Is it possible?

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
new reply
paleeagle
Senior Airman

Is it possible?

Post by paleeagle »

Not sure if this has been thought of before. I am sure it has as it is a simple and obvious thing. Is it possible to have damaged bombers drop out of formation when damaged. I often seen bombers trailing black smoke from both engines yet still flying along in formation, on course and easily maintaining height and speed.

I have a couple of times seen a bomber lag behind (mainly my aircraft) after taking some damage but it is not often.

Is there a reason this may not be possible? CPU overload etc because of 400+ bombers all needing accurate damage/speed/height calculations?

Maybe if it was too complicated to add a damage/speed model, would it be possible to say make the undercarriage drop (say 20% chance of this happening)when the damage gets to a certain level. That may be enough to slow the aircraft enough to make it look like it is "limping along" But only having a 20% chance (or similar) of this happening would not make it happen all the time as that would then become boring and obvious if every bombers wheels dropped ever time.

Thoughts?

PV
BDG

Re: Is it possible?

Post by PV »

paleeagle wrote:Not sure if this has been thought of before. I am sure it has as it is a simple and obvious thing. Is it possible to have damaged bombers drop out of formation when damaged. I often seen bombers trailing black smoke from both engines yet still flying along in formation, on course and easily maintaining height and speed.
Stragglers have been coded since 2.04 . Search the term in the manual. There are damage requirements before a bomber becomes a straggler.

paleeagle
Senior Airman

Post by paleeagle »

Thanks for the reply it is good to know. I have yet to see one. Maybe I am just unlucky.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

paleeagle wrote:Thanks for the reply it is good to know. I have yet to see one. Maybe I am just unlucky.
Fly the Historic London mission as a HE111. Then hit F6 (extrnal view) , rotate the view 180 degrees (<-, -> keys), zoom out (- key), and just watch the action from the front of the 15 He111 formation.

I bet you will see a straggler (possibly more tha one). They will fall back slowly and try to keep up. They may head back home early and not drop their bombs or they may continue to the target behind the He111 squad. The RAF fighter may also target them.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Bought DeFarm
Airman First Class

Post by Bought DeFarm »

In campaign mode I can assure you that there are stragglers - I've even bagged one or two myself. Just couldn't bear the thought of them making it home!!!!!!
"Well done everyone. Home & tea. For once you deserve it"

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Bought DeFarm wrote:In campaign mode I can assure you that there are stragglers - I've even bagged one or two myself. Just couldn't bear the thought of them making it home!!!!!!
Your avatar goes so well with that post :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”