I Finally Got Her Flying!

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
Edmeister
Airman

I Finally Got Her Flying!

Post by Edmeister »

Hey Guys! I finally finished the pilot's manual. It really has helped in learning how to operate the B377. Not that I know everything
there is to know about flying it yet. It took me a week to get her off the ground. I'm still not proficient with the "cold and dark" start.
I have been using the auto start and the flight engineer. I could get one engine to turn over, and then it would quit. Getting familiar
with the popup menu has helped too. I went through the menus, when I got to the balance fuel menu, I realized there was no fuel in
the tanks. That could be one reason the engines wouldn't start. Also watching the flight video that one of our members made has helped
as well. I have only had the plane for two weeks. I am looking forward to learning more about the B377. Thanks to all of you who have
helped me with questions I have had. I still can't get the capture screenshot to work, but I will keep trying.
Thanks again, Edmeister :)

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: I Finally Got Her Flying!

Post by TreeTops »

Don't hold yourself back trying to preserve the engines initially. There is so much going on when you do it all yourself without the engineer, which I never use. Break the flight, particularly the takeoff, into stages, from setting takeoff power up to gear retract, I then set autopilot with a vs suitable for maintaining climb speed, then jump into the back and look after the engines, only jumping back into the front to adjust vs and heading as required.
Interestingly, it's the Guppy which has no turbos or pressurisation, which is the simpler to fly and I consider it a trainer before stepping up to the Strat with the added complexity of turbos and pressurisation. This allows for becoming accustomed to the operation of the aircraft in a simpler, and then more complex version. The guppy also operates up to 10000 feet so planning descents are easier.

Also, weight plays a huge part in how hard you have work the engines. The Guppy only has full or empty payload. Both planes have a huge amount of fuel capacity. I suggest you keep the plane lighter to start with which allows you to get up to climb speeds easier which makes toasting the engines less likely.
Cheers
Trev

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I completely agree with TreeTops...there is so much going on in this aircraft. You can spend literally years reading, learning, experimenting and fine tuning your engine settings, your flight profiles (climb, cruise, descent)...it’s just an amazing masterpiece. I’m on to P3D now, so I’m definitely not current anymore. But, I’ve kept all my documentation, notes, add-ons, checklists and timetables just in case they choose to bring her along to that platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edmeister
Airman

Post by Edmeister »

Thanks guys! I know I will have fun learning the B377. and thanks too, to A2A for making such an awesome plane. I own the B-17
with the ad on as well. Edmeister :)

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”