PC GAMER - March 2007 says...

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
SlipBall
Airman Basic

Post by SlipBall »

I have a question, is the 109 in bob 11, the same as the one for MS flight sim, Wings of Power....in regards to "flying by the manual" are the sounds the same, flight model the same, complex engine managment the same?

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

No, it's not exaclty the same as far as I know. In Bob, there's no possibility to make the engine management as complex as it is in FS. But it's still pretty realistic though.

cvearl
BDG

Post by cvearl »

Buddye wrote:Has anyone got their hands on the PC Gamer review that they can post for our review as yet?

Was it the March PC Gamer?
Ya it's the March copy and Page 92. Glad I picked it up. I have ordered my copy of BOBII. Thanks PC GAMER for bringing this to my attention!

Here's a few more tidbits!

He makes reference to Combat Flight Sim fans being camels with so few new air combat sims comming out lately and so on. Apparently we (combat flight sim types) are able to go long distances between drinks (air combat titles worth playing) Hahaha.

Anyway. He goes on to say that hardly anything came out in 2006 aside from Blazing Angels and Battle of Europe which he describes as "disposable arcade shootem up" type games which, in his words, "makes it all the more sweet to see the latest upgrade from Shockwave Productions for it's year old BOB II. "The WWII combat sim was pretty damned impressive at launch (PCG score 84%)" ect...

He talks about sweeping patches that cleaned up the crash to desktop bugs and stuttering issues which he felt were carry overs from the ROWANS version from 2001.

He says that if you have not tried it, you are in for a treat. He goes on to explain how it works as flight sim wrapped in an immersive RTS style dynamic campain in a WWII setting. Which you all know. ;)

He then applauds patch 2.05 for the Flight Model, AI and graphical updates and cleaning up most remaining bugs.

Says the Padlocking system remains some of the best in the business.

Says the sim offers comrehensive TrackIR supprt.

Talks quite a bit about the FM improvements for a few paragraphs.

And then the original quotes as listed by the original post in this thread.

I think he likes the sim. :)

Nice work shockwave and supporting community. I can't wait for my copy to arrive!

I have been shamelessly plugging the game (even though I have not played it) over at Rage3d.com. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33888750

Kinda presumtious I know. But I could not resist. I loved Battle of Britain:Their finest hour. I am dieing to dig in to this apparently faithfull reproduction.

C.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Cvearl,

Thanks for the super plug and welcome to the BOBII time machine (a truely great job on the plug).

The 2.06 update should be out in days, we just completed beta testing on it and we are sweeping up a few details (or we hope they are details).

The 2.06 User Guide (over 300 pages) should also be out with 2.06.

What a great time for you to enter the BOBII family.

BTW, BOBII takes a strong PC to fully enjoy all the eye candy so go slow on the setting (stay with default for a while) until you see how the game plays on your PC.

Take your time as the sim has many many features and options for you to learn. It takes a bit of time to master all of it.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

cvearl
BDG

Post by cvearl »

Buddye wrote:Hi Cvearl,

Thanks for the super plug and welcome to the BOBII time machine (a truely great job on the plug).

The 2.06 update should be out in days, we just completed beta testing on it and we are sweeping up a few details (or we hope they are details).

BTW, BOBII takes a strong PC to fully enjoy all the eye candy so go slow on the setting (stay with default for a while) until you see how the game plays on your PC.

Take your time as the sim has many many features and options for you to learn. It takes a bit of time to master all of it.
Hey thanks for the welcome. Great community yall have here. :)

EDIT -----> I plugged it at this website too. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90282 Not to be nice or anything. But because I think people should know about this great product! I mean. It's been developed over 6 years in a way right? It's a crying shame if there are sim pilots out there that don't know about it. People need to know there is more than IL2 out there as good a product as that is.

A bit off topic but since you brought up, I have an AMD X2 4600+, X1900XT Video, 2GB PC3200 RAM and Audigy Gamer Sound and WinXP.

Is that enough to crank it all up in this game? Seavee or something like that at SIMHQ thought it would be ok.

I am now trying to talk my wife into letting me get the TrackIR. I am already lookng into Force Feedback sticks. :)

C.
Last edited by cvearl on 23 Apr 2007, 20:29, edited 3 times in total.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

cvearl wrote:
Buddye wrote:Hi Cvearl,

BTW, BOBII takes a strong PC to fully enjoy all the eye candy so go slow on the setting (stay with default for a while) until you see how the game plays on your PC .

Hey thanks for the welcome. Great community yall have here. :)

A bit off topic but since you brought up, I have an AMD X2 4600+, X1900XT Video, 2GB PC3200 RAM and Audigy Gamer Sound and WinXP.

Is that enough to crank it all up in this game? Seavee or something like that at SIMHQ thought it would be ok.

C.
Yes, your PC should do fine. As you can see I am an intel man. Remember BOBII loading (as with all games these days, I expect) is a function of CPU and Memory speed but I think your PC will enjoy BOBII.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Trumper
BDG

Re: PC GAMER - March 2007 says...

Post by Trumper »

Has the PC review guys had a look at the updates since the article in PC Gamer were written,been alot of improvements and mods since then and with this 2.09 coming out maybe even better news to write about. :)
Last edited by Trumper on 01 Dec 2008, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

When 2.09 comes out we should have a push to the magazines, yes. It's a heavily changed product now.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Also, PC Pilot.
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”