Windshield rain effect fps.

A Living Legend
HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Windshield rain effect fps.

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

I noticed that when I fly my B-17 in the rain the windshield effect will slowly decrease the frame rate, I don't usually fly in the rain so just assumed it was rain in P3D or envtex being weird but after looking into it more it appears to be the B-17 only.
I loaded into a rainy weather theme and after a few minutes the frame rate had dropped significantly, for now I've disabled the effect's cfg file and I'm not too worried about it but it'd be nice to have looked into at some point.

Happy new year!
-Memey
AKA "Memey"

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Windshield rain effect fps.

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

which weather engine are you using and which P3D version?

There was an old memory leak issue that would cause it, but was fixed in later version of the platform and the weather engine. From memory it was Active Sky that had an issue during a previous iteration.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 04:22 Hello,

which weather engine are you using and which P3D version?

There was an old memory leak issue that would cause it, but was fixed in later version of the platform and the weather engine. From memory it was Active Sky that had an issue during a previous iteration.

thanks,
Lewis
Thanks for the response

I am using the latest version of P3D (5.3 HF1) and the latest version of active sky p3d (8027)
AKA "Memey"

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Lewis, I did a test and made sure to watch the ram/memory usage and I think your on to something, after letting it sit for a couple of minutes the ram usage went up as the fps went down and then the sim kinda broke (see included pics).
The ram usage seemed to bottom out at 70% which is probably the maximum that my system allocates to p3d. Fyi I have 16gb of ram.

I'll keep it turned off for now but it'll be nice to get it sorted as it's a pretty cool feature to have.
AKA "Memey"

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

I've done more testing and I'm a bit confused to how I didn't notice beforehand but it's the gpu usage not the memory. My gpu usage is usually at 99-100% but when I'm sat in the B-17 in the rain and my fps is a bit lower than usual the gpu usage is at 100% but spiking down to 80% and then over the next few minutes the gpu usage gets lower and lower as the fps does too. I'm currently sat at 55% GPU usage at 27fps (usually at the default airport I'd get about 60 maybe a bit more).

Sorry for not seeing it sooner, the task manager window was small enough that gpu usage was cutoff and I didn't think to check it until today.
AKA "Memey"

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Try it without active sky weather on or running at all in the sim just using default p3d weather just to see how the results are.

thanks,
Lewis

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:40 Try it without active sky weather on or running at all in the sim just using default p3d weather just to see how the results are.

thanks,
Lewis
I should've mentioned, I was testing it without activesky.
AKA "Memey"

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks for the confirmation on the active sky just for clarification was it turned off or disabled from running in the sim altogether?

Can I also ask what happens if you lower your display settings in the sim too.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 16:13 Thanks for the confirmation on the active sky just for clarification was it turned off or disabled from running in the sim altogether?

Can I also ask what happens if you lower your display settings in the sim too.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
I'm a little confused between the differences of turned off and disabled I just didn't open activesky when launching the sim and used the p3d "grey and rainy" preset hopefully that clarifies it.
As for lowering my display settings, the issue still occurs at the same rate as with my usual settings.
AKA "Memey"

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Do you run any other mods like shader mods or p3d cfg tweaks?

As I just left my B-17 on the ground at Norwich for an hour and a half in the rain and could not replicate this even for that length of time. What are your PC specs, are you on the lower end GPU wise?

my own test is in a stock P3D install, no custom scenery etc.

thanks,
Lewis

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 08:18 Do you run any other mods like shader mods or p3d cfg tweaks?

As I just left my B-17 on the ground at Norwich for an hour and a half in the rain and could not replicate this even for that length of time. What are your PC specs, are you on the lower end GPU wise?

my own test is in a stock P3D install, no custom scenery etc.

thanks,
Lewis
I have a small shader mod installed for the ea sky colours but the rain bug had been around long before I installed it. Otherwise there's nothing shader related installed.
I have an rtx 2060oc, i7 9700k and 16gb ddr4 3200MHz ram.

My gpu is the bottleneck as I'm on a 1440p monitor. I also have it overclocked and when typing this I thought that maybe that was the issue but sadly after testing the gpu on default settings I can confirm that it made no change.
AKA "Memey"

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Can you try resetting your P3D shaders and rebuilding your P3D cfg by removing it to let a new one be built.

thanks,
Lewis

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 06:49 Can you try resetting your P3D shaders and rebuilding your P3D cfg by removing it to let a new one be built.

thanks,
Lewis
Yep, I did both and sadly nothing changed.
AKA "Memey"

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

mmmm very strange, I wonder what it is about your system that's making this happen. When you updated P3D did you do a full reinstall or just a part update? Are your drivers all up to date from Nvidia?

thanks,
Lewis

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 05:33 mmmm very strange, I wonder what it is about your system that's making this happen. When you updated P3D did you do a full reinstall or just a part update? Are your drivers all up to date from Nvidia?

thanks,
Lewis
I know right it's very weird.
I did a full reinstall to 5.3 and then only installed the required client etc with the hotfixes which is my normal routine but it was doing this long before I updated to 5.3 (For some reason I never posted about it until now :roll: ) so it can't be that.

My Nvidia drivers are up to date and I've used ddu and then reinstalled them a few times in the past for other stuff which clearly hasn't fixed it.
AKA "Memey"

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”