Track IR in BOB2 - tutorial (UPDATED)

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
da Held
Senior Airman

Post by da Held »

I'm using TIR 4 as well and am very pleased with it. :) I actually had TIR before I purchased BOB2.
But I still have to recenter the view quite often (actually ervery time I check my six) as the center shifts to somewhere else... I'm using the 6DOF even in dogfights, so the off-centering is sometimes rather annoying... :x
But I've programmed one of my joystick buttons to F12, thus the problem is quickly remedied.
Runter kommen sie alle...

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

I just got my Track IR4, it's awsome. though, I have the 3FOV presets assigned to 3 buttons on my stick, but they don't work now? What should I do?

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

and also, roll stays inverted whatever I do in the Track IR settings menu:(

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

Ok, I've figured it out now..works great!!!
How the h*ll could I exist before I had this?? :)

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Glad you got it sorted Reflected...care to share what you were doing wrong for the benefit of others?

BTW have you tried opening the canopy on a Spit or Hurri and leaning to one side or the other?....SWEET! :lol:
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

I didn't check the box wich setting I wanna use. Plus I sued FOV mode, now I switched to Z axis , so I can change my FOV with the buttons on my stick.
Haven't tried it yet, but sure I'll do;)

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

Here's another one :oops: I can't change back to cockpit view once I changed to external :(

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

Backspace

F6 and F7
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

I had an other issue, but I guess I found the solution. Sometimes my TrackIR slowed down, with high delay. In addition I couldn't change back to cockpit view. Now I found F7 activates precision mode. That's why cockpit view doesn't work, and while I tried to get back in, I switched to Prec. mode, so it slowed down, ( like if the virtual pilot were drugged) and started to mess around on my quite slow PC. I hope that's the reason for all my troubles :wink:

JamesB
BDG

Post by JamesB »

SaeVee just thought I'd let you know that I never really got on well with my own TIR profile for BOB. Just applied yours and its much better, will be using TIR a lot more now.

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

A thing I found with TrackIR is that one should change the hot keys that TrackIR starts with to keys that BOBII doesn't use.

Also, when you are through flying, turn off TrackIR. Although it can be changed so as not to do so, it appropriates its hot keys and they are not available in either e-mail or Word. I use "y" for the center view, and it was pretty frustrating writing without a "y". Especially with my name.
Falcon-NW Talon; Intel Quad Core i7 2.67 GHz; ATI HD-4870;27" Acer Widescreen Monitor; Windows 7 Home Professional 64-bit; AV8R stick & Quadrant; CH Pro Pedals; TrackIR-4

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

wnyowell wrote:A thing I found with TrackIR is that one should change the hot keys that TrackIR starts with to keys that BOBII doesn't use.
I use the same ones as used in SeaVee's tutorial <\>, <CTRL-[> and <CTRL-]> but you make a good point :wink:.
wnyowell wrote:Also, when you are through flying, turn off TrackIR. Although it can be changed so as not to do so, it appropriates its hot keys and they are not available in either e-mail or Word. I use "y" for the center view, and it was pretty frustrating writing without a "y". Especially with my name.
That is the 'Trap' function which locks out other uses for the keys and dedicates them to TrackIR use only. Deselecting the check boxes in the profile will make TrackIR share the keys with other applications.

IMHO the TrackIR unit should be turned off/set to stand-by mode (just a blue flashing light on it) when not in use anyway as the infra-red LEDs are active whenever it is powered up.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Seafireliv
BDG

Post by Seafireliv »

Seafireliv wrote:I use TIR 1 with no problems. To `side-look` left or right and out the cockpit, I`ve assigned 2 buttons on my stick. Works pretty well. One day i`ll get TIR4, oh yes, I will.

A long while ago I said I`d get a TIR4 pro...

And finally - GOT IT!

Quite amazing experince in BOB. You feel like you`re IN the plane, not ON the plane. I love looking out the cockpit at my wing before takeoff. Runs flawlessly so far. :)

"Let him who desires peace, prepare for war"

quoted by some veggy guy.

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

The following section is an update to this tutorial as of June 10, 2007. I've added it in the first post of this thread as it is important to know what one gains or "loses" with this setting.

Important Info about the use of the PADLOCK_OVERRIDES_TRACK IR=OFF or ON and its effect on the padlock View Commands:

Many people use Track IR instead of padlocking. There are times however, where the padlock function is quite useful. For example ALT+F6 is the reverse padlock view which gives you an external view of your padlocked target plane looking towards you. The other View keys (F1, F2, F3, etc and in combinations with CTRL, ALT and SHIFT) all have cool functions.

Many people using TrackIR however do not like that while a plane/target is padlocked it overrides their control of the viewpoint that TIR provides.

You can stop the various padlock views from overriding TIR in the BDG.txt file with the command line: PADLOCK_OVERRIDES_TRACKIR=OFF[/color].

There is a big negative to this however, and its that you "lose" the powerful features that the padlock view functions give you. For example the reverse padlock command (ALT+F6) which gives you a view of the enemy padlocked plane looking towards you no longer works.

IMO the benefits of the padlock system capabilities outweigh the benefit of PADLOCK_OVERRIDES_TRACKIR=OFF.

Accordingly, in my case, I am now leaving this setting ON but just toggle on/off the padlock if/when needed simply by using the ENTER key. I have programmed the ENTER key to one of my joystick buttons. With his line set to ON you still get the benefits of TIR tracking planes with your head but don't entirely lose the benefits of the powerful padlock system as i can toggle on/off the padlock nearly instantly as desired.

**************** End edit June 10, 2007.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

jamesdietz
Staff Sergeant

Post by jamesdietz »

In Il-2 FB/PF you can easily assign a "Gunsight view"...is such a view available in BoB ?I'd like to assign it to a button on my joystick & also assign a "regular or wide angle view to an adjacement button...or maybe a button where I can toggle either view...so far managing to do this has eluded me... :oops:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”