Instrument Landing Indicator Erratic

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
gillesdubois
Airman Basic

Instrument Landing Indicator Erratic

Post by gillesdubois »

I use CYTR Trenton Airport, a Canadian Air Force Base where I once was, to test flight my aircrafts.
Rwy 24 ILS Freq. is 109.70 at 243 degrees.
I set NAV1 Freq. at the Navigator Station to 109.70.
I set the Course to 243 on the Pilot's panel.
As you can see from the picture below, It does not line up at all.
The only way it line up is when the Glide Slope is right on, if you are below or above the Glide Slope, the vertical bar is way off.
I never seen a ILS Indicator operating that way.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

We are looking into it and I am conducting tests at this moment.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Re: Instrument Landing Indicator Erratic

Post by ROB - A2A »

gillesdubois wrote:The only way it line up is when the Glide Slope is right on, if you are below or above the Glide Slope, the vertical bar is way off.
I never seen a ILS Indicator operating that way.
What's unusual in such behaviour? Is it too sensitive?

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

I tried other aircrafts and they show the same ILS indications for this runway.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Anyway, I've found some error (both needles are connecetd to GS) and it will be corrected, so thank you for posting, Gilles.

It seems, some runways arn't aligned with the ILS.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

JIMJAM
Airman

Post by JIMJAM »

I have just bought the plane and going through the learning curve. I did a short flight and was able to track a vor no problem.
I tried to dial in and track a loc into a runway but the needles did not appear to move.
I did not see any documentation other than a description/overview but no procedures.
So could someone explain HOW to use the radios to use the ils system.
Which switches,dials ect.
I would hate to either be doing it wrong and calling it a bug or doing it right and not knowing its not working correctly. Thanks, Jim

gillesdubois
Airman Basic

Post by gillesdubois »

I use this runway for every aircraft I test flight.
Below is a picture of the B17G which shows that it is properly lined up.
There is definitely something wrong with this indicator.

Regards

Gilles Dubois

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

O yes, I admit it is wrong and will be corrected.
A2A Simulations Inc.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

JIMJAM wrote:I have just bought the plane and going through the learning curve. I did a short flight and was able to track a vor no problem.
I tried to dial in and track a loc into a runway but the needles did not appear to move.
I did not see any documentation other than a description/overview but no procedures.
So could someone explain HOW to use the radios to use the ils system.
Which switches,dials ect.
I would hate to either be doing it wrong and calling it a bug or doing it right and not knowing its not working correctly. Thanks, Jim
Enter the ILS frequency to NAV1/ILS radio and catch the ILS beam. That's all.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

Trailboss
Airman

Using the ILS

Post by Trailboss »

This is a great add-on, congratulations to all involved!

I'm confused about the ILS. I read the posting in this section in which Rob A2A wrote " Anyway, I've found some error (both needles are connecetd to GS) and it will be corrected, so thank you for posting, Gilles."
I just downloaded and installed 377 on 8/2 and when I made an ILS approach to KSFO I set the LOC freq and course (191) for 19L. At about 20 nm the ILS indicator came to life showing exactly on LOC course and GS even though I was well east of the loc course. As I broke out of the clouds I was high (according to the VASI lights) and lined up to 19R. As I dove for the runway and sidestepped to 19L the indicator remained the same, vertical and horizontal bars crossed exactly in the middle.

Is this a symptom of what Rob described or something different? I would have thought if the LOC bar was erroneously tied to the GS it would have displaced as I did a fast descent to what I'm sure was below the glide slope.

Will this glitch be addressed in an SP or by some other means?

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

ROB - A2A wrote:Anyway, I've found some error (both needles are connecetd to GS) and it will be corrected, so thank you for posting, Gilles.

It seems, some runways arn't aligned with the ILS.

regards
ROB
Some runways are not exactly aligned with the ILS, and also, when you are just sittiing on the runway the ILS will not be aligned. It will be aligned only when you are actually in flight on a correct approach. Once you are on the ground it will not necessarily indicate correctly.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Re: Using the ILS

Post by SD_Research »

Trailboss wrote:This is a great add-on, congratulations to all involved!

I'm confused about the ILS. I read the posting in this section in which Rob A2A wrote " Anyway, I've found some error (both needles are connecetd to GS) and it will be corrected, so thank you for posting, Gilles."
I just downloaded and installed 377 on 8/2 and when I made an ILS approach to KSFO I set the LOC freq and course (191) for 19L. At about 20 nm the ILS indicator came to life showing exactly on LOC course and GS even though I was well east of the loc course. As I broke out of the clouds I was high (according to the VASI lights) and lined up to 19R. As I dove for the runway and sidestepped to 19L the indicator remained the same, vertical and horizontal bars crossed exactly in the middle.

Is this a symptom of what Rob described or something different? I would have thought if the LOC bar was erroneously tied to the GS it would have displaced as I did a fast descent to what I'm sure was below the glide slope.

Will this glitch be addressed in an SP or by some other means?
If both needles are driven by the GS, then both will be centered if you are on glideslope and you will have the idea that all is well. If you are off the localizer a bit, this won't show. You were probably pretty well on course and once you had the runway visually the localizer error wouldn't have mattered.

gillesdubois
Airman Basic

Post by gillesdubois »

Thanks Rob - A2A for the response.
When could we expect the fix for the ILS.
It is very hard to line up to runways with only the ADF operating properly, expecially in bad weather.
The passengers do not appreciate a fighter approach.

Many Thanks

Gilles Dubois

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”