Captain of the Ship RELEASED

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Captain of the Ship RELEASED

Post by Gypsy Baron »

maubrenta wrote:
bigjuicyspider wrote:Absolutely brilliant Turbulence behavior!
+1
I've experienced a severe turbulence today. The sounds are really cool!
I had to make a missed approach at KMKE last evening and as I turned back onto
the downwind leg over the lake I hit some severe down/up-drafts that resulted in
"Captain, we have some injured passengers!"....It was really wicked.

I managed to put her down on that that approach and although my landing
sucked I got an attaboy for getting the plane down in a timely maner with
the injured passengers.

I, the captain, made two separate announcements apologizing for the events.

Paul

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

bigjuicyspider wrote:Absolutely brilliant Turbulence behavior! I was flying over the mountains with Active Sky on a remote machine. A look at the ASE map showed I was soon to be flying around the edge of some big thunderstorms. I put on the Seat Belt Sign, and about 5 minutes later, the cabin started bucking and shaking, and some of the most realistic sounds I've heard to date. The navigator reported heavy turbulence. I also have Ezcam to shake the pilots head in these situations and combined with the sounds and the A2A panel vibration it was just excellent.

This is really immersive!

BigJuicySpider,

Yes, I'm glad you noticed this. The cool thing about this turbulence behavior is never did we actually go out and say, "lets make turbulence behavior." This is where the physics and sound being brought together makes things like this just happen. I had the same reaction during development, when I hit the first major thunderstorm. The shakes, rattles, squeaks, etc. are all attached to the airframe so they always sound natural. You will also notice this behavior on all kinds of landings. There is a dynamic movement of the airframe on touchdowns and rolling.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

ssouchek
Airman

Post by ssouchek »

Guys.... This is just remarkable! Love this plane all over again!

signmanbob
Airman First Class

Post by signmanbob »

I'm really enjoying it also. I could never get this 377 off of the ground. Now I am starting to get a feel for it.
No one out there holds a candle to A2A. They are a class unto themselves 8)

Bob

bishop
Airman

Post by bishop »

Hi Scott - In the manual it states that fuel tanks 1 & 4 should always have higher fuel loads versus tanks 2 & 3. In the load manager, the light and medium fuel loadouts are backwards. Fuel tanks 1 & 4 have a lower fuel loadout versus 2 & 3. Which one is correct?

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

I've had my experiences with turbulences as well. :mrgreen:

I have practiced some landings in gusting conditions (20 kts) with Active Sky, Cumulus X combo. The vario was all over the place all the time. Unfortunately, just in the moment of the flare (vario at -150 fpm or so), the airplane literally got smashed down (I saw -500 fpm in the moment just a second or so later). That was quite a bang when the crate got slammed onto the deck, just to jump up again and slam down a second time! I'm not sure whether it is poor skills on my part (although I was trimmed for 110 kts with FS Force and MS Sidewinder FFB2) or a feature. The peasants in the back didn't really enjoy this. But in general I find landing much easier now with the corrected FM.

The reversers, however, are a real problem as it was described before! Using them means asking for trouble. I have 2x Saitek throttle quadrants side by side, but never had any problems so far. Want to blow up your engines? Just pull back the throttle levers, kick in the reversers (F1, then F2), go back to 0% thrust (F3) and then advance the throttle. The throttle gets stuck, causing rapidly changing throttle input, which kills the engines. Hitting F1 again after F3 doesn't seem to do anything, what could be the problem.

Andysim
Senior Airman

Post by Andysim »

Fantastic!. As always your aircraft screams of quality. I didnt buy the original as I had the B-17 and Spitfire, but your COTS upgrade convinced me to go ahead and get it. I was not dissapointed.

:lol: 8)

Thanks all!

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

Nico wrote: The throttle gets stuck, causing rapidly changing throttle input, which kills the engines. Hitting F1 again after F3 doesn't seem to do anything, what could be the problem.
I had similar problems with the throttle getting stuck closed. Someone suggested slightly increasing the throttle null zone by one notch. Had no problems since doing this.
ImageImage

Domarien
Senior Airman

Post by Domarien »

I had the throttle problem too. But I just don't hit f1 anymore. I press f3 until the throttles are above idle and then I move my hotas throttle. Had no problem since I do it like that.

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

bishop wrote:Hi Scott - In the manual it states that fuel tanks 1 & 4 should always have higher fuel loads versus tanks 2 & 3. In the load manager, the light and medium fuel loadouts are backwards. Fuel tanks 1 & 4 have a lower fuel loadout versus 2 & 3. Which one is correct?
If I remember correctly, the gauges for 2 & 3 appear to be higher, but if you read the numbers off the gauges they are actually a little lower than 1 & 4. That's because 1 & 4 hold more fuel, so the scale of the gauges are different.

The only quick reference I have without launching FSX is a screenshot of the FE panel during a climb. I had a light fuel load as far as I remember. 1 & 4 are showing 5500 lbs each, whereas 3 & 4 are showing 5300 lbs.

mos2net
Senior Airman

Post by mos2net »

Domarien wrote:I had the throttle problem too. But I just don't hit f1 anymore. I press f3 until the throttles are above idle and then I move my hotas throttle. Had no problem since I do it like that.
I have the, Thrustmaster "HOTAS" cougar, (and some SAITEK Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant + Rudder Pedal/s) and still have the problem, no matter what I do. :wink:

mos :roll:

PS: When I go into "reverse" :?:

Andysim
Senior Airman

Post by Andysim »

i also got stuck in reverse, any attempt to add power just resulted in rapid throttle movment to ful and back. Im using the TM Warthog Throttle. Going to try some deadzone and will let you know.

Or just not use reverse =)

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

It didn't help. In fact, when I stop after landing I lose Heidi and all passengers and cargo. Heidi says bye and is gone....on the runway.

jahman
Senior Airman

Post by jahman »

I just don't user reverse (wheel brakes are good enough) but I would love to be able to use the reverse zones on my CH Throttle Quadrant to engage reverse pitch.

Cheers,

- jahman.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Hey guys, instead of continuing this thread here, why don't you try looking in the B377 forum for all of this? There is even a thread that shows how to setup your CH Throttle quadrant with FSUIPC to use the lower detent to select and deselect thrust reverse.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”