Spitfire Take-Off tips.

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
ckolonko
Airman

Spitfire Take-Off tips.

Post by ckolonko »

Hi.

Currently I can take off in the Spitfire with a fairly high success rate. However, I need a few tips to stop the left wing slewing on take off while on the ground. I do trim the rudder fully right and that seems to make no difference.

Buddye
BDG

Re: Spitfire Take-Off tips.

Post by Buddye »

I have the same problem but if I get the rudder just the right amount I can roll stright with level wings. I just do not practice takeoff enought to get it right each time.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

You also need to apply a little right stick to counteract the roll to port due to prop torque at low speed, easing back to centre as your speed builds up. I've also read somewhere that some pilots didn't bother using the rudder trim but just used course rudder adjustments using the pedals.

Are you setting the propeller pitch to fine and the elevator trim to one point nose down?

Having said all that, my take offs are always very untidy - pity help anyone on my lefthand side as I nearly always slew that way!

Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsJBjbCyvM
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

ckolonko
Airman

Post by ckolonko »

Thanks Baza.

My takeoffs are getting pretty tidy its just the speed factor. For a time I used the coarse prop setting which I realised was wrong for takeoffs, use the old car gears analogy. I think what is most important is just getting off the ground and not taking out half of your squad mates. Cheers for the vid also.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Very important to *ease* the throttle forward allowing you to play the rudder. Whatever you do, do not slam the throttle forward. In fact you really don't want full throttle (if at all) until the wings are lightening up and giving lift at around 45 mph. It's so very easy if you take things slowly.

Rush it and you crash.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

ckolonko
Airman

Post by ckolonko »

I remember when I flew in the original that I used to ram the throttle forward and often forgot to un-toggle the brakes leading to a nose over. Thanks for the advice Bader.

HermanGraf
Airman

Post by HermanGraf »

Okay does any1 have a complete guide for taking off AND landing?? The book just does not do it for me. Like all of you i have the same trouble veering to the left TERRIBLY in my Bf109.

I would like a very in depth procedure of all i must do to take off and land. Thanks guys!

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Somewhere, there was a particularly helpful thread for each of take offs and landings, but the search function here is broken, and won't find any entries from between 8 months and 20 months ago, where they are probably lurking, so I wasn't able to find them. I did find these, which might help some for take offs: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=9961
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=12398

HermanGraf
Airman

Post by HermanGraf »

Okay thnaks for your response. But really every1 is asking for Spitfire and hurricane tips. It really does seem like nobody tries the Luftwaffe in this game. The Bf109 and Spit are very diff, i read the Bf109 doesnt have rudder trim like the spitfire does, only elevator trim. So explaining how to take off those planes is very different. I will say most ppl have the same problem i do, i veer to the left VIOLENTLY when taking off. Even when im easy on the stick, throttle, trim, i can get off the ground, but when trying to fly in squadron formation its very hard. If i didnt veer so bad to the left id be okay. Oh. I havent landed in this game yet, lol. Ive practiced so many times but crashed. I cannot control the aircraft at low speeds.

Anyway so help with taking off and landing IN A BF109 would be very helpful

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

HermanGraf, I do try the Bf 109 occasionally. The tips are IMO applicable to any single engine AC in BoB2. Unless you ask about flaps settings - this not a tip, this is a part of the procedure ;) First know the procedure. Trim settings, flaps settings, propeller pitch setting - everything to the last one. I don't know if there are complete per AC procedures available. AFAIK no. I see a task on the horizon :)

My tips:

- find out the proper procedure. Sometimes I enjoy fighting a plane improperly configured for take-off/landing but it's not what we are looking for now.

- don't apply full throttle right at the beginning and later increase the throttle slowly

- at very low speeds you level wings only using rudder. Ailerons won't work yet. Right wing too low -> kick it (apply right rudder)

- few seconds later ailerons will start to work. Try to establish the right amount of both rudder and ailerons (stick) without changing it back and forth. Also try to memorize the amounts for characteristic moments of the run. Try to change the amounts smoothly as airspeed increases.

Not much but my take-offs and landings are far from perfect either.

Edit:
Sorry if I repeated some of your advices. I know I did, but treat it like my "what helps me the most" list :) I feel like I could try to prepare the tutorial including video recording of TO and landing. For Spitfire and Bf 109. I know that in the manual on page 193 there is a link to spitfire landing/TO video tutorial http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=5082 (check out the written tutorial there too!) but without controls position and flight parameters visible it's rather incomplete.
Does anyone have real TO/landing procedures for both ACs?
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Tutorials http://tinyurl.com/4thtx5c
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Here's another useful thread for landings, but remember, you can't open the cockpit on the german aircraft; well you can, but the panels fly away, and you won't be able to close them again (and presumably the ground crew won't be very happy about finding replacement parts...).

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 7&p=123667

and for taking off:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 8&p=114401

As to "real" take off procedures, the only reference I know is at airfronts, and I believe you're familiar with those: http://bob2resources.ww2airfronts.org/D ... /docs.html , as noted on the Reference Docs thread on the General Forum. An extremely (laughably!) rudimentary instruction on Bf109e take off, and a link to more in depth Pilot Notes for Spits and Hurri's, but they are for MkIIs in both cases.

chumleigh
BDG

Post by chumleigh »

Bucic's tips were pretty well on the money regarding the 109, I'd say.

If it hasn't been mentioned already I like the elevator trim full nose-up in both take-offs and landings. At the same time I make it a point to keep the nose down with the stick until I've picked up plenty of speed.

As for how much and when to apply rudder and ailerons Bucic hit the nail on the head.

One thing is for sure - If you can get the hang of the 109, the spitfire will be a piece of cake.
(2) striped WD 10,000rpm SATA HDD's, Intel QX9650 CPU, EVGA 790i Ultra SLI, Ultra X3 1000 Watt SLI PSU (4x1GB) OCZ 2000MHz SLI DDR3, XP Pro 64, (2) EVGA 512MB 8800 GTS GPU's, Saitek stick and pedals, TrackIR 5, HP w2408h -1920X1200

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

I got another job (paralell) and while it's good for me it's quite bad for the tutorial project. I could make the first recording attempt now but I can't still find right procedure. The "procedure" in Spit MKII pilot's notes is so vague that I wouldn't even call it a procedure.

Now these I can call procedures http://bob2resources.ww2airfronts.org/D ... -ops-1.pdf (from the great site PV posted a link before). So Bf 109 first it is. If I can't pull it out tomorrow, I will do it monday evening.

Anyone can help me by providing:
- tips for FRAPS to get the smoothest recording possible. This would speed things up, as my recordings till today includes stuttering
- a how to describing the easy method of pasting a black screen with titles into a movie (the easy way, necessary) and titles overlaying the video material. "Use VirtualDub" won't do. I'm familiar with VD and I know it's not even remotely close to be self-explanatory. So I would need a procedure.
- suplementary tips/corrections regarding the procedure I posted a link to. Any.

So, keep your fingers crossed newcomers :)
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Ah, I thought you were more interested in the details of handling during take off. The takeoff instructions in that checklist are exactly "take off", which is why Snip wrote "yeah, right" beside it.

If you are interested in the full preflight checklist procedure, check out this one for a real spitfire (it's a Mk IX ). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsJBjbCyvM&fmt=18

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

In fact I'm interested in both. The reason is fresh pilot is being thought both - the procedure and handling/tips. My evaluation of the landing section of the MK II pilot's notes (red cover) is simple. If a pilot tought TO/LNDG only according to that section is going to be sent for his first flight alone, he'd better have a lifetime friend holding a letter to his family and girlfriend.

I go home for a weekend (near home of 315 sqdn that is :) ) and the help request is still open including an extended (plus tips) TO/LNDG procedures. I will probably post both - my procedure and proposed tutorial scenario and we'll discuss it.
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”