B-17 keyboard commands

Wings of POWER Heavy Bombers and Jets for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
new reply
mikenew
Airman Basic

B-17 keyboard commands

Post by mikenew »

Hello,

How do I get the various cockpit views for the B-17? The flight manual shows full cockpit wide, cockpit center, left right, etc......... What are the keyboard commands for these views? Can I zoom in on the full wide cockpit?

Any suggestions for best taxiing commands? I have been using left and right rudder commands, brakes/throtte.

Does this plane control better using the yoke control rather than using the keyboard? Keyboard controls seem slow and confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: B-17 keyboard commands

Post by Scott - A2A »

You need to use brakes, but more importantly, differential throttle to turn a b17.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHC120
Airman First Class

Re: B-17 keyboard commands

Post by DHC120 »

mikenew wrote:Hello,

How do I get the various cockpit views for the B-17? The flight manual shows full cockpit wide, cockpit center, left right, etc......... What are the keyboard commands for these views? Can I zoom in on the full wide cockpit?

Any suggestions for best taxiing commands? I have been using left and right rudder commands, brakes/throtte.

Does this plane control better using the yoke control rather than using the keyboard? Keyboard controls seem slow and confusing.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Mike;
To put it bluntly, "Flying a Keyboard" just plain sucks. I had to keep "tabbing" the up/down arrows to "try" to maintain level flight.. I got "air sick" from the constant undulating motion that was created.
To get the "real feel" of flying the B-17, in my opinion, you need to "invest" (aka: Spend Big Bucks-- check out eBay as well, if you don't mind used equipment) and obtain a Yoke, Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrants.
I purchased the CH Products "Flight Sim" Yoke, the CH "Pro" Rudder Pedals and two Saitek PZ45 Throttle Quadrants... these have three levers and six switches each. The "TQ's" control the throttles for the four engines (Throttles #1, #2 & #3 on one TQ, #4 on the second unit), Mixture and Props/RPM are controlled by one lever each (also on the second TQ Unit). With respect to the "brands", everyone has their "pets".. some like the Saitek Yoke and Rudder better than the CH.. same with the TQ. Finances dictate what you purchase initially. The CH Yoke has three levers on the body, you can use then for Throttle, Mixture Props/RPM with each one controlling all four engines. It's a place to start, but turning the B-17 requires some serious acreage without differential throttle control and differential braking (you aren't suppose to use the brakes for turning)
The CH Yoke has a "trigger button" on the forward side of each hand grip. The left grip also has two buttons and "fore/aft" rocker switch. The right grip has a left/right rocker switch and a "Hat" (or "Coolie Hat") switch.. this allows you to look left, right, quartering views and even "behind" you, if you set it up this way. There are two up/down "flipper" switches on the body of the unit. They return to the "neutral" position after use.. great for Wing Flaps and Cowl Flaps.
You can go into FS9 (or FSX) and "program" each switch to perform a specific function that you would like that relates to the plane's controls. Likewise does the switches on the Saitek TQ's. Also, the Saitek "levers" have a "Reverse" position.. I don't fly jets so I programed one to me my "Bail-Out" button (when flying CFS2/CFS3).
These units add to the "immersion factor" when flying. Additionally, the WOP B-17 has a fair amount of "clickable" controls on the control pedestal, dash and "pop-up" panel. This is realism as a real B-17 Pilot/Co-Pilot had to flip those switches during take-offs, flights and landings.
One last thing.. my Dad was a B-17 (and B-29) pilot and he started in a Fairchild PT-19 (a PT-26 is available from the Flight Sim Library. The 26 is a closed cockpit, the 19 is open.. that's the only difference). Start with that plane, or go thru the Cessna "Training Flights" that FS9 has, then work your way "up" thru the BT-13 & BT-15, AT-6's, AT11's, the Beech D-18 (I think it is) as this was how the USAAC taught it's pilot cadets to ultimately handle the "Heavy Bombers" of WWII. It is really worth doing the steps because you gain a better appreciation for what it takes to learn to fly and, in fact, you DO learn to fly.... albeit in the Flight Simulator. Besides.. it's fun!
Hope this helps. We were all "newbies" once. Welcome to Flight Simming.
Charles.
Charles

new reply

Return to “Heavy Bombers and Jets”