CAB Help Needed

A Living Legend
new reply
bluez87
Airman Basic

CAB Help Needed

Post by bluez87 »

I spoke to soon about success with the change for the Carb Filter Lights.
When I double click on the XB17G.CAB file, the files are all displayed in WinZip.

I right click on the file Carb Filter OFF.XML and select edit, which opens Notepad.

Unfortunately, WinZip will not allow the file to be edited within the folder. The edited file will appear by default in the Local Settings/TEMP folder.

Any attempt to move the edited file from TEMP to the main folder is blocked. All attempts are met with the statement: “Carb filter OFF.XML has been changed since it was extracted. Delete this file?”

If you select Yes, the edited file is back at the default setting of “0”. If you click NO, the dialogue exits and you see nothing.

Suggestions?

I have read elsewhere that special programs, such as iCOMP6 are required to edit CAB files. Is this correct?

I tried to download iCOMP6, but ran into problems once again. The text instructions say only to “Place iCOMP 6.exe wherever you want, preferably in the path.” This may make sense to people familiar with this type of program, but has little use for anyone else. Surely it makes a difference where the .exe file is located. Placing it “in the path” would be helpful I guess, but what path? Where?

Sorry for all of the novice questions, but any help would be appreciated. I have years of computer experience and I am familiar with various editing of critical files, understanding the need for backup, etc., but I have never worked with games or editing cab files.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.
Dennis

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Here's the CAB SDK:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310618

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”