Can't get off the ground no matter what

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Can't get off the ground no matter what

Post by AbstractArtist »

This is unflyable due to me having it on the first of the month and not being able to get off the ground. The nose pitches up so fast that I can't counter act it and it drags the tail. I tried both Elevator trims both up and down and nothing. Please help!! I want to fly the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser. I have multiple times installed and uninstalled and still it happens where it pitches widly up after 80 knots.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Can't get off the ground no matter what

Post by TreeTops »

Sorry you are having trouble with the Strat, but very happy that you are giving it a go.
The usual behaviour of this airplane is for the wing to lift the main gear off the runway before the nose wheel due to its very large wing so it will need some back pressure on the yoke to lift the nose wheel first on takeoff. The same behaviour will occur when landing, where the nose wheel will likely touch before the main gear, unless you land at/very near stall speed.
It seems like there is some control issues occurring here. While on the ground and looking from behind the plane, move the controls around and watch what is happening with the elevator.
Trim will need to be set for take off.
Open the A2A B377 Input Configurator and check for elevator controls. Note : the input configurator will override the sim settings.
What sim are you using?
What payload did you have? Was it mostly towards the rear of the plane?
Cheers
Trev

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

I tried all the presets like heavy pax, heavy fuel and all combos of that and could never get the plane off the ground. Also it was near the back of the plane. Also as the plane leaves the ground the tail hits and stalls the aircraft out. I want to fly the 377 but it's a beast to get off the ground and I haven't succeed yet for not a lack of trying.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Just to be clear, you say you had the cargo loaded at the ‘back’ of the plane? This is exactly what will make the plane pitch up uncontrollably. Try taking off with no cargo and only half fuel.
Cheers
Trev

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

TreeTops wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 16:21 Just to be clear, you say you had the cargo loaded at the ‘back’ of the plane? This is exactly what will make the plane pitch up uncontrollably. Try taking off with no cargo and only half fuel.
I did use the presets for the pax and fuel and don't understand why it always the CG always goes to the back.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

The presets shouldn't result in a COG outside of acceptable limits.
Have you tried a takeoff with no passengers/cargo?
Cheers
Trev

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

TreeTops wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 05:58 The presets shouldn't result in a COG outside of acceptable limits.
No, going to try it now. I am using a saitek x45 hotas to fly it.

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

TreeTops wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 05:58 The presets shouldn't result in a COG outside of acceptable limits.
Just tried with no passengers/cargo and the nose went straight up in the air again with me having to push the nose down and nothing. I tried both trim settings to see if I can get the aircraft stable and no go. I won't give up. I know there is a way to fly it. I saw it on Youtube.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

What sim are you using?
Cheers
Trev

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

TreeTops wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 08:09 What sim are you using?
I am using FSX Steam Edition.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Trev is a great person to help you sort this out - he probably has the most hours in the 377 of anyone on the forum!

Something you may want to check if you are using hardware controls, is to ensure one of them isn’t linked to both the trim wheel and another unrelated function.

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

Jacques wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 11:53 Trev is a great person to help you sort this out - he probably has the most hours in the 377 of anyone on the forum!

Something you may want to check if you are using hardware controls, is to ensure one of them isn’t linked to both the trim wheel and another unrelated function.
Does Trev have discord?

andrewhb17
Airman

Post by andrewhb17 »

I got the same experienced as you man. I try everything between preset fuels, cargos, and passengers, but I got no luck as well. I also use the autopilot like inflight between altitude 1,000 to 5,000. Every time I use the autopilot, the aircraft itself decided to nose up. Same goes to during the takeoff run. I wonder if Scott or Lewis mention about the B377's behavior yet, but I want this aircraft to be fixed so I can able fly smoothly without having problems. I hope the developers will take a look at it and needed to be fixed or patch it up soon as possible.

I also posted about my problem of B377 from July 6th, 2022 if you want to check it out. :)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=73664
Last edited by andrewhb17 on 04 Aug 2022, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I think perhaps Jacques is overstating my hours in the B377 just a little. 😂

Perhaps the next thing to look at is the correct installation.
Describe how you installed the B377. (<<<posted at 3am :shock: ). I see now that there is only installer now. There used to be 3 back in the 'old' days.
Last edited by TreeTops on 04 Aug 2022, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Trev

AbstractArtist
Senior Airman

Post by AbstractArtist »

TreeTops wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 14:02 I think perhaps Jacques is overstating my hours in the B377 just a little. 😂

Perhaps the next thing to look at is the correct installation.
Describe how you installed the B377.
With the wos then Captain of the sky after I noticed I installed it wrong by looking in the forums.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”