How to set up Nvidia settings for BOB?

A place where general info about BOB2 can be found
stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: How to set up Nvidia settings for BOB?

Post by stalkervision »

-Zorro- wrote:Is there a "How to" for good settings and explanations. For example the 3d settings. mip mapping and the like? On the manage 3d settings witn Nvidia do I add the BOBexe in the bob file to attach it to the nvidia list of games? Thanks

Just happen to come by this post. :) Do you have a Nvidia 8800GT buddy? It might not matter anyway and is worth a try.

Here are my settings on the Nvidia control panel.

anastropic 16 x / antialiasing/gamma on / antalising mod-override any application setting / antialising 16 x / antialising transparency off/ comformany tecture clamp use hardware / error report off/ extension limt off/ force mipmaps trilinear / prerendered frames three / single display performance mod / texture filtering anistropic off / texture filtering neg lod allow/ texture filtering High quality / texture filtering triliner optimization off / thread optomization on / triple buffering on / vertical synch on

Hope it helps you make some nice screenies.. :wink:

Hylander_1715
Technical Sergeant

Post by Hylander_1715 »

Stalkervision,

The 8800s are fairly universal on the settings. So the settings you have wotk on my 8800 GTS, even though there are differences in the cards, the software is pretty much the same. Mainly depends on what drivers you use, as some drivers have more options, and some drivers don't work with BoBII. That's the roughest part, getting the the drivers updated with a good set.
Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Prem. SP1
nForce 780i mobo
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU QX9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
FSB 1333
8096MB OCZ SLI Ready RAM
DirectX 10
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 x 2 in SLi
Realtek HD Audio 7.1

redband_151
BDG

Post by redband_151 »

Stalkervision,

I am curious why you do not have the anisotropic set to application controlled. I had thought that was the preferred method with BOB.
Abit IP35-Pro; Intel Core 2 duo 6850 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120-Extreme and 120 MM Scythe fan, 4 GB Corsair DDR2-1066, XFX (G92) 8800 GTS, OCZ Gamestream 700., 320 MB Seagate sata HDD, Asus sata 20x DVDRW w/ light scribe, and a no name floppy

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

redband_151 wrote:Stalkervision,

I am curious why you do not have the anisotropic set to application controlled. I had thought that was the preferred method with BOB.
I find the application controls like this tend to degrade the screenies somewhat buddy. Imo from using and not using this setting the game software lowers the anastropic settings more then I like and I can see the difference. In big missions the games setting is a plus I am sure when it comes to frame rate though.

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

Game filtering settings kick in on and off depending on the frame rate needed but imo degrade close up images and backgrounds far too much for excellent screenies like I like. They do help frame rates though as I said. :)

Bigfish2
Airman Basic

Post by Bigfish2 »

Stalkervision, I applied your settings to my EVGA 8800 GTX and the visual improvement was unbelievable. All the shimmering scenery etc. has gone, replaced by beautiful clear views, and the planes and other objects look fantastic. I doubt I could have figured all this out myself so thanks very much for sharing your knowledge. I stumbled across your post by accident and wonder if it might be linked up to the sticky on "BoBII Performance notes" so others could find it easily? Or maybe a sticky on "Getting the most out of BoB II visuals"? Just a thought.
--------------
Intel Core 2 E6750, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, MSI P35 Neo2, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX, Sound Blaster Audigy, Direct X 9.0C, XP SP2 , TM Cougar with U2nxt conversion ,TrackIR4 Pro, Game Commander 2, Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

I haven't been playing any PC games for a while now due to work and life distractions and have not updated my drivers for months...

Some settings I use in posts using some of the older NVIDIA drivers are below. In the most recent NVIDIA drivers there may be a few changes but the basic elements should be pretty much the same.

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=9115

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=6924

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=6093
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

Lewis
Airman Basic

Post by Lewis »

So is it best to keep game settings for AA and turn off on Nvidia controls, well for Bob at least?

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

For nVidia, you want AA (anti-aliasing) set at the card, but AF (anisotropic filtering) set by the game, and set as "application controlled" on the card settings. This is what is shown in those links.

Lewis
Airman Basic

Post by Lewis »

ah ok thanks will give it a go!

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

It's helpful to know few things:
1. The following settings are NOT your concern (or you leave them on defaults). They are either OpenGL only, will be blanked when you set Texture filtering=High quality anyway or are insignificant:
  • comformant tecture clamp
    error reporting
    extension limt
    texture filtering anistropic ... optimization
    texture filtering triliner optimization
So basicly you end up with the following list of settings you'll be interested in:
  • anastropic filtering
    antialiasing/gamma
    antalising mode
    antialising setting
    antialising transparency
    force mipmaps
    prerendered frames
    Multi-display/mixed...
    texture filtering neg lod
    texture filtering quality
    threaded optomization
    triple buffering
    vertical synch
2. Of the last list you almost always set these
    force mipmaps Trilinear
    prerendered frames 3
    Multi-display/mixed... Single display...
    texture filtering neg lod allow for compat. / clamp for better quality
    texture filtering quality HIGH QUALITY ***
    threaded optomization On for BoB2
like this. NOTE ***: I have never seen any performance drop or gain due to fiddling with this option and I can guarantee that you will always see the difference in quality.

So now you have only these to worry about:
  • anastropic filtering
    antialiasing/gamma
    antalising mode
    antialising setting
    antialising transparency
    triple buffering (on when V-sync is on)
    vertical sync
Where only bolded settings will give you FPS differences noticable right away.

3. It's good to visit this site http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=d_start to get not only simple explanations of the settings but also some dynamic comparisons like this one http://www.nhancer.com/help/AFSamples.htm.

A good read on Anti Aliasing http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... IxOCw3LCw=

The simple conclusion is one should use CSAA modes because
you can achieve 16X AA quality at nearly the same speed as 4X AA.
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Tutorials http://tinyurl.com/4thtx5c
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

I've just tested forced 16x anizo instead of application controlled 16x. It gave me massive ground textures shimmering. Just like with no filtering at all. I've set in-game NONE and 16x in nVidia CP.

Here are my current settings.
anastropic filtering APP CONTROLLED (and 16x in BoB2 GUI)
antialiasing/gamma ON
antalising mode OVERRIDE
antialising setting 8X (CSAA)
antialising transparency OFF
force mipmaps TRILINEAR
prerendered frames 3
Multi-display/mixed... SINGLE...
texture filtering neg lod CLAMP
texture filtering quality HIGH Q-TY
threaded optomization ON
triple buffering ON
vertical synch FORCE ON

The distant terrain textures are so stable and of high quality I was stunned. Screenshots won't show you this.because I can't notice any aliasing even on dark wing edge against white cloud or on control cables!
Attachments
bob 2009-04-05 16-06-00-17.jpg
bob 2009-04-05 16-06-00-17.jpg (247.37 KiB) Viewed 18628 times
bob 2009-04-05 16-04-57-45.jpg
bob 2009-04-05 16-04-57-45.jpg (240.52 KiB) Viewed 18633 times
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Tutorials http://tinyurl.com/4thtx5c
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

Baza
BDG

Post by Baza »

Bucic wrote:Here are my current settings.
anastropic filtering APP CONTROLLED (and 16x in BoB2 GUI)
Bucic (or anyone else) - how do you set the anisotropic setting in the BoB GUI?
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Options->More GFX

Filtering = 16X

Set AF to appilication controlled in your control panel.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Prem Holdaway
BDG

Post by Prem Holdaway »

Exactly the same as me, Barry. Anything that is application controlled is allowed to be controlled by the application and in the case of Bob 2, is only set up in Bob 2. In the case of my card, funny things can happen, if I use the card software. The card by the way is a sapphire ATI radio on X850XT. Hope that helps
Prem.

Asus Rog Strix Z690 F WiFi, Intel I9 12900 3200Mhz, 32Gig Mem 5600 DDR5, Asus AMD Radeon RX 6800, 1000W PSU, Windows 11 64bit, TrackIR 5 + Track clip pro, also TrackHat opentrack v3, Hotas Warthog + Viper TQS system & TRP rudder pedals.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 FAQ FORUM”