(EDITED) What I May Be Doing Wrong? Or Maybe the B377 Itself Won't Stable While Inflight and During Takeoff

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
andrewhb17
Airman

(EDITED) What I May Be Doing Wrong? Or Maybe the B377 Itself Won't Stable While Inflight and During Takeoff

Post by andrewhb17 »

Posting this here to see if anyone can give me any pointers as to what I may be doing wrong! Thanks!

While trying to fly the B377, the plane keeps flying upwards when I try to center and stabilize it to cruise. I trimmed the aircraft elevator, tried resisting it from going upwards by pushing my joystick forward, recalibrated the HOTAS, uninstalled/installed the add-on again, and adjusted the fuel and weight management settings - all of which were unable to help.

I am unsure as to whether the issue is due to my technique or if there are any issues with the aircraft itself.

Would love to hear your guys' insight. :) :fsx:
Last edited by andrewhb17 on 04 Aug 2022, 12:48, edited 3 times in total.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Flying - Any Pointers As To What I May Be Doing Wrong?

Post by TreeTops »

Ignore that big crazy boxy fuselage we grow to love and just think about that great big wing for a moment. It is designed to carry a lot of weight in passengers and in particular fuel, at good speed up above the weather. More speed equals more lift.
So there are three factors at play here, weight, altitude and speed; and it would be helpful if you supplied that information.
In the cruise, your weight will determine how fast and/or how how high you fly. Your target is to get the plane to within 0 to +2 degrees of horizontal were it is at its most efficient.
If you are at a particular altitude you like and keep the power on, the speed will keep building and will require nose down trim to hold it down. The answer is in this case to reduce power until the pitch settles at about zero.
Cheers
Trev

andrewhb17
Airman

Post by andrewhb17 »

TreeTops wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 17:37 Ignore that big crazy boxy fuselage we grow to love and just think about that great big wing for a moment. It is designed to carry a lot of weight in passengers and in particular fuel, at good speed up above the weather. More speed equals more lift.
So there are three factors at play here, weight, altitude and speed; and it would be helpful if you supplied that information.
In the cruise, your weight will determine how fast and/or how how high you fly. Your target is to get the plane to within 0 to +2 degrees of horizontal were it is at its most efficient.
If you are at a particular altitude you like and keep the power on, the speed will keep building and will require nose down trim to hold it down. The answer is in this case to reduce power until the pitch settles at about zero.
Hmm, I think you’re right. I’ll give it a shot, thanks.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I always climb at least 500 feet above my cruise altitude and the use the decent to pick up speed, as I think she’s struggling a bit to accelerate in level flight.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

andrewhb17
Airman

Post by andrewhb17 »

Tomas Linnet wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 05:52 I always climb at least 500 feet above my cruise altitude and the use the decent to pick up speed, as I think she’s struggling a bit to accelerate in level flight.
Even I use the autopilot like hold altitude between around 10,000 or 15,000 feet once I got under control. But most of the time, the aircraft itself decided to fly vertical straight up so I disengage when every time that happen which is pretty strange. Sometimes it's does work for me, sometimes it's not. Have you tried that experience?

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”