A2AB377 thoughts

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: A2AB377 thoughts

Post by CodyValkyrie »

While transferring the file itself might be questionable, I see no reason why posting your .cfg results would be a problem. I'm sure Scott and the rest of the crew wouldn't mind for those specific parts edited.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

lonewulf47 wrote:
Fodda wrote: Ooooh! That sounds like a great idea. How did you do this? Could you post the details of the changes so that I can paste them in my files please? I especially like the Nav looking straight up at the overhead as I've already feathered props unintentionally by not counting switches absolutely correctly.
Well, I haven't changed the cam positions yet. Still experimenting for the best position each time. So for the moment it's just a fiddling around quite a bit after first start-up of the B377. Of course the positions are lost at next startup.

And there's another thought: I'm not sure whether I would be allowed to publish such figures as they represent a change in a copyrighted file. 8) So as soon as I have them I will contact the people here again. I don't intend to do anything illegal. However maybe publishing the figures would be less illegal than publishing a copy of the changed file of course :roll: . I'll see then.

Oskar
If you are talking about "Camera_Definition" changes, that shouldn't be a problem.
They are located in the aircraft.cfg file which, by nature, is designed to be modified.

I have custom camera definitions for all the aircraft I fly tweaked to give the best
'view' of the VC areas that contain essential controls, etc.

usually this is left seat, right seat, overhead and throttle quadrant but can vary
from aircraft to aircraft. I go a step further and assign 'hot keys' to the 4 main
camera views and then map those hot keys to the #2 POV hat on my X-45 stick.
This allows me to instantly 'move' from one position to another with a flick of my thumb.

I also use TrackIR4 so my camera definitions are 'tweaked' for my 'normal' head
position which I find would be different without TIR4.

In the 377 I have changed the initial angles, horizontal and vertical, of the FE
and NAV station cameras. In the case of the FE, I can look left and up at the
overhead panel containing the magnetos and starters as well as look right
all the way over to the volt/amp meter and cabin altitude controls.

The NAV camera is set to look 'face on' the radios and a slight look down
and to the left lets me click on the map, however I find it more practical to
move to the right seat, look over my left shoulder and click on the map.
I can then keep the map open while adjusting my course with the autopilot
slew handle.

Likewise, from the left seat I can look over my right shoulder and scan the
FE panel to check the engine status without having to move to the FE seat.

The combination of custom camera definitons and TrackIR makes the above
possible.

I am currently 2500 miles away from my sim computer so I can't give any
specific camera setup data kuntil I get home sometime Thursday night.

The FSX controls menu will allow you to assign keys or stick buttons to,
I believe, 6 views. So one could have 6 seperate camera definitions selected
via a hot key in the FSX controls menu. The "Hot_Key=" statement is added
in each of the camera definition sections. So any unused stick/throttle switches
or buttons or POV hats can be set to instantly select a particular camera view.

Paul

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

@Fodda:

Ok, here are the basics fro my "private views". Unfortunately you can't change the pilot's left seat standard VC view, unless you alter the viewpoint coordinates, but this would influence all of the following views again and furthermore you can't set a viewing angle. So the captain's view will always be straight ahead and not showing (at least with my default settings) any of the instruments.... The reason for altering the sights to new fixed positions is that I can still swivel around and go back to my "fixed" views by pressing Ctrl+Space.

Let's do it step by step inorder to keep things simple and straight:

1. Go to the directory of your B377 .....\Flight Simulator X\Sim Objects\Airplanes\WoS_B377. There are actually two of them, one being the Pregnant Guppy. Just in case to have those views also for the Guppy you will have to do the same procedure there.

2. Look for the aircraft.cfg

3. Make a copy of the aircraft.cfg. The easiest way to do it is to mark the file, press Ctrl-C and then Ctrl-V and a copy will be made in the same directory named Copy of..... .

4. Open the original aircraft.cfg with a simple editor program. The normal MS editor is fine for that.

5. Look for the title [CameraDefinition.001]

6. Alter the last two lines to the following:
InitialXyz=0.49, -0.20, 0.15
InitialPbh=90, 0, 0

7. Set in the same section (about 9 lines above) the value for InitialZoom = 1.0
This will give you the view to the radios.

8. Look for the title [CameraDefinition.002]

9. Alter the last two lines to the following:
InitialXyz=0.0, -0.02, -1.04
InitialPbh=0, 0, 90

10. Set in the same section the value for InitialZoom = 0.8
This will give you the view to the FE-Panel

11. Look for the title [CameraDefinition.003]

12. Alter the last two lines to the following:
InitialXyz=0.52, -0.3, -0.03
InitialPbh=-90, 0, 0

13.Set in the same section the value for InitialZoom = 0.6
This will give you the view to the Fire Panel

These settings provide me with the described views exactly on the center screen of my TH2GO setup. You just toggle as usual using "A" through the views. I presume it will work also on single screen setups. However I have no proof of that and of course do not take any responsibility for false views. Whatever happens while experimenting to go back to the original state just delete the aircraft.cfg and rename the previously made copy to aircraft.cfg again. That way no harm can be done. Just in case you need some fine tuning here's the meaning of the values:

InitialXyz: first value = left/right, second value = up/down, third value = forward/backwards, not sure about the units, looks to me like yards or meters
InitialPbh: first value = tilt up/down, second value = bank left/right, third value = turn left/right, values in degrees °

The easiest way to do some experimenting is to use FSX in Windowed Mode and have the editor with the aircraft.cfg open. That way you can do a small change, save the file and just reload the A/C and the changes will show up immediately :D It's as easy as that.......

Happy experimenting :D

Oskar

p.s. For my personal taste I have added an (additional) Captains View. It will show up after the initial view and before the Copilot's View. In case you wish to try just copy and paste the following in front of [CameraDefinition.001]

[CameraDefinition.000]
Title = "Captain"
Guid = {B3CB5E9C-EC56-426c-A583-C760a4DCfB10}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = YES
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.9
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=TRUE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=100
HeadingPanRate=100
InitialXyz=0.16, -0.04, -0.21
InitialPbh=9, 0, 0

This view gives me a perfect sight to the main flying instruments including the most important engine gauges.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Fodda
Airman First Class

Post by Fodda »

lonewulf

That's all amazing. Unfortunately I've been on the phone with family all evening (I say unfortunately, but I love talking to them) so I've not been able to try your suggestions yet.

Thanks very much mate. I've got a very wet weekend to look forward to here in the UK so I can see my continuation flight from Wake to Guam and Manila (Saigon and finally Singapore) being doable over the next few days.

I use TackIR Pro so the pilot view has never been a problem except for craning my neck to try and see the overhead switch line. With the Nav position moved to make that more accessible, you've made flying to the book a whole lot easier.

I look forward to giving it a whirl tomorrow.

Again many thanks. :D :D

Fodda
Airman First Class

Post by Fodda »

lonewulf

Thanks again. I've been playing around with the VC viewpoints following your excellent post above and now have what I consider the perfect viewpoints for me using TrackIR. I originally set up exactly as you posted including the new "Captain" view, and although an excellent set of views, they weren't quite what I was looking for.

However your superb notes allowed me to tinker away and I've got all the views now as I want them. I've kept the default views pretty much as they were, but I've zoomed in most of them. I like flying the left hand seat at zoom level 1.00 for realism. Co-pilot, FE and Nav I've brought in to about 0.7.

I used your extra "Captain" view to give me the Fire Panel view which was what I was after. Now I can look at the fire panel and know exactly what switch I'm throwing and for which engine. I fine tuned the position as well to get all the switches in view (InitialXyz=0.5, -0.3, -0.03 instead of InitialXyz=0.52, -0.3, -0.03), and with TrackIR I now tilt my head back and forward to get the whole overhead available. Great for the battery and masters too.

You sir are a star. I've made plenty of cabviews for MS Tain Sim so know about eyepoint coordinates, but never knew where they were or how to alter them in FS. Now I know.

Now to take the Pac Div MATS repaint by Sean out of Wake... It's absolutely pouring with rain there and 30 degrees C!!! Should make for an interesting take-off!

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Fodda

Good to hear that everything worked out well finally :D . Of course I mentioned that the coordinates I used were for a setup of a TH2GO with three 1280 x 1024 screens (in total 3840 X 1024), but I forgot to tell that I use the 'WideViewAspect=True' option in my FSX.CFG which alters the zoom effects considerably. But I see that you got it working anyway 8) . I'm still not sure about using TrackIR as I wear corrective glasses with some astigmatism correction. This limits my view angle somewhat with regard to the optimum focus. I tried it some two years ago with a conventional screen and by then I was quite disappointed because of my limited focus angle. But maybe with the wide angle of the TH2GO setup it might work out better. Well, there's still something to find out....

Oskar
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Fodda
Airman First Class

Post by Fodda »

Oskar

I find I can't fly without TrackIR any more which rather limits my FS9 and FSX flying to planes with VCs unfortunately. LOL... I can't even race in GTL and GTR2 for exactly the same reason. It's adictive.

I can see how it might be awkward for you though. But with the TH2G setup you can probably see a fair amount of cockpit anyway.

If you get the chance give it a whirl to see about it using the three monitors.

BUT... If you're handy with your hands and can use a soldering iron, there is an incredibly cheap way of getting a TackIR style 6DOF head tracking system using parts from a cheap webcam, some sticky-back-plastic (Brits will understand) and the instructions and free software from this site: http://www.free-track.net/english/

Well I managed my flight to Guam... The co-pilot praised my landing though... Even as we were veering off the runway onto the grass edging due to an unfortunate side wind... :oops: But we taxied to parking. Next stop Manilla.

mazman629
Airman

Post by mazman629 »

Back on page 1 of this thread I asked a question about default size and how to changing distance in outside view with the 377 and P-40.

For reference, two screenshots of aircraft of nearly identical dimensions, A2A's 109 and P-40 in the same outside view.

Because I had "goofed" a repaint of my Flight 1's PC-12 and ended up with a "micro plane" I assumed it had something to do with textures...

Looking further into what I had thought was my goof with Flight 1's PC-12 repaint, I realized I had used their cargo model file (model.crgo) and it was the model file that creates the "micro affect"... and has nothing to do with textures or a simple setting in a cfg file.

This makes easily changing the outside view to fit "my personal preference" beyond my ability. Recompiling the .MDL file is way over my head!!! I certainly DO NOT expect A2A to alter the .MDL just to fit my personal tastes.

At least now I have an idea of cause and effect and won't be losing anymore valuable flying time trying to fix what isn't broke :D
If it wasn't for flight sims, we wouldn't need electricity!!!

Andydigital
Airman First Class

Post by Andydigital »

It's not smaller, its the camera view point that is further away. I already told you how to move it closer. Hold CTRL and + or - to move the camera closer to the plane. Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?
cheers,
Andy

mazman629
Airman

Post by mazman629 »

Andydigital wrote:It's not smaller, its the camera view point that is further away. I already told you how to move it closer. Hold CTRL and + or - to move the camera closer to the plane. Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?
Wrong stick Andy :wink: That's what I tried to point out, look at the relationship of the wingspan to the marks on the runway, the plane appear the same size, but the initial view is so far away from the P-40. Zoom in both is 1.00.

Basic outside view (S key), it can be zoomed in and out using + & -, but the more you zoom in, the more the detail of the terrain looks distorted, the depth is lost. The 377 looks good to me at 1.5 zoom, but the P-40 requires 3.00 zoom to appreciate the detail of the plane.

What I did find is in FSX.cfg I have my WideViewAspect=True (22" wides screen monitor)
I changed that to WideViewAspect=False which helped considerably.

There are so many variables in FSX, I can only imagine what developers like A2A go through trying to create something that will work satisfactory for all with such a wide variety of hardware, OS versions, etc. Now with the trend towards wide screen monitors, it throws yet another issue to overcome.

BTW, the 377 fits great with WideViewAspect=False

Andydigital
Airman First Class

Post by Andydigital »

I'll say it again the plane is exactly the same size in both shots (the sun or plane is in a slightly different place hence the different shadows), its just that the camera location is further away. Please try and hold the "CTRL" key down at the same time as the "-" key, keep them held down for more than a couple of seconds and you will see the camera walk closer or further away. I can never remember which key goes in which direction, but do please hold CTRL and + or - at the same time for a while.
cheers,
Andy

mazman629
Airman

Post by mazman629 »

Andy, you're correct, that does work. Thanks. The poor P-40 has been pretty much "left in the hanger". Now I'll be able to enjoy it. Your way also leaves the terrain in proper prospective.

It's a good day if you learn something new, today was a good day :!:

Andydigital
Airman First Class

Post by Andydigital »

Thank goodness for that, I'm glad you got it sorted. I thought I was going crazy there for a while :lol:
cheers,
Andy

locmar
Airman

Post by locmar »

I was reading the story of "The Mystery of the Lost Clipper" and one of the possible reasons the "Romace of the Skies" crashed was a runaway,or "overspeeding" propeller that could not be feathered. One Pan Am pilot likened the sound to
"the cry of a thousand banshees". Since an air worthiness directive wasn't issued till early 1957 to fix the runaway propeller issue, and our Startocruiser is of an early design, any chance this could be modeled into the aircraft? :?:

Mister-Knister
Airman

Post by Mister-Knister »

will be solved in the patch.

A week or two.

regards
ROB
Good evening :)

Is there already an exact date for the patch? :P

I can hardly wait for it! :wink:

This bird is so amazing... :!: