C-1 Autopilot only partially functional

A Living Legend
new reply
Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

C-1 Autopilot only partially functional

Post by Jacques »

I’ve been trying to sort this for a couple of days and cannot seem to cancel the issue. The C-1 works in every way save one - it will not turn to the left when commanded to do so. I’ve got the adjustments made and the c-1 is tuned just as it was in FSX. It turns as expected to the right but is entirely unresponsive when commanding a turn to the left. I also see from an external view that a commanded turn to the right deflect the ailerons correctly while commands to the left do not move ailerons at all. Maybe a coding issue? The platform is P3Dv4.5 and the b-17 is all updated to the latest version. It appears the FS Autopilot works, but it would be fantastic to have the C-1 looked at and made fully functional again!

Thanks!

JP

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: C-1 Autopilot only partially functional

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jacques,

I've just run a couple of tests, one in P3Dv5 and one in v4.5.14 and in both instances, the C-1 operated as expected, commanding turns to both the left and right. Here's a screen capture of the left turn from my test in P3Dv4.

2022-6-4_10-59-49-534.jpg
2022-6-4_10-59-49-534.jpg (355.12 KiB) Viewed 2898 times

Any chance you could share a similar pic showing the status of the switches and the PDI just so we can see if anything looks different? For what it's worth, I also tested the 'bombardier heading hold' function and this worked fine too, with the aircraft turning both left and right to hold the desired heading.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Nick, thanks for your response! It does look the same as I have mine except for the tuning for “sensitivity”, “Ratio” and “Turn Compensation”. I have those set to the tunings I used in FSX. I’m away for a bit but I will set those indicators back to neutral, give that a test when I get home and see if that solves the problem!

JP

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jacques,

Yeah, let us know how you get on please. I don't think anything has been changed with regards to coding the autopilot functionality for P3D, but one thing we've seen is that the frequent changes within P3D can very occasionally throw up unexpected issues.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lo2f3ip7fdwkd ... 1.JPG?dl=0

[urlhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/ctggw678ls75mq6/A2A%2 ... e.JPG?dl=0][/url]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzsbqeiau0t0e ... 1.JPG?dl=0

Hopefully these images are visible, Nick. It has been AGES since I've tried sharing a screenshot!
I think I've loaded them out of order! Picture 2 is with all the control surfaces calibrated in the C1 during level flight. Notice I couldn't cancel the Elevator no matter what I tried. When the lights extinguished I would flip the switch and it would instantly be out of calibration. Picture 1 shows a nearly full left turn selected and the nose rising above the horizon.
Picture three is a close up outside of the elevators deflected fully up while the left turn is fully commanded on the C1.There is no Aileron input given, nor any rudder input despite the C1 showing,deflection via the lights on the C1.

I hope this helps...and just to be thorough, none of the control locks are on...all the controls are free and correct before the C1 is engaged>

Patrick Mussotte
Airman

Post by Patrick Mussotte »

Hello Nick ans Jacques!
I did a flight today and the AP C1 worked like charm in P3D4.5. I followed the C1 book, page 6 it is stated to place the "Master switch" on as soon as after takeoff and also at least 10 mn before use. I don't know if these conditions are simulated(Unit in temperature and Gyro fully erected)but this time the AP worked flawlessly :D
Cheers
Patrick
ImageImage

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Patrick, that’s great news! I do allow for a lengthy warm up before trying to engage the C-1…the real puzzling part is: a) what am I doing wrong, or b) what has broken in my iteration of the B-17 for a full elevator up action when the C-1 should be commanding aileron and rudder inputs for a turn to the left?

Patrick Mussotte
Airman

Post by Patrick Mussotte »

Hi Jacques!
I guess you followed these steps:
0- All axis manually trimmed
1- Master switch ON
2- Centering at 0
3- After 10' of warmup and in cruise, Engage PDI Servo and ask bombardier to center PDI(Lights should extinguish)
4- Engage the 3 axis now.
I proceeded this way and it worked. I noticed that turn have to be done at a very low bank angle, with anticipation, to avoid high pitch mouvement. After all this is a very basic AP :wink:
Regards
Patrick
ImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good to hear you've got the C-1 working successfully Patrick. :)

Thanks for the screenshots Jacques - interesting that you're still having an issue. I know you're a long time veteran of the forums here, so you're probably already aware, but is your default flight in P3D modified at all to use a complex third-party add-on? Sometimes this can cause unexpected issues.

If not, one thing you could try is to back up the entire "Documents\A2A\FSX\L049" folder and then delete it, just in case something there has become corrupted.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I checked and re-checked to ensure I wasn’t missing a step but no luck so far.
I appreciate your efforts, though!
Last edited by Jacques on 06 Jun 2022, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Nick,

Yes, the startup is always the stock Mooney Bravo (at Friday Harbor). I did already delete the Documents/A2A/FSX/B17 folder contents which didn’t alleviate the issue as of a few minutes ago.

I also notice in the same location a folder labeled P3D with P40, Bonanza and B17 subfolders, the B17 folder being empty while the Bonanza and P 40 are being written to by a CFG file which, I guess is okay(?).

I think its important to note one observation, with the aircraft trimmed in level flight and the C-1 on and warmed up (10-20 mins…to be sure), I center the aileron, then the rudder and then the elevator. But, the elevator never really centers i.e. the lights only extinguish momentarily and then one or the other illuminate again. If I DO get them both extinguished and manage to select the elevator ON, one of the lights will always light up again and won't extinguish, so when that control surface is activated by the C-1 it is always out of balance.

Here’s the strange part: command a turn to the right and you get a coordinated turn to the right.
But, when you center the turn control and then command a turn to the left, the aircraft pitches up…and that is all you get…nose up!

I have tried deleting the .dat file and then uninstall/reinstall with no relief.

I hope I’ve given you enough to work with, Nick. Let me know if you need more information and I’ll do my best to get it to you! I’m completely at a loss!

JP

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”