A small tutorial of the 3D lights process

Turn ON the LIGHTS for Microsoft FS9 / FSX with this all-new version of a great package
ggiarda
Airman

Re: A small tutorial of the 3D lights process

Post by ggiarda »

Tornado_F5 wrote:Hello all
I need some explanations about the Landing Lights entry in panel.cfg

That's what I found in the database of the website:
PMDG 747-400
PANEL.CFG
[VCockpit01]
gauge20=shockwave_lights!SW Lights, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
gauge21=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
But in the topic, I've found
PANEL.CFG DEFINITIONS
SW Lights_foldwing – Turns off LANDING lights when placed on folding wings and wings are folded
SW_Lights_gear – Turns off LANDING lights when placed on retractable landing gear and gear is retracted
SW_Lights_taxi_gear - Turns off TAXI lights when placed on retractable landing gear and gear is retracted
What's the right code ?
Sincerely
Tornado can I ask you where can I find this topic that explains the meaning of all the panel.cfg configurations you recalled?
Thanks
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

HoggyDog
Airman Basic

Post by HoggyDog »

Is there some place to find a concise list of the current (FSX Redux package) Shockwave effects and a brief description of each?

Example:
fx_Shockwave_strobe_nl_2: White strobe with broken bulb (not lit), 2 weeks since it last worked
fx_Shockwave_beacon_nowl: Red beacon that has a neutered owl living in it

As you can see from my facetious definitions, "nl_2" and "nowl" are far from intuitive or informative as to what they mean.

Thanks-
Last edited by HoggyDog on 28 Nov 2009, 15:53, edited 7 times in total.
ex Nasal Radiator
Commercial / Instruments
AOPA

HoggyDog
Airman Basic

Post by HoggyDog »

Scott - A2A wrote: EXAMPLE of Microsoft 747

AIRCRAFT.CFG
[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.1 = 3, -223.85, 0.00, 8.85, fx_shockwave_navwhi_l ,
light.2 = 2, -228.97, 0.00, 44.62, fx_shockwave_strobe_l ,
light.3 = 1, -45.05, 0.00, 15.65, fx_shockwave_beaconh ,
light.4 = 1, -80.22, 0.00, -11.05, fx_shockwave_beaconb ,
light.5 = 4, -18.24, 0.00, 11.19, fx_shockwave_vclight_l,
light.6 = 6, -20.0, 0.0, -11.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_747_nose // Shockwave light
light.7 = 5, -71.0, 18.0, -4.7, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_747_rw // Shockwave light
light.8 = 5, -71.0, -18.0, -4.7, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_747_lw // Shockwave light
light.9 = 5, -40.0, 0, -20, fx_shockwave_landing_light_light_l,

Light 6 is a taxi light (#6 means TAXI) and lights 7 and 8 are LANDING lights (#5 means LANDING).
I'm trying to educate myself about the position references in FSX. I believe that I have figured out that the numbers represent offsets from a datum- longitudinally, laterally and vertically. I have intuited that negative numbers of latitude are to the left (port) side and vice versa, and that positive numbers of verticality are up, and vice versa.

I'm stumped on longitude. In the references above, ALL of the longitudinal references are negative, leading me to believe that the datum (reference point) is the tip of the nose. That's why the nose gear light is at -20.00, or 20 feet back from the tip of the nose. However, later in the same thread, Joost shows a longitudinal reference for a nose gear light as follows:
jostytosty wrote:For instance the nose wheel is in the middle so it has to be something like:
light.12=6, 29.95, 0.0, -3.93, fx_Shockwave whatever light you want
the 0.0 is the figure that places the lights in the middle seen from the front.
6 is the type of light (5= landing 6= taxi)
So the nose gear on HIS airplane is about 30 feet FORWARD of the datum... leading to the inescapable conclusion that the datum is somewhere in the middle of the airplane.

Or, if I have my longitudinal polarity backwards, -20.00 means 20 feet forward of datum (per Scott) and +29.95 means ~30 feet aft of datum per Joost. Either way, I'm baffled and need an explanation from someone, please, as to where "datum" is supposed to be and whether negative numbers mean forward or aft of datum.

Please, somebody help me to understand longitudinal offsets and how a nose gear light can be both -20.00 (20 feet aft OR forward of datum per Scott) and +29.95 (~30 feet forward OR aft of datum per Joosty), since nose gears are pretty much in similar positions (um, on or close to centerline, more or less under the nose and "a bit" AFT of the very front tip of the nose or the prop spinner) on ALL aircraft so equipped.

If you guys tell me that sometimes datum is the nose and other times the CG, I'll just shoot myself now and save everyone any future irritating questions from me.... :mrgreen:

Thanks
ex Nasal Radiator
Commercial / Instruments
AOPA

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

HoggyDog wrote:If you guys tell me that sometimes datum is the nose and other times the CG, I'll just shoot myself now and save everyone any future irritating questions from me.
I hate to have to tell you this but..................

....all dimensions are taken from the model's 'Point of Origin' (PoO) and the designer can make that PoO anywhere he likes either inside or outside the model limits.

Generally speaking, for aircraft, the PoO is usually located on the longitudinal centreline (centred up/down and left/right) just aft of the LE of the wing in the area where you would expect to find the CoG located.

In the examples you describe above the differences between the two could either arise due to the size of the aircraft (i.e. one location is much further forward than the other and hence has a positive value) or because one of them has it's PoO in an unusual location.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Kicooi157
Airman

Post by Kicooi157 »

CaptainHolland1994 wrote:Hi , i've read you're tutorial but i'm Dutch ( and 13 yrs old ) , my Englisch is pretty good but somtimes I don't understand what your tut says :oops:
I really love Shockwave 3D lights so I would like to add it to my PMDG 737-800 :D
Maybe if I copy and past my AIRCRAFT.CFG here maybe you can :?: :roll:
Would be great! :mrgreen:

Bye!
Off Topic: If you would like to know a good website for learning languages, i would suggest livemocha.com
Image Image Image Image
Yep......

jetnet22
Airman Basic

Post by jetnet22 »

Thanks for that.
That's fine.

emils
Airman Basic

Post by emils »

Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Norforce »

Change the paint job :-)
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

emils
Airman Basic

Post by emils »

This is my paint ;)
Maybe I can change parameters? But i don't know which :?:

Freedom5
Airman First Class

Post by Freedom5 »

emils wrote:Hello!
How can I fix this? fx WILL NOT LET ME MAKE CHANGES TO THE LIGHT CONFIG.Previously when I installed Shockwave lights they were automatically added to the stock ac config files. Any help appreciated. I have tried running the program as Administrator - still no luck.

freedom5

http://images39.fotosik.pl/847/0e9d5fec68b1d132.jpg

Bobbidude
Airman Basic

Post by Bobbidude »

It appears i did not receive the default 747 lights in my download. I use the default 747 from time to time and have many of the add ons that make this model more realistic. Does any one know how i can get these lights?

Bobbidude
Airman Basic

Post by Bobbidude »

EXAMPLE of Microsoft 747

AIRCRAFT.CFG
[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.1 = 3, -223.85, 0.00, 8.85, fx_shockwave_navwhi_l ,
light.2 = 2, -228.97, 0.00, 44.62, fx_shockwave_strobe_l ,
light.3 = 1, -45.05, 0.00, 15.65, fx_shockwave_beaconh ,
light.4 = 1, -80.22, 0.00, -11.05, fx_shockwave_beaconb ,
light.5 = 4, -18.24, 0.00, 11.19, fx_shockwave_vclight_l,
light.6 = 6, -20.0, 0.0, -11.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_747_nose // Shockwave light
light.7 = 5, -71.0, 18.0, -4.7, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_747_rw // Shockwave light
light.8 = 5, -71.0, -18.0, -4.7, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_747_lw // Shockwave light
light.9 = 5, -40.0, 0, -20, fx_shockwave_landing_light_light_l,

Light 6 is a taxi light (#6 means TAXI) and lights 7 and 8 are LANDING lights (#5 means LANDING).

Doesn't the default 747 have red/green nav lights??

Manf
Airman Basic

Post by Manf »

I've been one of those lost with configuring 3d Lights to work well with 738. I seem to have solved all my issues ofcourse after reading,understanding,following,experimenting,connecting etc what's said in the forum and outside the forum. Issues like: 1) Manually switching ON/OFF Taxi Lights & Landing Lights. 2) Automatic switch OFF of Taxi Light after retracting gear. 3) Separating Taxi Lights from Landing Lights Ground Splash. 4) Independent Taxi Lights Switch from Landing Lights Switch. 5) I even created Retractable Landing Lights you see on a NG738 under the fuselage. I also tweaked FSX to my ideal "realistic" configuration that some folks might be looking for solutions too. Reply and I'd be glad to help. =) Again, I'll give credit always to whom credit is due.

new reply

Return to “A2A Simulations 3D LIGHTS REDUX”