To All Landscape/Terrain Modders Out There in BobII land

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
Buddye
BDG

To All Landscape/Terrain Modders Out There in BobII land

Post by Buddye »

We have completed our prelimiary testing or the Far Tile Generation process. I am not an expert but I did get through the process and it works.

For any landscape/Terrain BoBII modders out there just PM me and I will send you a link to MSVS V6.0 EXE that you can use to generate the fartile.bin file for your work.

Hope to see some new landscape work coming our way before too long.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Just a little bump for our landcsape modders.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

This is an exchange from another thread but I figured it might be informative and beneficial to have in this thread.

Kurt Slinger wrote:I use Marcel "Cellinsky" terrain tiles which I got from here...
http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/GMX%20BO ... es.htm#002
can someone please generate a set of far tiles for this wonderful enhancement?
My reply:

Hi Kurt.

The fartiles regeneration process is still being tested but it appears to be working.

This is still a "work in process" but here is a little technical info on how the fartiles process works. I am not 100% sure this is correct in every detail but the gist of it is:

The FarTiles.bin file located in the Landscap folder was created in a batch process using the textures in the Landmap2 folder. What is in the FarTiles bin is in fact the fartiles. It is a very large file (256MB).

When a modder makes terrain mods he will make them to the files of the Landmap2 folder like Cellinsky did. With the new fartiles regeneration process, the fartiles.bin file is "rebuilt" using the nearer range textures (the ones in Landmap2).

The process takes from 10 to 20 minutes to complete dependent on PC speed and available RAM, etc. but only needs to be run ONCE.

Cellinsky or others could I suppose also then run the fartiles batch regeneration process and then offer the finalized fartiles.bin file for download along with the modded Landmap2 files but that will again be a pretty big group of files for a user to have to download.

I will probably be testing this with Cellinsky's, Dutchman's and AXA's terrain mods soon.

I think Pelican72 from the checksix forums had a "work in process" BoB2 terrain mod that looked great. I'm not a member there and don't speak French. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him and the guys at Checksix forums to advise of them of this impending terrain modding capability? http://www.checksix-forums.com/
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

Winding Man
Airman

Post by Winding Man »

I have sent PM ta.

WM

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Just to clarify something:

With the fartiles regen process terrain modders will in fact be able to offer to the community ALL their modded files for download (from public file hosting sites). The fartiles actually compresses alot to a more manageable size (17 to 25MB) than I thought instead of 256MB uncompressed.

The actual process for doing the fartiles batch process will not be made widely available because it is too technical and complicated for the average PC user to handle. It would inevitably lead to too many problems if it was integrated into future public releases. With that said, any modder who has sufficient technical expertise and knowledge to be able to mod the terrain will certianly be able to do the fartile batch regen process.

The main point is that the final obstacle to experienced modders being able to do more substantial mods to the BoB terrain appears to be almost resolved.

To the terrain modders out there, send Buddye a PM for more specifics on this process.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Buddye is code busy, PM queries to me, please.
Setting up the batch process is not difficult, especially if you installed the CD to the default pathname: Battle of Britain II, as I did.

Here using Rummy's first terrain tweaks for warmer colors, and some different textures, old fartiles:

After the batch process where the new FarTiles.bin file now uses Rummy's textures:

Kurt Slinger
Airman

Post by Kurt Slinger »

Great SeaVee I will be waiting with anticipation of the tests,there's some great work going on can't wait,hey has anyone thought of creating a seasonal set,ie summer winter? that would be interesting
AMD Ryzen 3600; GTX 1660 Super 6GB; Tomahawk Mobo; 16GB Corsair Ram; WDB nVME 1GB SSD; MSI 32 inch 4k Monitor

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

I'm sure it could be done. The only issue there would be its not accurate to the historical battle of Britain time frame (late summer - fall).

Of course with future missions and continued expansions of the BoB2 game (maybe other A/C and parts of Europe) other battles of WWII can come into play here.... The future is very bright with this sim indeed.

I just wish I had the technical know how to do some modding work myself. As I read about the technical aspects of doing some of this work I am very impressed by the knowledge and skills of the Devs (coders and artists alike) and some of the community members of BoB2. I'm just too dumb to do that stuff right - about the best I can do is a rough stick figure with MS Paint. I'll happily tinker with others' fine works though :D

Pelican 72
Senior Airman

Post by Pelican 72 »

SeaVee wrote:I think Pelican72 from the checksix forums had a "work in process" BoB2 terrain mod that looked great. I'm not a member there and don't speak French. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him and the guys at Checksix forums to advise of them of this impending terrain modding capability? http://www.checksix-forums.com/
Well! :) I'm very pleased you remember my work...It will be released this month, maybe for january...so,keep an eyes on http://www.checksix-fr.com
:wink:

Best regard and merry christmas

Pélican 72
Cultiver le passé, enfanter l'avenir, tel est notre présent.

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

I remember it well. It was one of the better terrain mods I've seen.

Looking forward to it Pelican72.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. :D

Winding Man
Airman

Post by Winding Man »

Buddye - thanks for the files - I have run the -savetiles extension successfully now on quite a few terrain sets.

Best

WM

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I have made 3 different FarTiles.bin files, all succesfully. :)

capt_frank
Airman

Post by capt_frank »

looks like Pélican (or maybe Stickman) finished his terrain mod, look here: http://www.checksix-fr.com/

i'm downloading it now, trying to use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to translate... :)

Oli
Senior Airman

Post by Oli »

Hello Frank,

What do you need to translate ?
I can do it if you wish.

vlado7
Senior Airman

Post by vlado7 »

Any news on the Pelikan's terrain mod? Or Stickman's?

Thanks.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”