Presidential Ferry

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Presidential Ferry

Post by FireRescue85 »

Hey Guys,

After taking a break from the 377 and becoming completely immersed in the L049, I've found myself wandering back to it. To get re familiar with the Strat, I flew a few short haul routes and then ended up making up my own little "mission" to fly, which turned out to be quick and surpisingly challenging. A few of the airports have relatively short runways so a near perfect approach and touchdown is needed to avoid overshooting. And given that the longest flight is only about an hour and a half, it was a nice change to do multiple short hauls and really focus on streamlining the descent, approach, and landing procedures.

So, the mission:

Aircraft: A2A B377 in Air Force One livery
Starting Location: Joint Base Andrews KADW
Time: 7:30
Weather: Real World current
Fuel: Light
Payload: Light
Flight Plan: Visual or IFR. Pilots choice

You are Captain of a Boeing 377 Stratocruiser known as Air Force One. Today you will flying the Presidential family, staff, and some visiting foreign dignitaries on a vacation sightseeing tour. The President has requested that the flight stop in a few of the popular affluent tourist locations to show the guests around. Starting at Joint Base Andrews (KADW), the first leg of the journey is the longest and will fly to Newport State Airport (KUUU). Use caution when landing, as it is an uncontrolled airport. After touring the Naval War College, Mansions, and famous historic district, the party reboards for our next segment. From Newport, its on to Nantucket Memorial Airport (KACK) for a day of relaxation among white sand beaches and picturesque seaside cedar shingled cottages. The last, and shortest, flight will have a departure time of just prior to sundown. A throwback to the vintage routes of the majestic clippers, the first family has requested a sunset dinner at the infamous Martha's Vineyard. Upon liftoff, head west into the setting sun and island hop like the flying boats of yesteryear. Touch down minutes later at KMVY, taxi to the gate and unload the Presidential tourists at their dinner destination.

Flight Routes:
KADW -> KUUU
KUUU -> KACK
KACK -> KMVY

**each leg should be their own flight, complete with loading/unloading after landing so it gets logged.**

This is a series of quick and easy flights I found surprisingly challenging, especially when there is short runways mixed with the rapidly changing weather of the Northeast Coast. If you guys are bored and looking for a fun way to kill a few hours, I recommend giving it a shot.

Also feel free to add/change/recommend any changes or improvements.

-Scott
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”