Lost

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
new reply
don2712
Airman Basic

Lost

Post by don2712 »

Hi guys,

I wonder if someone might be able to help me I played the original BOB many years ago and remember having a similar problem I cannot find the airstrips in some of the exercises.
Flying the circuit exercise in a spit using tangmere as a base the strip is virtually directly below you at the start and using the heading given it is easy to relocate if you need to.
However flying from other airports such as Biggin Hill or on the French side there does not seem to be a strip below when you start and following the heading given does not seem to lead to an airstrip even after a period of flying.
Am I doing something wrong?
Not that it is a big deal it's only a practice exercise I'm just curious.

Thanks
Don

scoobared
BDG

Re: Lost

Post by scoobared »

Hello Don2712 and welcome back to BoB!

Although Tangmere has an actual airstrip, many if not most of the airfields in BoB will actually be grassy fields without strips, and it can be very tricky when first playing to spot them, since they blend in so easily with the surrounding farmlands. Of course, the more visible they were, the more likely they were to get bombed!

When you ask for a vector, the Tower should give you a distance in miles as well. After you've flown a bit, do you call the Tower again to check the vector? If you've flown a little off course, they might have you adjust, but also, they will give you the distance in miles again, so you can check your progress.

Also, note that in some Instant Action Missions, you have a choice of squadrons as well as a choice of airfields at the beginning. If I'm not mistaken, if you choose a squadron based at, for instance, Tangmere, but select Hawkinge as the airfield to fly the mission, you'll start over Hawkinge but the Tower will give you a home vector to Tangmere---and a very long flight!

As far as spotting the fields, it's something I just had to get used to, and I can still fly right over one if I'm not careful. Try to maintain enough altitude to see a great panorama of the landscape, and look for open green areas tucked within the patchwork of farmlands. It's really something you just develop an eye for.

Ps--Can your PC run with Horizon set to at least medium?

don2712
Airman Basic

Post by don2712 »

Hi Scoobared,

Thank you very much for your comments.

Yes, I was also thinking that it was probably due to the strips being camoflaged because of the historical accuracy of the program.

I don't remember hearing a distance given by the tower, only a heading but no, I haven't recalled the tower for a check on my position.

Part of this is probably because I am not very good at using on screen manuals, I prefer to have a printed copy but because it's over 400 pages so I have only printed some parts, I assume the procedure for this exercise is in the manual somewhere.

I will have to check out if there is a choice of squadrons for that exercise that is a very good point.
As you say its something I will just have to learn to do, I have been spoiled with FSX nearly always a compass and a runway lol.

I will try altering the horizon setting, I'm not sure what I have it set to at present but it shouldn't be a problem with this PC, BOB is running well in 1290x1080 with everything maxed out at about 75 fps according to the in game counter, I don't think I will bother to tweak the graphics card.

Thanks again, this is a great site, I feel I am a pain asking such dumb questions and I really do appreciate that people are taking the time to answer me.

Don

scoobared
BDG

Post by scoobared »

Not at all, feel free to ask questions anytime.

If you're getting 75 fps with everything maxed out, that's pretty good! Beats my PC by a mile. You should definitely run with the Horizon set to Medium or High if it's not already, and it doesn't affect FPS. Mine is set to Medium.

Keep us informed on your progress, and enjoy! BoBII will be a rewarding experience if you stick with it.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

don2712 wrote:
Part of this is probably because I am not very good at using on screen manuals, I prefer to have a printed copy but because it's over 400 pages so I have only printed some parts, I assume the procedure for this exercise is in the manual somewhere.
There is a new letter-size manual available, which cuts down the paper requirement considerably, though I presume it must use a comparable amount of ink to the original:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=19864

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Hi bob,

If you like to go on to my website, you will find two brand new manuals. Both PDF. one to A4 size and one to letter size. The URLs are:

< HTTP://web.ukonline.net/phold/programs/ ... ual_a4.rar > for the A4 manual.
< HTTP://web.ukonline.net/phold/programs/ ... letter.rar > for the letter size manual.

You will need 'winrar' or similar to uncompressed them. When uncompressed they are in PDF format.

You may find some page references are still incorrect. As I find them I do update them and put the newer version up.

Hope they are of some help.
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”