How to play as a single pilot for a squadron...

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
spitfireace
BDG

Post by spitfireace »

rhinomonkey wrote:Will this method work if i want to fly a campaign as a Stuka pilot within a squadron withour having to manage a whole campaign? I am just starting out with this great sim and the campaign side of things still baffles me. I cant really spend the time i would like on playingand lerning this game as my wife seems to be allergic to flight sims and thinks that i have a mental problem because i want to fly vitual planes! my trackir headset thing makes it worse, she watches me play and thinks i'm a complete nut. oh well!
yeah i know what you mean, the hat with the reflecting stuff does not help no.....haha :wink:
Cheers,

Spitfireace

I treasure a remark i made to my grandson who asked "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No" i answered, "But i served in a company of heroes"

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

=>=>=>=> ...I want to take advantage of the presence of this post in this thread to add an update:

Please Note: Since patch 2.07, a Single Pilot Campaign (ie. Pilot Career) Beta has been included in BoB2. For 2.07, the guide to accessing it was a separate file in the Docs folder. For 2.08 onward, the guide is incorporated into the main BoB2 Manual (pg 163 for v2.08).

rhinomonkey wrote:Will this method work if i want to fly a campaign as a Stuka pilot within a squadron withour having to manage a whole campaign? I am just starting out with this great sim and the campaign side of things still baffles me. I cant really spend the time i would like on playingand lerning this game as my wife seems to be allergic to flight sims and thinks that i have a mental problem because i want to fly vitual planes! my trackir headset thing makes it worse, she watches me play and thinks i'm a complete nut. oh well!
Unfortunately, all the work on single player/pilot career campaigns thus far has focused on the RAF. It should (/might?) be possible to conduct a campaign in the LW similar to the RAF pilot campaign described by Wildman in the manual starting at page 160, but I've never seen it written up. As to the current beta release of the single pilot campaign patch, it is only enabled for the RAF, as the LW version was found to be too broken to offer yet. If the current beta is found to be acceptable, when it has been worked through, polished and enhanced, it may be that the LW campaign will be addressed as well.
Last edited by PV on 22 Aug 2008, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

rhinomonkey
Senior Airman

Post by rhinomonkey »

PV wrote:
Unfortunately, all the work on single player/pilot career campaigns thus far has focused on the RAF. It should (/might?) be possible to conduct a campaign in the LW similar to the RAF pilot campaign described by Wildman in the manual starting at page 160, but I've never seen it written up. As to the current beta release of the single pilot campaign patch, it is only enabled for the RAF, as the LW version was found to be too broken to offer yet. If the current beta is found to be acceptable, when it has been worked through, polished and enhanced, it may be that the LW campaign will be addressed as well.
hey thanks for the info!

tallyman
Airman

Post by tallyman »

Heh heh Rhino--know just how you feel! :roll: "kids games"--"nothing better to do?"--grass needs cutting"--etc...etc.Now the postman agrees with her,since I answered the door with my Track IR rig on!!
BTW--I'm 76 next birthday,and was akid in London during the blitz,maybe thats why this game fascinates me so much.
Damn---"OK darlin'--now coming".......................................... :roll:

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Yes, sad but true. Female empathy towards flightsims is generally speaking pretty limited..

I think mine has come to terms with it now. Firstly my kids are old enough to find airshows really fun now (and airshows are reportedly the second most popular outdoor activity in the UK these days after football) and she has also met a number of very 'normal' people who share a deep fascination for the war period, either through having lived through it, or from just pure interest.

Maybe I'm getting older and I don't care about ridicule anymore, but I almost sense that being passionately interested in anything like this is becoming more acceptable now. Has to be better than moronically sitting in front of the box every night as I'm sure so many do..
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

borton
BDG

Post by borton »

And I thought that I was the only old codger on this forum at 70. Tallyman, you've given me a new lease of life! :)

Hitler drove me out of the East End (Poplar) at the tender age of 2. I spent the War as an evacuee in lovely old Somerset.

These youngsters know nothing, do they? :wink:

tallyman
Airman

Post by tallyman »

Hi Borton old chap-I was in Ealsfield in the "beginning",Adolf bombed me outa there andwe finished up in Streatham,and one of his doodlebugs nearly got me there,An now I,m in Lowestoft(Suffolk)--Navy brought me here.Where are you now then?
Good to hear from you--mebbe we can fly together (il2 ?)
Love this one but cant get it right--an also like CFS3 with Firepower-----OK see ya buddy

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Now the postman agrees with her,since I answered the door with my Track IR rig on!!

That image really cracks me up! I have a friend in his late 80's who flies sims and actually flew the ETO in WWII in a P47 and P51. Flying online with him and learning from a bona fide WWII pilot is a gas.

What technology has passed in our lifetime - and what losses in values and tradition. I see one more woman with a bone in her nose, covered in tattoos, one more screaming idiot reality show, one more ... never mind. :D Back to my time machine.
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

PappyCain wrote:Now the postman agrees with her,since I answered the door with my Track IR rig on!!

:lol: I went to our local supermarket with the old fashioned reflective dot on my forehead,whoops :oops:

keith_uk
Senior Airman

Post by keith_uk »

I'm playing the campaign as just one guy, as i'm not into doing a Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbor job where i fly every mission in the war.

I'm in 610 squadron and on the first patrol, i shot down one Dornier 17 which was all alone leaving England (poor guy) and two Stukas. I've got to grips with landing with the settings on realistic, so all is going quite well.

The only problem is, after that first mission, i've not been given anything else to do for ages.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get more action without doing anything silly like moving all the other squadrons right up north?

Thanks

Keith.

borton
BDG

Post by borton »

Are you playing the Single Pilot Campaign and what version of BoB do you have? You should be on 2.07.

If you are on both, then 610 is not a good choice as it gets retired up to 13 Group after the first day. Better choose 54 Squadron; in fact, any squadron other than 610 or 32 (Hurricane). 1 Squadron is a good one too.

It is best that you read the section on the SPC in the manual which is included with the 2.07 download, before you get too far involved.

keith_uk
Senior Airman

Post by keith_uk »

Thanks for your help borton. I do have the 2.07 version, but all i did before starting the campaign was follow the instructions in this thread.
I tried 54 squadron at first, but then started agian with 610.

I'll have a read of the manual and start again.

Thanks,

Keith.

MadRobbie1
BDG

Post by MadRobbie1 »

borton wrote:And I thought that I was the only old codger on this forum at 70. Tallyman, you've given me a new lease of life! :)

Hitler drove me out of the East End (Poplar) at the tender age of 2. I spent the War as an evacuee in lovely old Somerset.

These youngsters know nothing, do they? :wink:
Really? Where abouts? My Mother was evacuated to Martock (sp?) along with her elder sister
Win10 Home 64bit; i7-8700 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 8GB, x2 500GB SSD, x1 2TB HDD, Track IR5.
Saitek: X-55, ProPedals, Throttle Quadrant, x2 ProGamer pads; VRInsight TT Panel.

All A2A aircraft, Accufeel and Aircraft Factory Corsair/P-51/Anson.

borton
BDG

Post by borton »

Take a look at the Terrain Editing thread and guess where! :wink:

Seafireliv
BDG

Post by Seafireliv »

keith_uk wrote:I'm playing the campaign as just one guy, as i'm not into doing a Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbor job where i fly every mission in the war.

I'm in 610 squadron and on the first patrol, i shot down one Dornier 17 which was all alone leaving England (poor guy) and two Stukas. I've got to grips with landing with the settings on realistic, so all is going quite well.

The only problem is, after that first mission, i've not been given anything else to do for ages.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get more action without doing anything silly like moving all the other squadrons right up north?

Thanks

Keith.
Been flying for 65 squadron at Hornchurch in 2.08. This is the way to fly a campaign as a single fighter pilot while the bosses deal with the main planning.

Flown 5 missions so far with a long wait between mission 4 and 5 while 74 flew to give us a rest. I like the pauses between missions, just like you had in reality where you find yourself waiting for the next call. It can be a little saddening as in my case when the RAF took a couple of rough days and all 65 could do was wait. Immersive. When a mission is called, you`re chomping at the bit to get stuck in!

In the last mission we decimated dorniers. I found one straggler limping home. Set his port wing on fire, flew about (feeling a little sorry for him), then shot up his starboard wing. He went down and hit the dirt. No one bailed. Nursed my slightly damaged Spit back to base.

Single Player is (imho) more realistic for users who want to fly more like the real pilots did - without the planning.

"Let him who desires peace, prepare for war"

quoted by some veggy guy.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”