Airfield charts anyone ?

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
new reply
Wehner
Senior Airman

Airfield charts anyone ?

Post by Wehner »

While circling around the airfields, I often wonder where the actual runway lines up or is meant to be. I can spot the hangars, but I am ambiguous about the runways. I know that they're grass and camouflaged and all that.
I searched here, googled and browsed through the faq section without success, so I reckon the posting is justified.

Michael.
Nobody criticized the pilot for making that slow roll. American fighter pilots are supposed to have enough steam in their breeches to try something out of the book once in a while. The fact that he didn't make it was his own business.

Trumper
BDG

Re: Airfield charts anyone ?

Post by Trumper »

:) Hello,
A few of the airfields have runways you can see BUT the Luftwaffe ones in France are mostly just areas of grass,no runways.They are quite difficult to spot as well until you learn to see the slight differences when the buildings come into range and view.
Hope this helps :)

Wehner
Senior Airman

Post by Wehner »

Thank you very much, Trumper, it's a start.

I can find the airfields, at least for now, but I would like to do it "right", in terms of approach and lining up (even with a curved approach). So it would be nice to have airfield diagrams. I did a fairly thorough search meanwhile and found no comprehensive online sources, despite the big popularity of the Battle of Britain and the fable of the British for their historic airfields. I found two books which might fulfill my needs, but I do not want to spend too much money on it.

I may do best with searching individual charts for an individual airfield, as there are some online.

Michael.
Nobody criticized the pilot for making that slow roll. American fighter pilots are supposed to have enough steam in their breeches to try something out of the book once in a while. The fact that he didn't make it was his own business.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Actually most airfields had no runways or defined direction of take off / landing apart from that given by the wind direction.
The undercarriages were optimised for grass and not asphalt or concrete and so sometimes warbirds pilots on airshows actually take off besides the runway instead of on it. Back then they just used a big meadow. This changed a bit during the war as bomber became heavier and fighters faster (regarding landing speed).

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Ask the tower for the wind direction, and land against the wind. This is what the pilots had to do.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

And circle the field,
ever slow...ing down,
to touch the earth,
light as a feather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNA_K_i ... re=related

Norah is the daughter of Ravi Shankar famous Indian (Dot, not Feather) sitar player.
She was born in Manhattan, New York,
but was raised up as a youngster in West Texas!

--------------

When you crash...
this is a good Norah song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ergc9ZSL ... re=related

Wehner
Senior Airman

Post by Wehner »

Thank you guys. If that's the way it was meant to be - I'll do so.
Stickmann, I favourited that song. Thx.
Suits my taste.

Michael.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Buddye wrote:Ask the tower for the wind direction, and land against the wind. This is what the pilots had to do.

Exactly so. They would take off and land into wind. You are crazy to do anything else in these aircraft.

In fact today's Heathrow airport was originally a fighter station and its layout stems from the fact that the fighters just pointed their noses into the wind to take off.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Wehner
Senior Airman

Post by Wehner »

Bader wrote:
Buddye wrote:Ask the tower for the wind direction, and land against the wind. This is what the pilots had to do.
Exactly so. They would take off and land into wind. You are crazy to do anything else in these aircraft.
sorry, this is way too practical and inherently untidy.

Michael.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”