Dear Mom

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

danjama-

Thanks for the comments. I will post the letter as soon as I can get it scanned and on my computer. I will PM or email you to let you know when it is posted.

Go to the "Pilots Lounge" on this forum and scroll to "A few WW2 wedding pics". There you will see Pointman taking the big step.

Sam :lol:

danjama
Airman

Post by danjama »

:D thanks mate.

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

I had to do a little cleaning on my server and I'm affraid that I took those pics off of it. I would be happy to put them back on if you all would like.

danjama
Airman

Post by danjama »

any update? :wink:

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

danjama wrote:any update? :wink:

My apology. My friend with the scanner had a death in his family and I didn't get the letter on my computer. Maybe this coming week.

I am glad you enjoyed the story. I plan to do little follow ups as I get more info.

This coming Sept. there is a special reunion of the 96 BG in Dayton, Ohio. I have been invited by Lt. Bevers to attend. I hope to go and meet him. He is going to try and get the co-pilot, Lt. Willis Jones to go as well.

If there is an interest I could post two photos later, sent to me recently by Bevers. Both are of poor quality as they were copied by a photo copier. One is a crew shot and the other is of the "Dear Mom".

Sam
Last edited by sambt on 31 May 2006, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

Help!

I have Fleming's letter to Collier's Mom on my computer. It is in PDF format. How do I post it on the forum?

Thanks Sam

danjama
Airman

Post by danjama »

PDF is the one format i dont know how to work with :lol:

anyone?

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

danjama wrote:PDF is the one format i dont know how to work with :lol:

anyone?
Check your PM. I asked for your email as I think I can send it to you that way. I'll post it on the forum when someone tells me how to do it.

Sam

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

I will try and post letter from Fleming to Collier's mom. I may have to do it in several post as I am not all that smart with this posting stuff. Stay with me. First post is of envelope.

Sam

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

[/img] Image
Last edited by sambt on 17 Sep 2006, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

Last edited by sambt on 17 Sep 2006, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

Last edited by sambt on 17 Sep 2006, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

I have a little follow up I would like to share. I have two photos, one of "Dear Mom", and another crew shot.

On 5 Nov. '43 a 2/Lt. Bill Burdick was returning from a mission over Germany in "Dear Mom", the plane that Bevers was assigned to later. Burdick was listening to a straggling B-17 on his headset. This plane was in distress and reported that its last engine had just died and would have to ditch. B-17's were good planes and "Dear Mom" was one tough old bird.

Apparently Burdick and crew put in 25 missions and "Mom" was turned over to Bevers. On mission # 9, a pathfinder mission on 30 Jan. '44 over Brunswick , Germany, "Dear Mom" suffered extensive flak damage and also lost one engine. Bevers brought plane back safely by flying low level until landing at Snetterton.

Below is another view of "Dear Mom" showing battle damage sustained on that fateful mission 13 flown on 13 Feb.'44. You can see holes aft of right wing caused by flak explosion in bombay that killed Sgt. Collier and seriously wounded R/O Fleming.

I will show crew photo and a little story with it in next post.

Sam

[img][img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/5155/s ... wx6.th.jpg[/img] [/img]

sambt
Senior Airman

Post by sambt »

Here is an account of what is was like to fly in combat during WW2. Just about every mission was filled with surprises and hair raising escapes from sudden death. Below was taken from "Snetterton Falcons" a history of the 96 BG. Lt. Bevers pulls the chestnuts out of the fire once more.

[img][img]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6308 ... bo5.th.jpg[/img] [/img]

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”