Attention COTS Pilots - Post Your Captain's Logs Here

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Attention COTS Pilots - Post Your Captain's Logs Here

Post by FAC257 »

Super short flight, but it did get result in the lowest cost per mile so far for me
FAC257

FlameOut
Staff Sergeant

Post by FlameOut »

Well, here is a post that I hope all of you do not have to make.

Now when did this all start to go bad for me?

It seemed like I had a sick passenger on one of my flights several months ago. I was away from the computer and had not used the AFK feature.
Oh crap, over the ocean and no place to land for hundreds and hundreds of miles! I got chewed out about it after I pulled up to the parking
stand and unloaded the passengers.

I also began to have all kinds of problems like blown turbos, pressurization failures, cabin heating problems, injured passengers despite
putting on the "fasten seat belt sign", rough landings and so on over many flights.

I admit that the airline " Fired" me [3] times over say the last 5 months or so. I was doing so good at getting back into good graces with
the airline, and Hedi....she actually began to be nice to me and talk to me. The F.O. congratulated me on several of my landings and so
forth.

Then I did a long flight where I had to "save" while at cruising altitude ( FL290 ). This was to get over the tops of local thunderstorms.
Some weeks later I restarted FSX at Friday Harbor in the AirTrike... gave her plenty of throttle ... where I thought the ol' Strat should
have been for about 40 inches of MP .... Bam .... blown engines... " Captain we have serious engine trouble "....
I put her down, pulled up to the gate to disembark the passengers and wham-o.

Well I never have been slapped in the face like this!

You gotta love this Accusim fellas!

Oh, I yelled " ... it was not a belly landing, here is a photo as proof...." while they dragged me off to the darkest of dungeons !

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Flameout, you can use a backup of your previous career flights :) (my documents/A2A/B377 and pick one of the latest Log.dat.bak and replace the normal log.dat with that old one ! )

Not sure if it is because of P3D or not but I, too, had a few bugs lately with the logs. Like one time last week, I didn't realized that I had not enough power to maintain pressurization during my descent, so Heidi complained and I was thinking "oops, the passengers probably didn't like it, my log is gonna hurt". So I made the most kiss-landing-esque kiss landing it was possible to kiss-land, resulting in a louder than usual round of applause and the copilot saying something in the lines "this is how you do it" iirc. So in the end the passengers made litteraly no comment - the space was blank :lol:

136h in, and I still have to experience a major failure or a VIP :? I might be too gentle with the engines
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Its actually good to explore the capabilities of accusim rather than just baby the aircraft along in the hope of not breaking it. I remember when I got the B-17 I did about 10 hours in it without anything happening and then I got really nasty with it. If you search you can find my recreation of the Memphis Belle landing, with 3 engines out and a stuck landing gear. These aircraft are amazing, if you are willing to explore what they are capable of.
Cheers
Trev

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

TreeTops wrote:Its actually good to explore the capabilities of accusim rather than just baby the aircraft along in the hope of not breaking it. I remember when I got the B-17 I did about 10 hours in it without anything happening and then I got really nasty with it. If you search you can find my recreation of the Memphis Belle landing, with 3 engines out and a stuck landing gear. These aircraft are amazing, if you are willing to explore what they are capable of.
My previous set of engines for the first 100hrs of my career has been cooked doing STOL flights in south africa to arctic south to north routes (with fuel stops on random sand strips the middle of the desert). Power take off by 50°C outside temps :twisted:

I changed my engines because at the end they drank as much oil as fuel, but they ran for more than 30hrs in "very poor" conditions without dying on me. I wish there was an "unlucky mode". I want to experience the thrill of losing one or two engines randomly in flight :mrgreen:

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

FlameOut,

I'm contemplating starting a flight log sub-section for end of career really ugly logs.
Your's could be the first one. :wink:
FAC257

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Oh boy. Well at least you can hit the reset button. If there only would be a reset button in real life :wink: :lol: :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

FlameOut
Staff Sergeant

Post by FlameOut »

If there only would be a reset button in real life
What you said.

FAC257, I'd be honored to be the first inductee :lol:

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

One time on approach to Honolulu Hawaii after a long flight from San Francisco I was feeling real good. The approach was going well, the speed was good and I was going right down to the runway like I was on rails. I got to the runway, pulled the power, flared and felt for the asphalt. I knew this one was going to be a greaser. But the airplane kept sinking and I kept wondering when the wheels were going to touch when I suddenly realized I forgot to put the gear down. It was the smoothest belly landing ever.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

DC3 wrote:It was the smoothest belly landing ever.
Hehe. Always look at the positive things. That's the spirit.

What did the passengers and the airline say though?! :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

DC3, at least you got to fly. On my tour of the south pacific back in Feb, I was all keen to go. Had the flight plan from Nadi, Fiji to Fua'amotu, Tonga which should have taken about 3 hours in the Guppy. Weather was good and a nice tail wind was expected. I was keen to get going because of a big cyclone out east was closing in and my plan was to get my flights in before the wind swung.
So I am steadily building hours in the engines since Brisbane and quite happy with myself. All ready, so its push the throttles forward and gather speed nicely with full loadout. 110 knots, pull back the yoke and no response. Madly wind the trim wheel and hard back on the yoke. Keep trimming and here come the nose up slightly with a slow lift off. Clearly not the desired outcome with hills looming. Smash. Complete wipeout. Reason - control lock. (insert head banging here). What a rookie mistake.
So after a complete overhaul, (those guys in Fiji work quick), I still made it by sun down into Tonga. I could have reset the dat file to the previous flight but that would have meant there were no repercussions for my actions.
Cheers
Trev

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Treetops, I am the same like you, I have started my career over a few times.... :D
p.s. The control lock, that is a good one. I haven't got there yet, but undoubtedly I will one day.

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

One time, I somehow opened the main door at FL300, 320TAS :lol: Heidi didn't really liked it and she found various ways to call me stupid till the end of the flight :roll:

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

I haven't had that many flight on the B377 do we need a certain number before we can post ? My log is rather humble.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Styggron wrote:I haven't had that many flight on the B377 do we need a certain number before we can post ? My log is rather humble.
Styggron,

You can post any log that you want.

One of the main ideas was to have a place to share what you guys were doing with your 377 COTS careers, without all of the rules and regulations of an organized virtual airline.

You can post good logs, bad logs, or funny logs. Logs with flight stories or just the logs. They are all equally appreciated.
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”