B-17 and Gamespy

A Living Legend
new reply
Cell
Airman Basic

B-17 and Gamespy

Post by Cell »

I was just wondering if anyone's sussed out how to get the B-17 online. I know it's something to do with the four engines description in the cfg but what does it need changing to ?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'm not sure of what problem you are speaking of?

But ive just reviewed your last MP thread and noticed that it seemed down to fsx itself and not WOP aircraft. Since your having so many troubles perhaps you could try a different method of multiplay. Most people fly online using FSHost. Google search for it and I suggest you use this, the plus side is you can fly with people who have only fs9 and ive never had any problems with it :wink:

I'm sure Rob can post here to tell us more but there simply should be No problems.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: B-17 and Gamespy

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Cell wrote:I was just wondering if anyone's sussed out how to get the B-17 online. I know it's something to do with the four engines description in the cfg but what does it need changing to ?
Nothing. If you change anything regarding the engines in the CFG the aircraft will not function properly.

In order to get the aircraft to work properly the host of the session MUST have a 4 engine prop aircraft as well. Preferably, so should everyone in the session. If the host has one and nobody else, those people who don't will not see you, even on their radar screens if they happen to be ATC.

So, in short, the easiest way to get the aircraft online is to have the host have a 4 engine prop plane along with everyone else. If you just want to fly with someone in a pilot/copilot situation, as long as you both have the aircraft and the host (or you can just create a session yourself) has a replacement, then you are golden.
ImageImage
ImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Lewis - Shockwave wrote: But ive just reviewed your last MP thread and noticed that it seemed down to fsx itself and not WOP aircraft.
This is absolutely down to FSX Lewis. The designers at ACES never expected this situation to occur and simply didn't code in a replacement aircraft. For example, when you load into a multiplayer session with the WOPII P-51D Mustang, people who do not have the aircraft load another single engine prop aircraft, such as a Cessna 172 etc as a visual replacement. Based on engine type (and other factors), replacement aircraft are given for visual representations on the servers.

The issue with the B-17 is that ACES didn't program a visual replacement for a 4 engine propeller driven aircraft at all. This holds true as well for 4 engine turbo prop, multiple engine helos, 3 engine jets, 3 engine props... the list goes on and on and on.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Cell
Airman Basic

Post by Cell »

Hi Guys,
@Lewis, the previous was tested out by a couple of guys from the Aces beta team which was traced to a specific problem with Mango's set up. I however don't seem to have this lag problem. Mango recently upgraded to Vista so we tried again a couple of days ago see if the lagging had changed, but sadly it hadn't. So we are none the wiser lol

I've not tried getting the B-17 online lately but will try again today. The last time I tried I was hosting and it still wouldn't connect. The odd thing is we have completed a RTW tour on Gamespy using the P-3 Orion, which of course is a four engines TP. So why does that one work no problem but 17 doesn't.

We shall give the 17 a good going over today.

btw Lewis we just find it easier to use Gamespy rather than FShost, which we do actually have one :) Oh and are you wet enough ? We are flooding over here in Pool.......we only live about 100 feet from the river Aire, get the sand bags out :(

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I have no issues regarding getting the B-17 to load, barring the issues I described above. Have you upgraded to SP1? You could be having a conflict with an addon. Check FSUIPC etc and make sure you have the latest updates. Most of these programs have been updated since SP1.
was tested out by a couple of guys from the Aces beta team which was traced to a specific problem with Mango's set up.
One of the guys that helped I believe was Geoff, the guy that runs FS-MP. He is also the same guy that helped me conclude the issue about the 4 engines and the .cfg files, along with spurs of inspiration elsewhere.

If I am wrong, please correct me. I seem to have specific knowledge on what you are talking about because at FS-MP we are testing these theories and issues on a daily basis and I believe your issue with the Spitfire was brought up and tested multiple times.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'm at a complete loss as to what an earth is happening here.

And yes the scuba gear is on standby, another night of rain tonight :?

Cell
Airman Basic

Post by Cell »

Cody, Geoff helps us check the Spitfire problem. It turns out I didn't have a problem but Mango did. He still has the problem though so we are out of ideas.

Anyway, back to the B-17. We tried again on Friday and both myself and Mango flew the 17 online. This is the first time we tried it under SP1 so something must have changed somewhere.

Some shots for you to check out :)

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/in ... pic=118347

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Nice shots there. It looks like you had great fun. :)

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Cell wrote:Cody, Geoff helps us check the Spitfire problem. It turns out I didn't have a problem but Mango did. He still has the problem though so we are out of ideas.
Geoff and myself had several long conversations about this specifically. He often consulted me because of my knowledge of Shockwave aircraft online. Mango's issue still puzzles me. It could even be ISP related, as I recently found my ISP screwed up my DNS something fierce. Point is, there could be a ton of issues, however I sincerely believe that they are not Shockwave related.
Anyway, back to the B-17. We tried again on Friday and both myself and Mango flew the 17 online. This is the first time we tried it under SP1 so something must have changed somewhere.

Some shots for you to check out :)

http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/in ... pic=118347
Glad you got the B-17 working. Remember my golden rule. If the host doesn't have a 4 engine aircraft, that B-17 won't fly!

Talk to you later. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

-Cody
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

aha,

Great to hear that SP1 sorted out the problems :D And great to hear you had so much fun flying, not to mention taking some brilliant screenshots! :shock:

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”