Simulation Speed

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
mat10193
Airman Basic

Simulation Speed

Post by mat10193 »

Hello,

I was wondering if you can safely speed up the simulation rate without any forseen errors or problems. Im sorry if this question was asked before.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Simulation Speed

Post by Hook »

Generally, 4x is the maximum. This is in the A2A manuals. For non-A2A aircraft anything over 4x can sometimes cause problems.

Hook

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

With time accelerated I'm pretty sure fuel burn and engine hours will still reflect real time flown.

mat10193
Airman Basic

Post by mat10193 »

ok, which manual is that, i couldnt find the manual that has this info in it. what i am looking for is to speed up time when i do long flights to make them go by quicker. Will this cause issues with the captain of the ship addon because i know it had ambient events and even engine fires and things like that.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

You wont find anything in the manuals about speeding up time and its effect on the aircraft. It has been generally advised by A2A for all their aircraft that more than 4X speed will cause problems.
As previous mentioned, fuel usage and recorded engine hours etc will occur as if you were flying at normal speed.
So the question is, are you interested in such things or just burning your way through a flight to get it over and done with?
I tend to think flying long distance with A2A aircraft such as the B377 is like sailing, where its the journey, not so much the destination, which is the most enjoyable.
Slow done and smell the roses (or avgas). There is so much to do during the flight, taking all that away by speeding up the flight means you aren't getting your money's worth.
Cheers
Trev

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

TreeTops wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 21:48So the question is, are you interested in such things or just burning your way through a flight to get it over and done with?
I tend to think flying long distance with A2A aircraft such as the B377 is like sailing, where its the journey, not so much the destination, which is the most enjoyable.
Slow down and smell the roses (or avgas). There is so much to do during the flight, taking all that away by speeding up the flight means you aren't getting your money's worth.
One of the best explanations I've read. I may be quoting this elsewhere when appropriate, with credit to Trev.

The Stratocruiser manual doesn't mention time compression, but in other manuals under Quick Flying Tips you'll find:
"Using a Simulation Rate higher than 4X may cause odd system behavior."

Hook

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Thanks Hook. I omitted what I usually do in that post for some reason.
Normally I fill out a spreadsheet recording pretty much everything that can change, ie before start, before takeoff, mid climb, before level off, then every 30 mins during cruise, before descent, mid descent, Before shutdown.
I then collate each flight together in charts to compare things like oil consumption, fuel consumption etc. Mostly I do this from the last flight during the currently flight.
Then there is the opportunity to do sextant navigation and plotting on google earth in between spreadsheet recordings. This is all done with just flying over water or desert, otherwise its tuning upcoming nav stations to keep track of progress.
Then there is planning the next flight.
With all these things, I am full time occupied.
Cheers
Trev

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

If you look on the Shift-3 panel you'll find a button labeled "AFK" for Away From Keyboard. On that display you can set the simulation to pause on Emergency or Distance (determine the distance to fly to Top of Descent). By selecting these (I assume you can select both) you can set the autopilot and leave the computer to bypass the "boring" parts of the flight without affecting the sim.

Personally, I prefer to experience the entire flight, including the "boring" parts.

Hook

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I forgot to add, imagine if the B377 got the gauge tech from the Bonanza. Tapping all those gauges to make sure they are reading correctly. :twisted:
Cheers
Trev

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

TreeTops wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 05:32 With all these things, I am full time occupied.
I keep track of fuel consumption and monitor my engines. Over land I'm sequencing waypoints. And waiting for the next meal to see what's on the menu. "Roast beef sandwiches!? I thought this was a first class flight!"

And for the really hard core, you can avoid use of the autopilot and hand fly the whole way. :D This is my favorite way to keep busy on a long flight, and yes I've hand flown from San Francisco to Hawaii with a flight plan that was no more than departing on a specific heading and turning south two degrees every hour to follow a great circle route.

One of these flights got really interesting when I developed a pressurization failure and had to descend to lower altitude. At that point I didn't know if I had enough fuel to complete the flight. Since I had no flight plan entered into the sim I had to tune the VORs on each end of the island chain and hope I could pick one up as I neared my destination. On those flights I had only a vague idea of the winds aloft so it got interesting. The only magenta line was in the SkyVector.com charts and on Google Earth. Somehow I've always reached my destination, but during the flight you never quite know for sure. Short circuiting this by using time compression takes too much away from the experience.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”