trouble for you, send me a PM.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

150GCT_Gielle
Airman

Post by 150GCT_Gielle »

Hi!
Maybe this is a bit off topic, but someone could explain me how to activate the radio compass in the B-17?
I went through the manual but I didn't find anything about it.
Is that related to the VOR?

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

No, it's the NDB (ADF) related thing.

Use ADF Radio (SCR-269) to tune in.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

150GCT_Gielle
Airman

Post by 150GCT_Gielle »

Ok, thanks! :D

boeing377
Airman Basic

Re: Question about Nav Instruments on American Bombers/Fight

Post by boeing377 »

The 4 band ADF control box pictured above isn't from the SCR 269 (which looks nearly identical but has 3 bands). The 4 band control box pictured is the C 4 ARN-7 control for the R-5 ARN-7 ADF receiver. SCR 269 receiver (BC-433) is very similar to R-5 ARN-7but omits the 100-200 Kc band. Post WW-2 surplus ARN-7 units were made into FAA legal MN 62 ADFs for civil airliners. The ARN-7 to MN 62 mod involved new front panel and LP 21 loop connectors and a few new circuit components, nothing major.

Mark

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”