Captain of the Ship RELEASED

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
JamesChams
Airman First Class

Re: Captain of the Ship RELEASED

Post by JamesChams »

Jigsaw wrote:I only flew ... other than slightly overshooting the end of the runway on my last landing. The approach was too fast when I kept her on the ILS glideslope. Next time I will have to try a higher pitch angle and more power to maintain the proper approach peed.
Mr. Patrick "Jigsaw,"
Perhaps I can suggest something that should help you here... as over pitching will induce a stall and reduce forward visibility and un-necessary "jocking" of the throttle will hinder your attempts to maintain glideslope and may result in faster than normal approach speeds.

So this is what pilots actually do:
On any landing (Slow flight) we reverse our norms with the use of stick and throttle; its refered to "Slow flight rules." In normal flight, power (throttle) is used for speed and pitch (yoke/stick) is used for altitude. In slow flight these are reversed; so that pitch is use to maintain airspeed and power is used for altitude. Seems illogical but its actually what we do. So, ...
1. ... from your V-speeds charts, for the aircraft's weight & flap settings, you want to trim your aircraft's pitch to main a certain airspeed. So if your aiming for say, 120 KIAS, you want to trim the aircraft so that it neither decends or climbs without your inputs (hands-off). Try this in the default Cessna for practise since its harder in the B377.
2. ... then Pull the power back slightly and allow the nose to drop and give you a decent rate of:-
--- for precision approaches (ILS) NOT more than 500FPM
--- for non-precision approaches its 800FPM
Your aircraft will then automatically want to maintain the airspeed/pitch setting it is configured for. (Note: modern jets like to drop somewhere between 500-1000FPM for these approaches but, if your dropping out at 1000FPM like modern day jet you'll land hard and unnecessarily stress the aircraft/passengers). :oops:
3. ... Finally, once established, you shouldn't need to jocky the throttle or pull/push on the yoke/stick until the *flare stage" of the landing to arrest the decent and touch down softly on the touchdown markers and with plenty of room on the runway. 8)

The trick here is establishing control ahead of the aircraft and placing it into the configuration you want it to be in instead of playing "catch-up" behind it. It takes practise and these proceedure are there to help you with that. This is just a general outline of what is done. Here is an example of me doing it while explaining it to my passengers: Flight with JFC-3
Notice, I'm not having to make great changes in the pitch/power right down to when I had to flare it. There was a bit of a crosswind which I was banking into. Combating that is all you should need to do to keep it aligned on the centerline. The rest was completely setup before hand.

You can make it look as easy as I did; Good Luck! :wink:
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,

from,
James F. Chams

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Thank you writing all that, but I already knew that and that's how I always fly when the conditions are normal. I believe after 25 years of flight simming I know how to land an aircraft. The landing I was refering to was not normal, though. In this case it was very short runway, in fact almost too short for the B377. The ILS glide path was too steep for the aircraft/runway length combination and I would have needed to apply a non-standard approach to make it work successfully. That's called bush flying. I'm aware of the danger of stalls either, thank you very much. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

331BK
Airman Basic

Post by 331BK »

Hy Toghether,

thank you very much for the captain of the ship it`s great fantastic.

Hoppfuly sometime you provide the accusim feature also to newer planes like 707 or 747 it will make flying in fsx a lot more realistic.

thank you very very much again.

Spitfire76
Senior Airman

Post by Spitfire76 »

And of course, I no longer have FSX. Damn and blast!!
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87-DS3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
RAM: 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
Sound: Audigy 4
O/S: Windows 10
PSU: Corsair TX650v2

AKA Stuffy7634

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

Spitfire76 wrote:And of course, I no longer have FSX. Damn and blast!!
Scott posted a link to a downloadable version here:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=30445

$30 will get you the gold edition. It's quite a big download though, check the bargain shelf at your local games store I bet you can find it for less.
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”