Compliments and Paintkit

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
CBris
Senior Airman

Compliments and Paintkit

Post by CBris »

Tales from "EagleSkinner's most Embarrassing Moments"

Hi guys, I have finally found the muse to take a look at the 377 - my normal flying precludes this beast because there are three engines too many and flying tubes is wayyy beyond my capability or interest level :lol:

I knew I'd have some form of learning curve as this is only my second Accusim (The Cub being #1), but heyyyy... first of all, there I am sitting at the engineers panel, chin on the desk, drool in the keyboard, and that annoying numty in the right hand seat complains that he can't see out of the windows ("Stop breathing then, damn you!" was my first remark)... PoH... leaf, leaf, leaf... AHA! the defogger is on the auxiliary panel...

...and so it goes on.

Bremerton National

Slowly losing patience, but I had read that 25° flaps was OK - what? That many clicks on my flaps button??

Buggrit, buggrem, millenium hand and shrimp - throttles up! Whoa - damn! You can push this into the "pop, splutter, bang, deadstick zone!"

Reset flight

Throttles gently forwards. Hmmm that gate on the Saitek X52 gets in the way... "We're rolling" - "Hey thanks, numbnuts, I can see that, now why don't you take your foot of the right pedal so's I can keep this thing straight!" Buggrit, buggrem, millenium hand and shrimp Damn! way of the runway and all the guy on the right can say is "Number three is running a bit warm" and "Eighty"....

Reset flight

Throttles gently forwards. Feet on the rudders. Darn!!! Bremerton is not really long enough - the end of the runway is getting awfully near "One hundred, rotate"
Thank the lord for that, Ease back on the stick. "We're stalling" in my right ear...

Reset flight

More reading

Throttles gently forwards. Feet on the rudders. Darn!!! Bremerton is just long enough but remember not to crash...

(In all this, I have also been experiencing the novelty of sitting in the back seat and twiddling with all sorts of NEW things)

"The cowl flaps have jammed open" Yeah? So what... keep flying... Damn! There's so much drag there "We're stalling"

Reset flight

The EagleSkinner now has a split-squared personality and is considering treatment in one of those hospitals with comfy cells where banging you're head is like head-butting treacle...

I'll keep you posted...

Now... on to the paintkit

Seriously A2A, I am impressed! And yet I must raise a finger and ask a question and/or comment or two that may have been answered already...

I note with pleasure that you/someone/whoever created the PSD textures in at least 2048 square format - this is one excellent paintkit, but I am not surprised at seeing various comments here along the lines of "Why aren't there any or many repaints for this old lady" - I think you've created a Sophia Loren or Joan Collins here, A2A. Beautiful still, despite the age and make-up but you aren't going to find too many painters with the patience and skill to do what Sophia or Joan's personal plasterers do every day... ;)

OK, So I am looking at the Airbus Super Guppy (although that was the turbo-prop powered variant) because this is the closest possible model to it. But even I am daunted by the amount of foundation cream and polyfilla that's going to be needed - that really is one helluva paintkit there.

My verdict so far?

I am glad I have acquired this monster! Despite the fact that there are too many engines and I need to be of four minds about flying her, I really enjoyed my two dozen "reset flights" so far.

My only regret

The pdf handbooks aren't in 8" by 4" format for me to print and trim for the "Flight Crew Check List" book I won a few years ago for flying 125 miles and landing only three seconds off forecast in a single engined plane. This is really the first FS Plane I really NEED the printed check lists for!
Chris Brisland, aka 'Dances with paintbrushes', aka EagleSkinner

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Re: Compliments and Paintkit

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Check your weights before take-off Chris, the 377 comes in heavy and you will need to dump either fuel or pax to get airborne. In real life it was the same way, you could have full fuel OR full pax but not both.

If you are using the British crew you will unfortunately get a lot of nagging from me from the back seat until you get used to it, sorry about that! :wink: :lol:

On a long flight you may well run out of engine oil before you run out of fuel too!

p.s. Judging by some of your comments we are fans of the same science fantasy author too!
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

CBris
Senior Airman

Post by CBris »

Tako_Kichi wrote:...
p.s. Judging by some of your comments we are fans of the same science fantasy author too!
Indeed! The B377 flies like a well-fed turtle.

N1684T
Staff Sergeant

Post by N1684T »

Does the First Officer say "We're Rolling"? I have never got that saying at all, the first words I hear are 50 knots. I selected British speech in the loading of Accusim and SP1. Maybe thats the reason.

Mark S.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress-Accusimed/Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-COTS/ Piper Cub-Accusimed/Cessna 172 Trainer/Piper Cherokee 180/T-6 "TEXAN"/Constellation L049

CBris
Senior Airman

Post by CBris »

Yes he does - I have the UK crew voices too.

N1684T
Staff Sergeant

Post by N1684T »

Found out what was happening Chris, most of the time on take-off I do not set the parking brake and run up the engines. That did it, and the annoucement was made by the first officer.

Mark S.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress-Accusimed/Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-COTS/ Piper Cub-Accusimed/Cessna 172 Trainer/Piper Cherokee 180/T-6 "TEXAN"/Constellation L049

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”