B-17G "Sally B"

A Living Legend
new reply
Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

B-17G "Sally B"

Post by Bomber_12th »

Here's another repaint for the WOP II B-17. "Sally B" is the UK's last remaining airworthy B-17.

I just uploaded this repaint to Avsim...look for file name wopiib17sallyb.zip.

Wehner
Senior Airman

Post by Wehner »

mighty good! Thank you. Are those historically accurate ?

Michael.
Nobody criticized the pilot for making that slow roll. American fighter pilots are supposed to have enough steam in their breeches to try something out of the book once in a while. The fact that he didn't make it was his own business.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

The repaints I do are mainly based on aircraft that are currently flying...I think it better matches flying these aircraft in the modern sim. This particular scheme is not historically accurate, but does have all sorts of meaning, and is accurate to the real aircraft flying today. In 1975, when the aircraft was brought to England and purchased by Ted White, the aircraft was painted in historical markings accept the nose art and name, "Sally B," was chosen because of Ted White's companion Elly Sallingboe. In 1982 Ted White was killed when his Harvard crashed in Malta and as a tribute to him the third cowling will always be painted in black and yellow checkers, the same way the cowl on his Harvard was painted. In 1990, the aircraft was used in the filming of the Memphis Belle, as Memphis Belle. From there on out it has been painted in the markings of the Memphis Belle it wore for the movie, with the addition of the Sally B nose art on the left side and the yellow and black checkered third cowl. Since 1982, Elly Sallingboe has been the head of the B-17 Preservation Society, keeping Sally B flying.

Cherokeepilot19
Senior Airman

Post by Cherokeepilot19 »

great paint, but two things

even though the paint itself may be accurate, the real Memphis Belle was a B-17F.

there is a green film on the tires when spinning fast

otherwise it looks nice and i am looking forward to more b-17 repaints!
"A good landing is one you can walk away from.. A great landing is one when you can reuse the plane!" :D
i9-9900k @ 5.2 GHz W/C'ed
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti HYBRID 11GB
32GB DDR4 @ 3400 MHz
ASUS Z390-E | EVGA 1200w P2
970 Evo+ 512gb

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Well when it was in the film they modified it to resemble an F model but it always has been a G model and looks like a G model, so it fits this repaint (I'm not talking about the real Memphis Belle).

http://sallyb.dcgservices.com/

I have no explanation for the problem with the wrong textures being pulled for when the tires spin. I get the same thing with the default skins too from time to time. It can be corrected if you go back and reselect the aircraft again. It does not have anything to do with a messed up layout of the textures...you can check mine up against the default examples and they are a perfect match - it obviously has puzzled me but I can't seem to find any answer to it.
Last edited by Bomber_12th on 23 May 2007, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.

John Pimlott
Senior Airman

Post by John Pimlott »

Cherokeepilot19 wrote:great paint, but two things

even though the paint itself may be accurate, the real Memphis Belle was a B-17F.

there is a green film on the tires when spinning fast

otherwise it looks nice and i am looking forward to more b-17 repaints!
Indeed! But Sally B's a B-17G. She was made up as Memphis Belle for the movie of the same name and has remained the same ever since.
Best wishes.
John.
:D

Wehner
Senior Airman

Post by Wehner »

Bomber_12th wrote:The repaints I do are mainly based on aircraft that are currently flying...I think it better matches flying these aircraft in the modern sim. This particular scheme is not historically accurate, but does have all sorts of meaning, and is accurate to the real aircraft flying today. In 1975, when the aircraft was brought to England and purchased by Ted White, the aircraft was painted in historical markings accept the nose art and name, "Sally B," was chosen because of Ted White's companion Elly Sallingboe. In 1982 Ted White was killed when his Harvard crashed in Malta and as a tribute to him the third cowling will always be painted in black and yellow checkers, the same way the cowl on his Harvard was painted. In 1990, the aircraft was used in the filming of the Memphis Belle, as Memphis Belle. From there on out it has been painted in the markings of the Memphis Belle it wore for the movie, with the addition of the Sally B nose art on the left side and the yellow and black checkered third cowl. Since 1982, Elly Sallingboe has been the head of the B-17 Preservation Society, keeping Sally B flying.
That's great, you offering these amazing repaints and the trivia. And yes I read that they used a G Model in the film that was modified to resemble a F model. They should include your repaints with the bird.

Have a good day,
Michael.
Nobody criticized the pilot for making that slow roll. American fighter pilots are supposed to have enough steam in their breeches to try something out of the book once in a while. The fact that he didn't make it was his own business.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”