Badgers Aloft

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
Phantom of the Ruhr
Staff Sergeant

Re: Badgers Aloft

Post by Phantom of the Ruhr »

Calling Stickman, over,

Your last post helped me as well, but a thought occured about Badger's visibility prob.

I 've never altered the Horizon Distance, do you think that might help?

And another one, I don't particularly want to use Track IR, is there a way of getting the same peripheral view without it and could that be linked to mouse X Y rotation?
Last edited by Phantom of the Ruhr on 11 Feb 2012, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
POTR
"Only birds and fools fly and even the birds don't fly at night"

Badger
Airman

Post by Badger »

stickman wrote:
I find the grass airfields in "WoV" incredibly difficult to tie down.
Control - F3 keys will give a target padlock which I call "Main Airfield Target". If you are landing, this is useful as long as you are near the field. Turn on the "Target Padlock Diamond" which is Shift- T, and the diamond will be on the airfield usually at a point central and near the main hangars.
Genius! :D If these work it'll pretty much solve my problem I think.

A diamond on the landing field won't hurt immersion that much and is a small price to pay to not have to struggle to see where the runway is. I've long since learned to make compromises when it comes to the colour blindness issue and at least here I have options. Colour blindness is very much an ignored disability and options are all too often few and far between.

As far as an airfield padlock goes, well that's terrific. I'll let you know how the combination works out for me.

Badger

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Phantom-o-t-Ruhr,
I 've never altered the Horizon Distance, do you think that might help?
I do not think so.
And another one, I don't particularly want to use Track IR, is there a way of getting the same peripheral view without it and could that be linked to mouse X Y rotation?
Not to work like Track-IR. If in the Controls Config, you have View - azimuth and View - elevation set for Mouse, then you can view pan around using the mouse.
I often use mouse pan in external view when I am lost.
I still do not use Track-IR, though must whom do swear by it as essential.
To me, the BoBII padlocking system works good for me in a battle. You can quickly find the Next or (especially important) Nearest Enemy, your Leader, etc.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Badger,
Colour blindness is very much an ignored disability and options are all too often few and far between.
Yes. One never hears of it except while taking a med physical. You are the first person I've heard that has it.

The padlock diamond is an option. You can turn off, and when padlocking the main Airfield, it will at least be at the center of the screen.
You may be able to note the trees around the field and use the tree layout to guide you further.

Phantom of the Ruhr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Phantom of the Ruhr »

Forget my previous stupid question, the answers's obvious
POTR
"Only birds and fools fly and even the birds don't fly at night"

Badger
Airman

Post by Badger »

Afternoon Gents

Just checking back in to let you know that I'm safely down for my first landing. Not only that but it was so good that the snippy instructor who hates my take offs so much, actually complemented me! Of course whether or not I can do it again remains to be seen. :lol:

I'd have included a commemorative Badger style pic to celebrate, but I forgot to put Fraps on and it seems that "WoV" is not a happy bunny if you try any fancy stuff like Alt Tabbing.

Anyway I was obviously very pleased to be safely on the ground and on my way for tea and scones with Ginger. The only minor fly in my ointment of success, was that I had to spend ages messing about in the cockpit trying to turn off the fuel cocks and the magnetos (having not got around to hot keying them yet) because it seems occasionally that the mouse rebels and will only switch on/off one of each pair regardless of where I place it. Never mind, I got there in the end. :D

FYI by the way... (I don't think I ever used "FYI" before, I don't think I like it! :lol: ) Initially "Ctr-F3" didn't do anything for me at all and neither did "Shift-T" even though I was within two miles of the airfield. I don't know if maybe I was doing something wrong, but that said the key chart lists the "f3" combination's as being "Ground targets, next, previous & nearest." Forgive the new boy for doubting the masters :wink: but my airfield isn't a target right?

Instead I found "F5" which padlocks the target of the last radio message, then switching between "F5" and "Enter" to toggle the view on and of as I needed it. At which point "Shift T" magically worked as well. Fantastic! :D

What a landing though lads, really you should have seen it. I'm telling you, you could have rested your cup of tea on the dashboard, never spilled a drop and not had to worry about your best china! :lol:

Badger

Badger
Airman

Post by Badger »

Afternoon all

New questions and as such I wasn't sure whether to carry on here or start a new thread... but on the basis of not wanting to fill up the board with incessant newbie Badger threads, I'll just keep adding here unless directed otherwise.

Couple of things, one annoying.

Frustratingly I can't seem to find an option to switch on an aiming cue for the Turkey Shoot. I'm trying to learn using as many realistic modes as possible, but this one I decided to walk first and run later, by using a cue while I am trying to learn the deflection angles. Thing is I'm sure I've read this in the manual and now I can't find it!

The other question I ask with fingers crossed. Is it possible to change the colour of the info bar? You already know of course I have problems in this area and this info bar is probably the worst colour it could possibly be! :lol: Can I change it to white or something?

Badger

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I can't seem to find an option to switch on an aiming cue for the Turkey Shoot. I'm trying to learn using as many realistic modes as possible, but this one I decided to walk first and run later, by using a cue while I am trying to learn the deflection angles.
In the bdg text file (root folder) there is a gunnery predictor chest. It draws a red line to an X where you should shoot. The line is toward the bottom of the text file:

Novice_Gunnery_Predictor=OFF # NOTE Must padlock target to see predictor. Set to ON to see it
Is it possible to change the colour of the info bar? You already know of course I have problems in this area and this info bar is probably the worst colour it could possibly be! :lol: Can I change it to white or something?
By default, the Info Line bar is OFF. This line about the middle of the bdg text file will turn the bar on or off. It is fray as I recall. I always turn it off.
SHOW_INFOLINE_BACKGROUND=OFF

About the top of the bdgtxt file is this line that determines the color of the Info Line color:
INFOLINE_COLOUR = ffffff00

You can set this line from the Game GUI > Options > Adv. > Game. Select a better color with the Info Line Colour setting. White is one choice.

If you select Custom, then you need to manually put in the RGB color code values with the bdg text line.
Probably hard for you to do.
I prefer the line to be yellow. Much easier to see against all backgrounds.

Maybe I can help you find a color code that looks OK to you.

Badger
Airman

Post by Badger »

Evening Stickman. Thanks for the quick reply, I was holding off my next flight until I got it sorted. :)
stickman wrote:In the bdg text file (root folder) there is a gunnery predictor chest. It draws a red line to an X where you should shoot. The line is toward the bottom of the text file:Novice_Gunnery_Predictor=OFF # NOTE Must padlock target to see predictor. Set to ON to see it
Oh, you have to change the files to get this?... I'll see how brave I'm feeling at some point, or maybe I'll just persevere and tough it out. I'm sure I'll soon have em dancing the chain gun cha cha.
stickman wrote:You can set this line from the Game GUI > Options > Adv. > Game. Select a better color with the Info Line Colour setting. White is one choice.
Done and done! That's much better thanks, the white is probably the best choice for me. I did wonder about the clouds, but I can even see it against those so great stuff.
stickman wrote:Maybe I can help you find a color code that looks OK to you.
I think I'm ok now I can see the info Stickman. Very nice of you to offer to put yourself out though. 8)

Right that's me for now, I guess I'm chocks away again. :D

Badger

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Badger,
Oh, you have to change the files to get this?... I'll see how brave I'm feeling at some point, or maybe I'll just persevere and tough it out.
Yes, you can edit the bdg text file. It is a more detailed way to change the game configuration.
Some lines or merely ON or OFF switch choices.
Some lines allow the player to change "effects" by altering value numbers.
You should not be afraid of fiddling with the bdg text file. Always a good idea to back the bdg text file up, before messing with it.

I am very familiar with it, editing it, for mine own choices, since 2001. Even some of us old BDG members say.. "Mein Gott! Der bdg text file ist sehr bloaten!!"
It is huge, and can seem intimidating.
Fear not! Buddye and I come to this forum every day. We will help and guide you.
Done and done! That's much better thanks, the white is probably the best choice for me. I did wonder about the clouds, but I can even see it against those so great stuff.
:) White is always a good choice.

I read this somewhere:
"White light contains light of all frequencies. In that sense, white is a combination of all colors.
Black objects absorb light of all frequencies. This means that very little light is reflected from them. Black is the absence of reflected light."

My Mom advised me early on as a lad learning how to walk..:
"Do NOT look into the eye of the SUN! She will burn your eyes out!"
My Dad, when I was 10 years old, I asked him if he truly believed in God, told me
"See the Sun? That is the only god I know that keeps me warm and alive. Don't look directly into His eye. He will burn you."

I confess that I did, and still do.. steal some quick glances into the eye of the Sun,
to try and see what is inside it.
I think I'm ok now I can see the info Stickman. Very nice of you to offer to put yourself out though.
My wish is to help other folk. That is the only way I truly know how to find God.
Since these Badger (Badger .. which is a German call sign for the 3rd Staffel in a BoBII LW formation) :wink: posts,
I have Gooogled Color Blindness.
Before I knew nothing! Now I know a little bit more about it. I Thank Thee, Badger.
This is one simulator for color blindness. Had to see something new, never witnessed before.

http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/2.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marine Corps (Viet Nam era enlisted man's creed) :
"Kill Something Every Day, No Matter How Insignificant!"

I took this creed and used it later as a Mechanic Worker.
"Learn Something Every Day, No Matter How Insignificant!"
"Fix Something Every Day, No Matter How Insignificant!"

There is a Lover's creed, which no one taught me, but I knew it by instinct:
"Please the Lady first, then you shall be Pleased!"

Aloha!

Badger
Airman

Post by Badger »

That's an interesting link Stickman, I've not seen one of those before and I've forwarded it to some folks who often ask me questions about colour blindness. I had a quick look myself, but perhaps predictably I couldn't really see much difference between the different modes in the top section.

To be honest it's something which is so rarely an important issue, that for the most part I rarely give it any thought.

As it's been a lifelong thing, what I see is what I expect to see...erm..if that makes any sense and so what I see as Red for example, is what I was taught was Red and in this much you and I would call the same thing Red. (Now that did sound confusing! :lol: )

I did ru into problems at school once the problem was discovered and the education system in its wisdom decided that the thing to do was to train me to understand what I was actually seeing... which of course just left me confused.

In real terms though it boils down to not being able to separate things which are side by side. So while I know a traffic light sequence.. if the lights were all three on together (which happily does not happen) a lot would depend on the specific shade. Stand me in front of a Snooker table and...well, forget it. :lol:

I think twice in my life it's been a factor in a job interview. Once when I left school and almost joined the RAF. They accepted me and wanted to test the range of the problem to ascertain what jobs I could and couldn't do. In the end I never joined so never took that test. (That would have been interesting.)

Then the second time was a couple of years back when applying for a driving/warehousing position. But it turned out I couldn't read their cataloging system. oops! :lol:

Other than that though if it does become an issue, it's usually in leisure situations. Games with unfortunate text colours or as here where buildings, grass and runways are difficult or impossible to extract from one another.

Also in computer games... Many FPS titles which of course involve either terrain blending aspects or actual camouflage! Tough to spot those little bleeders until they're dancing on your twitching corpse! :lol:

Multi-player FPS's even more so and I can only play with a very forgiving crowd because.... well you guessed it... I can't tell my side apart from OPFOR, until they are close enough to pick out details! Woe unto the team mate of your Badger, who sneaking around outside my safe zone, finds himself the recipient of a gift of hot lead in the back of the head! :lol:

(Obviously that means I can't play with people I don't know for fear of upsetting folks. But interestingly I will tell you that where I have done this.. the most forgiving overall was the good sports at "Day of Defeat" while the least forgiving by a very long way was the grouchy die hards of "America Army". :lol:)

Other than gaming, a magazine who plays with it's print colour for different articles is my enemy. As is a game of Snooker played with someone who's not prepared to help me out in a sportsman like fashion. :D

Picking out furniture v's carpets and the like? Jobs for Mrs Badger. Trying to pick fresh fruit like Strawberries from the field? Best avoided. :lol:

There you go, my ode to off topic is over. :lol:

Badger

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”