Fuel System Clarification required....

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Fuel System Clarification required....

Post by lonewulf47 »

First of all I would like to express my congratulations to all involved in that marvelous artpiece for FSX. It gives SimFlying a completely new dimension :D

After several flight hours one thing (besides the Landing System - ILS - Indicator) came to my attention where I end up a bit puzzled :shock: . The fuel system does not behave at all as expected. Unfortunately there's no schematics to depict the whole system.

Firstly I tried to correct a too high quantity from tank #1 as per description in the handbook. It calls to set the tankselector of the tank with the (to be corrected = higher) amount to "tank to engine" plus the adjacent boost pump switch to "ON".
All other tankswitches to "manifold to engine" and boost pumps off.

Here's what happens:
Tanks #1, #2 and #3 continue to be emptied whereas tank #4 (!) quantity remains stable!! My strong guess is that there's something not very kosher going on here.

Its difficult to say something off-hands as long as I don't have a proper schematic on hand but at least to my understanding it should also be possible to set all tank switches to "manifold to engine" and have all engines fed by ONE tank by just switchig ONE boost pump on. But clearly the above mentioned behaviour can't be correct as it is contradictory to what your handbook says.

Oskar

ryr755
Airman

Post by ryr755 »

Hi!

I've got the same problem and didn't find a solution.

regards
Julius

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

1. The main rule is to drain the inner tanks first: Center then No2 and No3 then No1 and No4. This will stabilize our aircraft.

2. The second rule is the symetry. Addnional sub-rule - is for someone who wants to follow the procedures - is to connect only two engines to the Manifold at a time.

3. Engine fuel selector in position "TANK TO ENG" feeds the engine from its tank.

4. Engine fuel selector in position "MAN TO ENG" feeds the engine from manifold.

5. The Manifold consists of all tanks - all tanks create the Manifold. Manifold is drained in this order: Center then No2 and No3 then No1 and No4.

Settings:

1. All tanks are full:
a. Connect No1 and No4 to Manifold (MAN TO ENG) to drain the Center tank.
b. Connect No2 and No3 to their tanks accordingly (TANK TO ENG) to drain Inner tanks.

2. Center tank is empty:
a. Connect No1 and No4 to Manifold (MAN TO ENG) to drain the Inner tanks.
b. Connect No2 and No3 to their tanks accordingly (TANK TO ENG) to drain Inner tanks.

3. Inner tanks are empty:
a. Connect No1 and No4 to their tanks (TANK TO ENG) to drain the Outer tanks.
b. Connect No2 and No3 to Manifold (MAN TO ENG) to drain the Outer tanks.

This example covers all the possible proper configurations / situations. A proper configuration is when you fill your tanks in this order: No1 and No4, No2 and N3 and Center.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

ryr755
Airman

Post by ryr755 »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply :)

regards
Julius

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

BTW, if you run into any issues with engine 4, make sure the engine start-up selector is set to OFF/NONE.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Rob, sorry when I appear to be a bit picky and annoying :oops: but I can't come to the same conclusions that you gave in your reply. According to your answer I tried to depict the fuel systematics and I'm quite sure that I got it more or less right. At least it would reflect exactly the behaviour that you described.

Now let me tell you what I found:

Tank #1 -> MAN TO ENG Boost OFF
Tank #2 -> TANK TO ENG Boost ON
Tank #3 -> TANK TO ENG Boost ON
Tank #4 -> MAN TO ENG Boost OFF

This drains tanks #2 and #3 according to your description and also accoding to my "personal" systematics.

After emptying tanks #2 and #3 to around 2000 lbs I decided to empty to the outer tanks inorder to have more or less equal quantity in each tank for finals (all tank TANK TO ENG).

So I reversed the above prodcedure, which means:

Tank #1 -> TANK TO ENG Boost ON
Tank #2 -> MAN TO ENG Boost OFF
Tank #3 -> MAN TO ENG Boost OFF
Tank #4 -> TANK TO ENG Boost ON

Now according to my understanding this should draw fuel from the outer (#1 and #4) tanks only. In fact I found that fuel is drawn from ALL tanks in this configuration. So I'm still puzzled :shock: :D

Am I still completely wrong?

Oskar

SpeedbirdBOAC
Senior Airman

Post by SpeedbirdBOAC »

I think what Rob was saying earlier is that the TANK TO ENG selection drains fuel from just that tank.

However, MAN TO ENG is going to drain fuel from ALL tanks in order of center, inner, outer.

In your second setup, if my understanding is correct, Tanks 1 and 2 are going to be drained because the selector is on TANK TO ENG, but tanks 2 and 3 are also going to be drained because the MAN TO ENG selection is going to drain inner, then outer, tanks. Therefore, all tanks are being drained in this setup.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

@SpeedbirdBOAC: Yes, that's right

@lonewulf47:
Well, not. #2 and #3 is connected to the Manifold and, in this situation, when the tanks 2 and 3 are not empty, these tanks are the current Manifold tanks:

"Manifold is drained in this order: Center then No2 and No3 then No1 and No4. "

So, engines 1 and 4 drink directly from their tanks and engines 2 and 3 drink from their tanks indirectly (through manifold).

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

And how do I drain tanks #1 and #4 only after having almost emptied tanks #2 and #3? As per your explanation up to now I don't see any possiblilty for that. For Apch and Landing I need remaining fuel in all tanks as I need to set TANK TO ENG for all four tanks (engines).

So you see, there's a slight inconsistency in your explanations. The emptying sequence is in my view not automatic but a static issue as on all large transports. I can'tbelieve that tanks #2 and #3 are emptied completely. Butr according to your explanation they would. Even more so as they contain less fuel than the outer tanks.

I wish I could see a genuine diagram to understand the fuel system completely.

Still puzzled :shock:

Oskar

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Fill all four main fuel tanks at the same capacity (outer tanks shoud be greater or equal inner tanks, never less) and set fuel selectors to "TANK TO ENG".

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

ROB - A2A wrote:Fill all four main fuel tanks at the same capacity (outer tanks shoud be greater or equal inner tanks, never less) and set fuel selectors to "TANK TO ENG".

regards
ROB
You don't REALLY mean that, do you? 8) :D

Oskar

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Anyway thank you for the discussion. I will come back as soon as I get hold of a genuine fuel system diagram ... maybe in a few years or so :D

Oskar

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

lonewulf47 wrote:Anyway thank you for the discussion. I will come back as soon as I get hold of a genuine fuel system diagram ... maybe in a few years or so :D

Oskar
The fuel system is diagrammed in the B377 manual, of course (the real manual, not ours) and it is much more complex than FSX will allow. But Rob has set this up so it gives pretty much the same behaviour as the real aircraft for all practical purposes.

Unless something has changed in the coding since I last was involved, to clarify, when you are setting to manifold, the CENTER tank will empty first, then the the left/right inboard tanks will drain simultaneously, and then the left/right outboard tanks will drain simultaneously. Again, the pairs of wing tanks feed together, as pairs, after the CENTER tank is empty. This keeps the plane in balance. This is the default FS/X fuel feed scheme and differs from the actual aircraft. With the real thing, MANIFOLD will actually drain from all tanks at the same time, that is, ALL tanks feed the manifold, and then the manifold feeds the engines which are switched to MANIFOLD. However, this exact behaviour is not duplicated in the sim. What the sim does is to manage the fuel feed to ensure the plane remains balanced, and the end result is the same; you will be pulling from the entire fuel supply on board the aircraft when you select MANIFOLD for any given engine.

On the real aircraft, each fuel selector has five positions: you can feed directly from the tank to the engine, from the tank AND manifold to the selected engine, from the tank just to the manifold (for a situation where that tank's engine has been feathered, for example, or where an imbalance is present), from the manifold to the engine, or OFF. We have not duplicated "tank to manifold" or "tank and manifold to engine". But the fuel management allows about the same result and degree of flexibility as the real plane. If you feather an engine, that engine's tank is going to feed the manifold by default anyway, assuming you select MANIFOLD for one or more of the remaining engines. So you don't lose the availability of the fuel in that tank. The default FS coding is a proxy for the missing selector positions.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

SD hit the nail on the head.... however would like to add a little as I created the guide regarding the fuel system in the manual. As SD described, it is not exact. Therefore, we created the most accurate emulation of how the system works. This required me to spend many hours looking at the fuel knobs and fuel gauges to ensure proper movement/flow on the gauges to write correctly in the manual how the system operates.

As suggested, the fuel will drain from the center tank first. In fuel balancing, it is not a transfer act as some might suspect. The tanks do not physically transfer fuel from one tank to another, and in fact the 377 inhibits this operation in the real world for safety reasons. There is no in flight fuel transfer.

There is however, a fuel balancing act that can be performed to ensure proper balance in the fuel tanks. It takes time. The diagrams provided work perfectly, but a few things must be kept in mind.

1) When fuel balancing, the center pump and valve should be closed.

2) The tank that needs balanced (the one with the most fuel) must have the fuel pump on and the selector set to TANK TO ENG.

3) The remaining fuel boost switches should be off and the selectors set to MAN TO ENG.

Fuel will continue to be consumed at a slow rate from the center tank (if there is fuel in it), however... fuel will also be consumed from the tank to be balanced.

In the example provided at the beginning of this thread, I replicated the results exactly. Please note that I am running with the latest updates on the 377 (for testing), however the fuel system has not had a change made to it at this point.

I set number one fuel selector to TANK TO ENG with boost pump on. All other boost pumps are off and the selectors are set to MAN TO ENG as described in the manual. After a minute or so running with cowl flaps open at 30 inches manifold pressure, I checked the fuel in the tanks.

NO1 Tank - 10,570 lbs
NO2 Tank - 9,120 lbs
Center Tank - 7,113 lbs
NO3 Tank - 9,120 lbs
NO4 Tank - 10,620 lbs

As you can see, the NO1 tank (tank to be balanced) has consumed 50 pounds of fuel.

Therefore, if I found while in flight one tank had more fuel than other tanks, I could fuel balance and consume from a specifc tank(s) to ensure I had a proper lateral balance.

The test was repeated for all other tanks (minus center tank) and produced similar results.

With that said, as described previously, when a selector is set to MAN TO ENG, then the order will be as described. If you need your inner tanks to drain in preference to your outer tanks, then you simply have your MAN TO ENG selected on all tanks (if the center is empty) or your inner tanks set to TANK TO ENG with fuel pumps on. Both have the same effect but however unnecessarily hard on your fuel pumps in the latter form.

If you were to plan a flight, you would consider how much fuel would be required for the flight (including secondary airport and emergency fuel) and equalize the fuel between all four tanks until they are full, then fill the center tank to the desired amount. (Keep in mind as described, the outer wing tanks should be equal or have more than the inner wing tanks. This is normal.

A schematic was not provided in our manual (by my decision) for several reasons. First of all, in both the American Overseas Airlines and the United Airlines flight manuals which I used as reference, had very different schematics (likely due to the many variations of 377 available). One of my manuals had none at all! Another reason was that the schematics were not pertinent to our model due to the nature of which our designers modelled it. Our 377 is not a specific model, but is reminiscent of the early models. Boeing even made it more complicated by the fact that these different variations of the plane were not given any special numerical sequencing to differentiate the various versions, and the airlines who had the different versions made no attempt to do so either. At best, one could only say that this plane could be a AOA 377, a PanAm 377, etc.... This is not the case with our model however. The inconsistency with the real planes, and the absolute complexity of the fuel system lead me to mimic to the best that I could the AOA version, which schematic also unfortunately isn't necessarily perfect either.

The AOA model had 10 fuel pump switches, a center body valve switch and 5 rotary positions on the selectors. Each fuel pump switch had multiple positions. Unfortunately however, the diagrams on these schematics are far from perfect, and as so are barely readable, which makes modeling them even harder.

We had to make the best of all worlds based upon our hands on experience with the KC-97, pilots accounts and multiple differing schematics.

Simply put, I put in the manual how to physically operate them and a basic understanding of how they work rather then get into the overly complex explanation of them. As in multiple manuals I was provided and purchased myself, this is however not necessarily unrealistic. One may find that when comparing the AOA 377 manual to say, the official Air Force T.O. for the C-97, there is a difference of 300+ pages! To say that the original 377 manuals of which the pilots used to operate the airplanes in the various versions the airlines used was skimpy is saying a lot.

It also goes to show have times have changed. No rivet goes unnoticed in aircraft manuals for the newer birds produced by giants like Boeing. The manual provided to you for the 377 is in many cases, including 90% of the fuel section, is taken verbatim directly from the original manuals.

The last thing I would like to address is the error you encountered in the very first post. After ensuring that the starting selector switch is set to off, I would be interested to see the experiment reproduced. As is, my current updated model is working correctly, therefore if there is an issue, it will soon be resolved nonetheless... IF there is an issue at all.

I hope our explanations help clear up some of your questions and testing.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”