Shortest landing

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Shortest landing

Post by FireRescue85 »

Yesterday I was off of work, spending the day with my newborn. During nap time I caught the tail end of the movie “Everest”, and then threw on “Summit of the Gods” (another Everest movie) on Netflix.

You can probably see where this is going.

Yes, I want to attempt landing the mighty 377 at Lukla airport, which is routinely toted as the most dangerous airport in the world.

If you’re unfamiliar with the airport I recommend a quick YouTube search. A steep runway angle, mountains on 3 sides negating any possible go around, rapidly changing weather, and a distance of only 1,700’ help it earn this title.

So, purely for science and boredom: what’s the shortest landing you’ve ever accomplished in the 377? Is something like this even feasible to do safely? (I use that in a loose term. Safely as in “landing besides stalling out over the runway and having the parking break set upon touchdown”)

-Scott
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Shortest landing

Post by Jacques »

Its a good challenge, Scott! Is it feasible….no. Compare to the aircraft flying in to Lukla… Let 410 , Dornier 228, Twin Otters and PC-6 Porters….and Helicopters. Uni-directional airport, nearly 10,000 ft elevation…

It IS a really great challenge in the proper aircraft, though. So, if you’re so inclined it is very satisfying to finally nail a landing there!

That said, I spent the better part of an hour trying to land (unsuccessfully) the Spitfire at Lukla…so, if you can get the airspeed down and the angle right…maybe…?

One note of caution…if it is the Aerosoft version (which is very well done) doesn’t tolerate any deviation from the runway!

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

Jacques wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 11:49
One note of caution…if it is the Aerosoft version (which is very well done) doesn’t tolerate any deviation from the runway!
Correct! That's the addon scenery I'm using. Just got it and installed it, currently going to mess around with the airport using the DH-6 that comes with Aerosoft's Antarctic package!

-Scott
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Perfect! I think there’s a Nepal Airlines paint for that in one of the usual places, if you’d like to blend in with the crowd. Landing there in the twin otter also takes some practice, but its really fun when it all comes together! I think Aerosoft also included Syangboche airport further up the valley towards the Everest base camp , near Namche Bazaar, which can be an interesting diversion if things don’t go well in Lukla!

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”