Need help on 9600ft and higher..

A Living Legend
new reply
wyldmagik
Airman Basic

Need help on 9600ft and higher..

Post by wyldmagik »

Hello all..

Bit of background first on what my problem is...

Got startup and taxi and takeoff down pat.. and most fun it is..

But now, climbing with 2300rpm 140-150knts not a problem with Manifold pressure at around 39gh.. works fine.. I am monitoring head temps and they are anything from 197-203 max.. which is all good..

Ok so i hit 9000ft, 9600, and then i notice the airspeed has fallen off almost immediatley to around 120 and falling slowly.. so i check head temps and its at 237. i think ouch darn they are burning up due to the long climb out to alt...

So i open cowl flaps fully first to see what effect this has. ok great temps end up at around 203 which is fine. by now ive leveled off without the AP to keep it from stalling..

so i think of temps are now reasonable ill see if i can carry on with my climb to 16.600 with AP..

I set ROC to only 200ft/m I even gave it a little tad more throttle just to give it some edge on the climb initialy..

This is what happens..

Temps stay within tolerance, airspeed still falls off to 100knts, and i go into a very bad wing down stall which i end up struggling like i was in ww2 and been shot at by a batch of 190's.. i could not pull out unfortunatley and went to visit davey jones..

Any ideas on how or why this happened ?

All feedback appreciated. id like to get this bird to 24000ft as one should be able to..

Cheers,

James..

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

You failed to mention that you were/were not adjusting your prop pitch for the differences in air pressure/density at altitude.
Snuffy

A/C
A2A Major

Post by A/C »

Snuffy_Hadden wrote:You failed to mention that you were/were not adjusting your prop pitch for the differences in air pressure/density at altitude.
To which I add..... What does Gh mean? What were your inches of HG?

Were you reading fuel flow or maniforld pressure?

I assume that you had pulled up your gear and flaps after take-off and that you hadn't opened your bomb doors. but you never said you reduced your cowl flaps from full open after your CHT came down,,, They create a lot of drag.

Also, did you check redl light on green lites out for gear as well as IF the flaps had retracted fully?

What is your gross weight?

Are you iced up? :wink:

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

Snuffy_Hadden wrote:You failed to mention that you were/were not adjusting your prop pitch for the differences in air pressure/density at altitude.
They are fixed pitch props, they do not need adjusting for air pressure or density, only for the relationship to manifold pressure and take-off/climb/cruise.

What is happening here is that the OP has forgotten to engage auto-mixture in the FSX realism settings...
Simon Evans

wyldmagik
Airman Basic

Post by wyldmagik »

ah auto mix not set in fsx? seems strange id of thought that be default. ill check it out. as to the ref of the GH remark, are u really going to hang on you did, bring that up,, it was obviously a typo its HG..

If it was a funny I didnt catch on :) and if it was a general question it didnt read well to me :P

Ill check out the automix setting..

cowl flaps were reduced back to 3/4 open btw.. umm no bomb doors were shut i dont have that key command mapped incase of doing something silly. and wheels were deff up...

Ill takei t for another spin later and check it out again..

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”